Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Is there a heavier duty replacement for the A4LD?

Tired of rebuilding this thing, anyone help? Please?
  2. B

replacement for A4LD tranny?

It looks like I am going to need another rebuild on this piece of **** A4LD. Is there a heavy duty version available, or better tranny that will fit it? 1992 4x4 thanks Rick
  3. B

Auto transmission bucking/jerking

No, I'm not sure. It's very hard to tell which it is. Check engine light has never come on either. I guess I need to take in it and have someone check it out.
  4. B

Thanks for all the input guys. The fuel regulator sounds logical. At first I thought the filter had fixed my rough running when starting cold. But it's come back. I guess I'll give that a shot before the tc. It was rebuilt the same time as the transmission. Rick
  5. B

Thanks for the help.
  6. B

torque converter? Any idea what that will cost me?
  7. B

My '92 auto tranny will jerk or buck when reapplying throttle at highway speeds at 1700 to 2k rpm. I thought at first the engine was missing, but now I'm thinking tranny. It also seems to "stutter" when first starting off from stop when cold. It's really hard to tell if it's the engine or not...
  8. B

Reassembling brake question

He's right, they only go in one way. I suggest removing the master cylinder cover before compressing a caliper. You can blow the seals sometimes if you don't .
  9. B

Clanking noise over bunps

If the radius arm bushings haven't been replaced, and you have 163k on them, you can count on that being a problem. The passenger side always goes first, because it is right next to the catalytic converter, and the heat kills the rubber bushing. Replace them with poly ones. (dead link)...
  10. B

How many have ATF coolers?

I have the towing package on my '92. Transmission started slipping at 36k, and I nursed it for 50k more till it finally died. Had it rebuilt about 40k ago (aamco). Now I am getting a jerk (thought engine was missing) when reapplying throttle at 2k or less rpm, at highway speeds. Starting to...
  11. B

Explorer shakes at 60mph

The shake is a very common problem with early Explorer's . I did everything mentioned here, but finally cured it, (at least 90% ) with new tires. I had Firestone, then Goodyear, and two years ago I put on Michelins, and was shocked when I drove out and the shake was gone! Tires, tires, tires...
Back