Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Window regulator replacement

Thanks for this guide. I was able to knock this out today in about 2 hours -- it took me a little longer than I expected to drill out the rivets. Thanks again!
  2. D

Coolant leak on 2002 Explorer XLT V6 4.0L SOHC

hi there Kaizo, i haven't had any related issues after doing the repair and haven't seen the problem you're having. I would change the sensor if you haven't already and make sure you get a new o-ring...that might help you out. it's been a while since I did the repair so i'm a little fuzzy...
  3. D

Good to know that this thread has helped. I can't help but wonder how much it would have cost at the dealer to get this done.
  4. D

Interesting. When I started up the Explorer after work today the "Service Engine Soon" light turned itself off. Cool.
  5. D

Hi nickorsi, I recommend changing the lower thermostat housing only. The top, at least on mine, appeared to be in excellent shape. It might be optimal to change the coolant temperature sensor at the same time. I tried to reuse the old one and that didn't work too well for me (I must have...
  6. D

Too right clarks2001! I think Ford used all these plastic parts just so they would crap out when you hit 100K. "Planned Obsolescence" as they call it. Here's another tip. Be careful with the radiator drain petcock. I snapped the end off of mine. Luckily the inside was hex shaped.
  7. D

Here's the parts list and prices for the thermostat housing repair. All these parts were picked up at my local automotive distributor "Aloha Automotive Distributing" on 98-790 Moanalua Rd Aiea HI 96701, phone (808) 488-6868. They had some good discounts; saved about $40.00 off list for the...
  8. D

Here's a shot of the lower housing; you can sort of tell where the failure is/was by the amount of crap:
  9. D

This is what the top of the manifold looked like when I removed the lower housing:
  10. D

This is a close up of the sludge:
  11. D

Here's a pic of the housing.
  12. D

Hi clarks2001, I did a double-take when I saw your picture...my old housing looked exactly like that. I had a pinhole on the back side (towards the firewall) and that was the source of the leak. The removal and install went pretty smoothly. Take a look at that link I posted earlier; he...
  13. D

Hi specialized7, It took me a while to figure out that the lower thermostat housing was the problem. I'll post some pictures later on. The old housing was pretty messed up. Take a look around the thermostat housing and intake. That area should be relatively clean. Mine was covered with...
  14. D

Whew! Alright. It appears that everything is running good now. The idle has settled down and it doesn't stall when I'm stopped. Of course, it could be because everything's warmed up. I'm going to drive the Explorer to work (about 12 miles one way) and will check everything out.
  15. D

Thanks FordLover, Basically I did the following to replace the lower thermostat housing: 1) drained radiator 2) removed fan shroud 3) removed upper radiator hose 4) removed upper thermostat housing and thermostat & o-ring 5) unplugged the harness going to the coil to make room to...
  16. D

Uh oh! I replaced out the lower thermostat housing; the old one definitely appears to be the problem...it was totally corroded and it looked like there was a pinhole near the back bolt area. However, I couldn't find a replacement coolant temperature sensor and tried using the old one. When...
  17. D

thanks 2003vstrom. I was surfing around and found this http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat and noted many similarities to my situation with respect to the lower thermostat housing and the coolant splatter. The lower thermostat housing on my wife's Explorer looks pretty beat with...
  18. D

Hi there, new to the forum but have been lurking a bit. My wife has a 2002 Explorer XLT V6 4.0L SOHC with about 100K miles. There is a coolant leak that I cannot find the source of. I have changed out the thermostat, water pump (and gasket), and the upper and lower radiator hoses. It still...
Back