Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

JUstin

H. I had my chains done by Justin way back in 2010 and I've never managed to get hold of him since. Sorry that things have not been good recently. Hopefully you yourself are mended. GRoB.
  2. P

Got around to new exhaust and fix demister

Cheers Jan. I'll give it a go too.
  3. P

No wipers, interior lights or 4x4 switch

No idea Zach. Sorry.
  4. P

MOT time again

Good news Jan. Mine passed in March without issue as well. They jokingly told me it needed loads of work but then advised me it had passed. How funny they are!!! I suppose it's telling that I was far more willing to believe the fail notice though. It was nice to have a pass after last year's MOT...
  5. P

Got around to new exhaust and fix demister

Hi Jan. Did the conductive adhesive work on the heated rear window contacts? What did you use and where from? I have the same problem. Thanks. GRoB
  6. P

pulling to the left when braking

Hi onetime. Is it a gentle pull or does it veer off badly to the left? I assume that you've checked the wheel alignment?
  7. P

Hi Zach.I was OK as I had the existing part number available and just typed that into eBay. I don't have access to this info at the moment but looking at eBay, there are a variety of GEMs for your age truck available. See the link below to one listed for 4WD. I think that the unit is fairly...
  8. P

newby looking for an explorer

Hi Hotrodguy. Timing chains have bitten most of us, one way or another. Listen for a metallic tinkling sound, especially at cold start and idle. See if they've got receipts for replacement of the chains. They're also prone to myriad electrical problems so just check all gadgets and electrical...
  9. P

Hi Zach. I looked into all ways of getting this sorted once I'd settled on it being the GEM that was at fault. I'm not sure if me removing the radio unit had caused the fault but it asn't just a loose connector. Others have mentioned temperature effects - especially when cold and that could also...
  10. P

Rear Diff oil spec?

No problem Kev.
  11. P

radio unit - compatibility 7000 to 6000/5000

Sorry, I meant to say that most of the units have "CD Autochanger Compatible" written on the fascia. GRoB.
  12. P

radio unit - compatibility 7000 to 6000/5000

The 5000, 6000 & standard 7000 as well as "round cornered" 6006 units should fit and the 5000, 6000 and std 7000 still have the CD Changer connection. As stated by others, you'll lose the rear controls but that stops the kids changing the track or station, so it's no bad thing!!
  13. P

Rear Diff oil spec?

Hi Kev. I bought Lucas Oils 75/140 Synthetic Gear oil via eBay from Dukeries Oil in Worksop, Notts. The threads on here said that this oil didn't need a friction modifier so I went with that advice. I got it to make sure I had some if required but on checking the diff found it wasn't needed as...
  14. P

No Surprise - MOT Fail

Hi sparkola. The new ABS unit just worked. The ABS light comes on after a few miles these days but I think that's down to a front sensor/ worn hub and switching the ignition off and on again clears it, so I'm not too bothered, but i need to get a diagnostic check done to confirm. Otherwise, OK...
  15. P

LPG conversion insurance - please read.

I have changed insurer and they asked if the Ex was on the LPG Register. It was not. However, I remembered that the previous owner had a private plate and when this was entered, it is listed on the register. Insurance company happy. This might be worth chcecking if anyone's vehicle does not...
  16. P

Rough Steering Feel Gone

I recently changed my serpentine drive belt and the difference it's made is significant. Aside from it not squealing at a volume that Just William's friend Victoria could only dream of, the steering rough spots when turning from lock to lock are gone. I had thought that I would be doing some...
  17. P

LPG conversion insurance - please read.

Thanks for this info Peddler. Although I don't make use of it - because it makes a funny noise and runs oddly on LPG - my North Face has an LPG conversion. It's an AFC system and my insurer's underwriter accepted it without certification paperwork (as I was never supplied any with the car) but...
  18. P

Enjoyed our time in the UK!

Glad you enjoyed it. Next time, get a decent hire car and ditch the busy cities. Head straight to the New Forest, Cornwall, Peak District, Pembrokeshire, North Wales, North Lake District, Yorkshire, Northumberland and the Scottish Highlands and Islands. Then, on your second day, you can have...
  19. P

Explorer manual

Welcome flatmajor1. There is a Haynes manual which generally OK and covers most areas but it doesn't cater for the RHD-specific items. GRoB.
  20. P

Serpentine Belt Tensioner

...belt "lengthening" nicely...engine et al running smoother than it used to.
  21. P

Fitted new tensioner (thanks Chris) and new belt (Contitech 6PK2175). As expected, the new belt was very slightly shorter and nowhere near as flexible as the old one and, as a result, was not easy to fit. It is a bit tight and runs pretty close to the tensioner body (without touching it though)...
  22. P

Chris. New tensioner arrived...Thanks. It shows how knackered the spring in the old one was! Also ordered the serpentine belt from Euro Car Parts of all places for £26 (half what Ford wanted). It's made by Continental and should be the right length (supposedly 2175mm/85.6") but I'll see when it...
  23. P

Cheers Chris.
  24. P

Thanks Chris. I'll Paypal the money to you now. I've only just been able to access the Forum...it's been off all day. Have others had the same problem? GRoB.
  25. P

Tyre sizes

Just noticed that mine are 235's!! I always thought it looked undertyred. It doesn't drive badly though but explains why the speedo is so optimistic!!! Unfortunately, they're wearing well and, although I should, I can't bring myself to change a healthy set of tyres. GRoB.
Back