Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Front Differential cover gasket leak

I had the diff gasket changed this summer after it leaking for years. The mechanic informed me that it wasn't actually the gasket but the axle seals that were pouring. As long as you keep it topped off you should be fine to drive it.
  2. K

Help please with timing chain

I looked it up in a parts program I have access to. Cloyes gives a 94172S for the first gen Explorers. The main difference that I see is that the 94172sa has a keyed gear while the 94172s does not. Below are links to the Cloyes website. The first one is the first gen one, the second is the...
  3. K

Please help coil spring spacer problem

I bought a cheap set of spacers from auto zone a couple years ago. In order to install them I had to take the tire off and disconnect the front sway bar link. I jacked up the frame of the truck and that allowed the axle to drop enough to slide them in.
  4. K

Sunroof Mechanism

The sunroof mechanism in my sport is broken, it will not raise the glass up. It will lock it down but seems stripped when attempting to raise it. Does anyone know where I could find one? Or how to build a replacement one?
  5. K

Post yer 94 pictures

Can I join in?
  6. K

Aftermarket Fogs Help

I can't help you with lights in the location you wanted but I can show you my old and new setup for lights in the bottom of the grille. Just to give you an idea of what they would look like. This is the old setup with two driving lights in the lower corners of the grille. I had to trim the...
  7. K

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Bought a rear bumper from a recently found junkyard near my college. Ford didn't design these things to haul stuff that should be on the outside of the vehicle.
  8. K

Got it out to do a little exploring.
  9. K

Clunk when starting

The teeth on the starter appeared to be fine.
  10. K

Clunk when starting

My 94 explorer has a clunk coming from the torque converter flexplate area. The torque converter bolts are tight and the trans is tight. The transmission shifts into gear fine and the clunk is only present when starting or at really low idle. I started it today and it shifted into reverse fine...
  11. K

Dropped the wheels off for sandblasting, going to drop them off for powder coating later.
  12. K

Got it stuck in 2wd because I was too lazy to lock in the hubs.
  13. K

Roar from right side.

The spindle bearings are on the way. Odd that the local parts store didn't have a part for my vehicle (They remember the exact make and model of my truck). In the meantime I had a race spinning inside the rotor and the race and rotor have been changed also. That was the source of some of my...
  14. K

Roar from right side.

Electric Transfer Case. I switched hubs side to side and the roar stayed in the same spot. I was not able to remove the drive shaft today. When looking closer at where the axle shafts enter the spindle the rubber seal on the right side is torn into two pieces and riding on the axle shaft. Could...
  15. K

Roar from right side.

I did this test with the wheels on the ground. I locked in each side separately and each completely locked the axle shafts up. I will be switching hubs tomorrow and depending on the result, pulling the front drive shaft to see if that changes anything. With the truck in 4x2 and hubs locked it...
  16. K

Roar from right side.

When driving my explorer at 55 mph+ I get a loud roar from the right front. I have replaced and repacked bearings on both sides and now I believe it to be in the 4wd system. I can get under the vehicle with the hubs unlocked and only rotate the axle shafts half a rotation in either way before...
  17. K

Overwhelmed with wheel options, need help!

If you are wanting to stick with just about the same backspacing and offset from factory these are the way to go. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-84-5712pl/overview/
  18. K

Bad Temperature Sending Unit?

My 94 explorer's temperature gauge has been erratically changing position. It will go form the N to the R bounce a couple times before dropping near the C then rapidly rise back to the N. When the truck is at operating temperature and the Key is on but the engine is turned off the gauge will...
  19. K

Coolant pouring out.

Thanks again for y'alls help. I really appreciate it. It was a great learning experience and also kinda fun.
  20. K

Coolant pouring out.

Update on the Explorer. The lower intake manifold gasket was cracked. It has been changed and as of right now the truck is happy again.
  21. K

Coolant pouring out.

I guess I forgot to mention. The main leak is gone. But I've developed a new one. Its only when running that's the main reason it is sitting on my college campus still. We couldn't really pinpoint where it was coming from. It ran for about ten minutes and had developed a sizable puddle under it...
  22. K

Coolant pouring out.

The replacement was put in exactly the way the old one came out. It had a weep hole but the weep wasnt fully open it looked like this one. With the little cover over the weep hole. This isn't the one I installed though. I don't think that the weep hole is in the 12 o clock position though.
  23. K

Brakes worked fine for months then suddenly spongy. Only fronts work? No leaks. Help!

I know this is going to sound crazy, but check the self adjusters for your rear brakes. I had one fall out of place when driving. Was a loud pop then straight to the floor. Had master cylinder replaced and bleed brakes multiple times. Still no help. Then took to a mechanic and he found that the...
  24. K

Coolant pouring out.

I don't believe it has gotten hot enough to actually do any damage. The highest temperature I have seen it is just past the L and it went down after a just few seconds. I am really considering a gauge with some numbers. Lol. The cap is one of the ones with the levers on them if that makes any...
  25. K

Coolant pouring out.

Just a mild update. It sat all weekend and no more coolant has leaked out. The system was still pressurized too. Replaced cap Friday per suggestion. First time i can ever remember opening it after a few days and the system still having pressure. I took a picture of where I believe my leak is. If...
Back