Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Changing trans fluid on a 2006 XLT, not recommended?

Well, it finally bit the dust. "D" started acting like "N", followed by "R", then "3". Managed to limp to the mechanic in second. When I got it back, sometimes Reverse wouldn't work, and it would shift real rough into third and fourth, also "Wrench" light was on. Took it back, and now it is...
  2. M

The service tech at the dealership (the largest in the U.S., Galpin) won't even do the fluid and filter change, says if there's any dirt or anything in the worn out gears, a fluid change will clean it out and it won't work the same. I kinda understand that, but I'm not a transmission expert, so...
  3. M

I have a 2006 XLT V6 4.0 L. with 100,600 miles, I've been to several local shops, including the local Ford dealer, and all are very hesitant to change the transmission fluid because of the mileage. I don't think it's ever been changed. What is their concern with changing the fluid at this time?
  4. M

Stock radio display was dim, now nothing

Mine is a bit different. I was able to pry up the trim surrounding the radio, didn't see any Torx screws. I did find 4 8mm bolts, 2 on each side of the radio, which I removed. The whole radio seemed to move, but it wouldn't fit past the trim. I was able to get the display working by pressing...
  5. M

Who has the least modded Gen 4?

Still completely stock at 90K. Will be getting a new radio shortly as the display is dead.
  6. M

Stock radio display was dim, now nothing

Greetings all Just upgraded to a 2006 XLT from a 1997 Sport 5spd, love the new ride, don't miss the 5 speed at all! It just turned 90K miles, got lucky with this one, one owner in 9 years took very good care of it. Had to replace a cracked ABS tone ring on the right rear brakes about a month...
  7. M

Unlocking all doors

Press the unlock button twice quickly, that should unlock all doors. Turning the key twice should also do the same.
  8. M

pcm replaced, shows as not ready at smog chk

Passed smog test this morning, tested extremely clean especially for a 17 year old truck. Everything is working good. I drove a total of 120 miles and several start-stop cycles. Thanx to all for advice.
  9. M

so just putting on mileage won't do it?
  10. M

After I installed the new PCM, I disconnected the negative battery cable for 15 seconds to cycle power, as directed by the mechanic.
  11. M

Just replaced the PCM on my 1997 Explorer Sport, old PCM gave false error codes for O2 sensors. No more Check Engine light, but when doing smog test after driving 30 miles on the newer PCM, tech says it won't show as ready. I was told that you have to drive some distance for the newer PCM to...
  12. M

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

1997 Sport 5 spd 2WD 172,000. Had heads replaced after PLASTIC radiator broke while on freeway. 5 spd manual trans rebuilt at about 100,000. Replaced PCM twice. Mechanically, it's fairly well built. Electrical, not so much.
  13. M

v8 5.0 engine explorer on 240sx

Looks like fun! I had a 1990 240SX and it was squirrely enough with the 2.4L 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual.
  14. M

Headlight/Ign Key Alarm bell problem

I have a 1997 Explorer Sport with 172K on a 4.0 OHV and 5 speed. A few weeks ago, I had an intermittent issue with the alarm bell going off when opening the driver's door, but the headlights were off and the key was not in the ignition. It would happen about half the time, but now it always...
  15. M

97 Explorer Key Fob programing - FYI

do all Explorers have this capability? The remote door unlock would be handy. I never got any key fobs when I bought the truck, so if I got a key fob would it work at all? TIA
  16. M

need help, error code P0155, smog test coming up

needed to replace PCM turns out it was the PCM itself and one more 02 sensor, but I qualified for $500 in financial assistance from CA Bureau of Auto Repair since my Explorer is 13 years old, so it cost me $195 total. And I have an extra PCM that works perfectly except the fake error...
  17. M

can only a Ford dealer flash a PCM?

my mistake, only 3 O2 sensors. PCM was flashed, but it turns out the wiring loom was chafing, so my mechanic owes me some time under that hood again. The dealer wants $400 to fix, my mechanic will probably charge only $250. What a PITA all this computer and sensor nonsense causes, but I probably...
  18. M

PCM was flashed, still has problems, dealer said $400 more to fix nice of Ford to keep it's dealer mechanics in business with these sort of games, with the computer giving false error codes, so the mechanics can empty your wallet.
  19. M

Can only a Ford dealer flash a PCM? Getting the same error code, P0155, even after the indicated sensor has been changed (bank 2 sensor 1), checked wiring harnesses and even swapped with other HO2S sensors. error code is also intermittent, one day it's OK, next day, error code. Only thing...
  20. M

need help, error code P0155, smog test coming up

'97 Sport 4.0 OHV 5/spd 151K mi, got error code P0155 "02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)", mechanic has replaced sensor, checked wiring harness and even switched with other 4 sensors (2 on left side, 2 on right), error code comes and goes, sometimes indicates short...
  21. M

Whats faster: Manual or auto

manual of course, (I love my 5 speed!) an auto trans takes 10 to 15% of the engines power just to run it. I've also driven both types of Explorers. The first gear ratio on an auto trans is usually the same as second on a manual trans, so the auto seems like it starts out in "second gear"...
  22. M

Return from Truckhaven OCT 2009

looks like it was lots of fun. I only found this site last week so too short of a notice. Would it have been worth it to bring mine? It's only a 2WD and it has stock size wheels, it will go anywhere as long as it's not too steep.
  23. M

1997 Sport w/5 spd

Greets all. I've had my Explorer Sport since 2000, the 5 speed makes it plenty fast, and I've never seen another one. It does well off road for only being a 2WD and it gets loaded to the gills for Yosemite trips twice a year! I'd like to get a 5.0 for it one day, but it looks like quite a...
Back