Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Air Conditioning blowing through defrost vents

The check valve is in one of the two vacuum lines right at the firewall. I pulled it loose and it was working so well that it actually hissed as it released the pressure. Bummer, as this really seemed to match my issue. I'll have to check further upstream.
  2. J

Sounds spot on. Where is that located?
  3. J

I am going to dredge this back up. My automatic climate control works perfectly fine, as it should, until there is load on the engine (accelerating, climbing a hill, etc.) I can set the vents to blow, but once there is load they divert to the defrost. Once I am out of the throttle, the air...
  4. J

Dorman 615-175 Failing

No experiences with this?
  5. J

Dorman 615-175 Failing

I have a 2002 4.6L Mountaineer that I replaced the intake manifold on seven years ago. I used the Dorman 615-175 replacement, and am fairly certain it is failing. I have a moderate oil leak (a few drops whenever parked) and have found a bit of moisture in two of the spark plug wells. Has anyone...
  6. J

How to install an electric fan PICS

I have not been on here in forever. Apparently they no longer sticky threads; here is the write-up I did that used to be stickied: 3rd Gen Ford Explorer V8 Under-Drive Pulley and Electric Fan Installation
  7. J

Trans upgrades...

New revision solenoid block, fresh filter and fluid, and a valve-body shift kit do a lot of good. You can get a tune which can improve the feel of the transmission as well.
  8. J

Project Explobra

I love you...
  9. J

Remanufactured Transmission = $3,800 installed, fix or junk explorer?

Transmission Authority. I have no idea about the 4.0...I know the 3.9L and 4.6L V8s I have put them in needed the adapter plate. I bought an alignment tool (basically the 307-403) anticipating having to reuse my original plate, too; it has never been used. :(
  10. J

Yes, I have put in a few of them. They are awesome; they address all of the short-comings of the 5R55 transmissions and come complete, ready to bolt in. They have the torque converter, as well as the adapter plate already installed if you have the 4.6L. I have a lot of miles between the ones...
  11. J

Removing rusted bolts

Kroil...I have not find a penetrating oil that even comes close. Use that, and heat if you have to.
  12. J

You can get a quality remanufactured transmission from RockAuto for ~$1500. If that plus the cost of labor is not worth the expense for you, put it on Craigslist for $500 and it should sell off pretty fast.
  13. J

Likely cause of P0171 -Powertrain System too Lean (Bank 1)?

I think that is the code I had when one of my injector o-rings was leaking.
  14. J

Parting out 3 trucks

I need a gray flappy-do for my sunvisor mirror...the cover "door" that goes over it. If you can pop one off, how much shipped to 17268?
  15. J

I dont want to replace the rear hub/bearings.

It is a pain. I do everything myself, and even I farmed this one out to a local shop. They had to send the knuckles off to another shop to press the old bearings out...they were on the verge of breaking their press. My vehicle has minimal rust and corrosion, too. Shop around, it can probably be...
  16. J

2002 transmission question

The 2L should be a 5R55S and the 1L is at 5R55W. If you pulled the 1L, you need the 1L, and if you have 4WD that is most likely correct. I know the oil pans are different between the two; you can pull up pictures of the gaskets for each to compare. If you need to order a transmission, I highly...
  17. J

Exhaust upgrades

Magnaflow kit, absolutely.
  18. J

Remanufactured 5r55s/5r55w transmission - Any Sugestions

Get it from www.rockauto.com. They address all the weaknesses, include all the parts you need to just bolt it up, and have a three year warranty. Definitely the best deal out there.
  19. J

04 tranny problem. Looking for advice/guidance

I would definitely agree with drdoom; the servo bore fix is really good for what it is. Otherwise, I would strongly encourage getting a remanufactured unit from RockAuto. Everything that needs done has been done to it, and you just have to swap it in.
  20. J

2002 Rack and Pinion Removal

I did this last week and really did not have much of an issue. You should definitely get the cooler out of the way, and have replacement hose clamps for when you reinstall it. The steering shaft bolt is 13mm I think; it is a little tough to reach, but I know I did it just fine with a standard...
  21. J

Door ajar stays on Dash

It is most likely a broken wire in the driver door loom. You can probably find a few threads on it here.
  22. J

Bought an 02 that wont move?!?

$2k for a new transmission installed by a Ford Dealership with a warranty is a steal; go for it! Look around at threads here, most people end up paying almost twice that. A quality rebuilt unit is $1500 alone. Just check with the dealer to make sure they are replacing the torque converter and...
  23. J

2002 4.0L Rack and pinion replacement?

My new rack had at least some fluid in it, but the system took almost a full quart on top of that. I would pick up two quarts just to be safe, and remember that it takes Mercon V ATF, not regular power steering fluid. For my 2WD I did not have to remove the control arms. The tie-rod ends came...
  24. J

2002 4.0L Rack and pinion replacement?

I am getting ready to do this job. Does anyone know the total capacity for the power steering system? I need to pick up fluid and would like to have an educated guess as to how much to get.
  25. J

O2 Sensor Fix

If you are in a bind with a bad catalytic, I can see this as a temporary crutch to hobble through an inspection...but if it is the sensor, why not just send the few extra dollars to fix it properly?
Back