Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

2001 Explorer stalls has lean codes

Well, you guys nailed it I believe. I mentioned in my last post that I had put $30 worth of gas in it. Since that time I did not have it stall or stumble. Went ahead and hooked up the scanner on Friday night and checked everything it would check. Drove around while watching different values for...
  2. C

That's something I never thought of. I have seen that happen on Bobcat skid steer loaders. The pick up tubes would split or break and once the fuel level got to below a certain level it would act like it ran out of fuel. Thanks for the suggestion david4451, I'll definitely check that, sucks...
  3. C

Thanks for the quick replies! Originally I had both 0171 and 0174 codes. I deleted them after working on it a few days ago. After 3 days of driving, only the P0174 code came back. Also sometimes when it stalls it's not after coming down a hill. Although now that I think about it, the problem...
  4. C

Hello, Having issues with my '01 Explorer 4WD, 4.0 V6 automatic. It started stalling a week ago, got off the interstate and made a right turn when it just quit with no warning. I put it in neutral and it started right back up. Drove another couple miles to work, came down a long, gradual hill to...
  5. C

1998 explorer died, won't start

Well, pulling the valve cover did expose more bad stuff, The rocker arm for the intake valve was laying beside the spring! Apparently the prevoius owner was not too crazy about maintenance, I've never seen such a filthy engine. It looks as though the roller wasn't being lubed properly causing it...
  6. C

Now I'm really confused. I removed the lower intake manifold, and upon further inspection found that the rear most intake port on the left or drivers side is sitting plum full of gas?? Talked with a couple guys I work with and they believe I have either an injector issue or valve problem...
  7. C

Well, no luck, I checked the fuel pressure regulator, removed the vacuum line and cycled the key numerous times and had no gas come out. i traced the vacuum line from the FPR to the manifold, it goes to the right or passenger side which feeds the left side of the engine which is dry. Is it...
  8. C

I do have a hand held vacuum pump, I will try these tests you mention this evening. Thanks
  9. C

After running out of things to check, I decided to pull the upper intake manifold where I found that the ports going to the right side of the engine are soaking wet with gas and the left side is dry as a bone. I'm starting to think perhaps I've got a timing problem? I have had a lot of chain...
  10. C

Well, I got my alternator situation staightened out, I had a spare at home which I had checked out and then put on the Explorer. Re-checked charging system and it is now working as it should. So now I'm back to the original problem. Checked for DTC's and had only one- P0171 which my book says is...
  11. C

Solved Fuse Panel Diagram

Does anyone know what the relays are for that are located on the passengers side of the engine compartment? Its a small box located just below and slightly to the rear of the air filter box on my 1998 Explorer 4wd
  12. C

No luck yet, have been running behind schedule. I am stopping at O'rielly's in the morning to purchase a code reader and some MAF sensor cleaner. I was able to do some more checking last night and tonight- found that I need an alternator- mine is putting out 29volts at idle!!!! Perhaps this...
  13. C

Well the fuel presure checked out OK, I have about 37 psi at idle. My haynes manual says it should be 30 to 45 psi. I'm going to go buy a code reader when I get off work tonight.
  14. C

Thanks, I appreciate any and all information or tips I can get.
  15. C

When checking the gray/ red wire at the various sensors, I backprobed the gray/ red wire and attached the other probe to ground (negative battery post). I should not have listed the TPS as being @ 28mv, It was the Intake air sensor that I checked- my mistake. The buzzing sound turned out to be...
  16. C

Ok, I checked voltage between CMP and TPS gray/red wire, it was 0 volts, Checked resistence between same and it was below 1 ohm. Re-checked voltage @ CMP and it was around 28mv, also had 28mv @ TPS, DPFE etc. Traced wire (gray/ red) back to the PCM and backprobed it there and it too was @ 28mv...
  17. C

I'll try that in the morning. Where could I get a good copy of a wiring diagram? My haynes manual doesn't have a specific diagram for the 98 4.0 SOHC.
  18. C

The CMP 2mV was checked on DC with the sensor unplugged, across the 2 wires. I also checked funtionality of the CMP using AC as the manual suggests. The TPS checked out OK, and engine still will not start...
  19. C

The CKP sensor I bought at auto zone has no wear tabs on it, its just a flat surface as apposed to the old one which had a slight curved edge. I also re-checked power at the CMP connector wires and had only 2mV with the key on. I have not yet tested the TPS, had to quit on it for the night...
  20. C

I checked the connection to the CMP sensor and it was OK, removed the sensor from valve cover and the tip was covered with engine sludge. Cleaned off and re-installed sensor then I decided to check for voltage @ connector as described in my manual (Haynes manual says there should be 1.5 volts)...
  21. C

Not sure what the code number was, I'll have to check with the guy who scanned it.
  22. C

Forgot to mention its a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 SOHC 4wd 4dr with around 112,000 miles. And I was able to scan for codes which turned up a "input speed sensor malfuntion" message.
  23. C

Hello, I am new to the forum so I hope I'm posting this properly. Anyhow, I've got a dead 1998 explorer which I desperately need to get up and running. Heres the problem. Started having low power problems the truck would lose speed while driving up decent sized hills, started stalling at stop...
Back