Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

peak performance

At 92K you've already missed the best window of opportunity for switching to synth. oil. Be aware that if you switch now you may start some leaks by cleaning out accumulated junk out of the engine. If its strong and the body's in good shape it could still be worth doing, but I would stick...
  2. S

Autotranny Woes

A heads up for A4LD drivers popping in and out of OD and / or torque converter lock-up. Check out the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Cheap fix under $200. BTW when was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? Do it TODAY! Put a big after-market tranny cooler on whatever driving you do...
  3. S

Tranny woes

My '91 Navajo started poping in & out of OD and TC lockup. Reading all the posts here and with 115K on the original tranny I got worried big time. Turns out it was just the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) $160 later we're good to go. BTW: A tranny cooler & regular fluid changes really help the...
  4. S

1998 rust problems?

I have a '91 Navajo that I have run all year round in Wisconsin. Also had 10 mile commute on "salt road" I've seen them salting bare, dry pavement in winter before it snows. Anyway, rust wise it was great till about '99 or '00. Driver side rocker now gone (like every explorer over 5 years...
  5. S

Automatic Transmission Dying?

Got a '91 Mazda Navajo w/ 115K miles. First 6 years or so spent every summer weekend towing 3000lb boat (5 - 25 mi) Not so much last few yrs. I use cruise control alot! Ext. tranny cooler since mile 1. Fuild changed every 40-50K. Problem: Started when using cruise control(CC) @65mph...
Back