Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

AC Questions

I have a 99 OHV explorer. Last summer I recharged the AC with r134a that had a rubber reconditioner that is supposed to stop leaks and a leak detector and the leak detector pointed to the compressor. The leak is coming from between the 2 halves. Ac stopped working again within a month...
  2. F

Alternator Recommendations

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going to the junkyard and buying a used alternator for $45. I'm taking my first chance on a junkyard alternator so I hope it turns out well!
  3. F

Alternator Recommendations

Yesterday my alternator died on my 1999 Explorer w/4.0 OHV. I was wondering how everyone went about replacing their alternator. I looked on the retail store sites and they have about the same price ($140) for brands that I never heard of. Then I looked on places like ebay and they have...
  4. F

MAF / K&N Filter Question

Old thread I know but I had a similar problem in a different vehicle and it turned out to be a clogged exhuast due to the cad. converter. Couldn't figure that one out for the longest time. Everything seemed to be running well but I had no power in acceleration and slowly my top end...
  5. F

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Most of my write up went into the upper ball joint thread but I'll share when I learned about the lowers here. I've worked on plenty of cars but I have never done ball joints and I work with no power tools. Get the Ball Joint Press! It worked really slick. When I was pressing them out...
  6. F

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

And I ordered all of my parts from Amazon. I put Dormans in the uppers and Moogs in the lowers. With 144,000 miles on it, I figured the dormans will probably outlast the vehicle. Some people only put moogs in but I heard some good things about Dormans and my bet saved me $88 total for the 2...
  7. F

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

Wow! I can't thank MountaineerGreen enough. I did both my upper and lower ball joints and a tie rod end over the weekend and this write up helped more than any Chilton book or service manual ever could. I have a 99 4-door XLT. I figured I would share my experience since i read alot but...
Back