Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

O/D Light Flashing

I had the same problem. King Transmission in Elmhurst, IL did the free diagnosis. Told me I needed a total rebuild for $1800.. I had a friend (Heavy Machinery mechanic) do the job for $150. Just needed some tightening done to one of the (bands)? inside the tranny... Been in good shape ever...
  2. F

Need Tire Suggestions

Yes. Still Stock height. Any idea how much height those would add to my ground clearance?
  3. F

Need Tire Suggestions

I have a 2001 Sport Trac 4x4 (with 96k). This is my daily driver (10 mi each way to work.) I also use this vehicle for annual road trips. Other uses: Snow Plowing (1 lot, 2 hrs of work, each time it snows here, -Chicago-.) Off-Roading : Light to moderate trails maybe 10 times a year. I...
  4. F

Snow plow for 2001 Ford Explorer 2dr sport

I would go with a Snoway. St or 22 Series... They have optional "Down Pressure" which is a must-have for lightweight plows.. You can find a good deal on a used one on Craigslist or Ebay.. Here's an image of my setup:
  5. F

Timbrens / Load Boosters for Sport Trac

Is the 1st Gen Sport Trac front suspension different from the early 2000's Ranger suspensions? The plow I bought came off a 2000 Ranger. I have seen a few different Snow plow mfgs recommending light weight models for the Rangers and Sport Tracs... I was very hesitant to mount a plow...
  6. F

Plowing with an Explorer

Check out 'Plowsite'... Quite a few guys plowing with Rangers and some Explorers... Some even plow commercially with them... I am mounting a Sno-way on my 2001 Sport Trac this weekend and previously plowed commercially for years with a 1991 explorer... If you keep your wits about you and...
  7. F

snow plow

Check with the manufacturer of the plow... Their website should have all the info you need if you look hard enough.. I just bought a sno-way plow off a guy who had it on a 2000 Ranger... It will mount directly to my 2001 Sport Trac. The Sno-Way website showed it was compatible with the early...
  8. F

Snow plowing?

I plowed for years with a 1991 2 door explorer V6 4X4... It was a great plow.. I had a fisher 6.5' Minute Mount II on it. Total weight was around 450 Lbs.. I would go with the older generation explorer as they have been lightened over the years.. Older = tougher.... Just my 2 cents.
  9. F

tonneau cover cylinder locks

Doubt anyone else would have replacements for the stock cover... I had to get them from the dealer and the price wasn't terrible..
  10. F

Timbrens / Load Boosters for Sport Trac

Anyone ever used Timbrens on the front suspension of a 1st Gen Sport Trac? I have a small sno-way plow (300LBS total) I will be installing and will be considering beefing up the front end if it starts taking a toll.....
  11. F

Sport Trac Trans. tough enough for plow?

For the past 5 years, I was plowing with a 1991 Explorer 2 door with Fisher 6'6" MM2... It was great. That beast finally died 350K miles in! (Tranny quit & opened up on the roadway and spilled the most rank fluids I ever smelled... but thats another story....) I have researched the plow I...
  12. F

Can I assume that as long as I keep the trans. temp. within a safe range;(and of course that I am not beating on it while plowing) that the Trans will hold up to the work? Is there anything else I need to be cognisant of? Thanks for the great advice.
  13. F

I was thinking about installing the Trans temp gauge.... Could you suggest a decent brand? Any tips for installing one? Also, what is the acceptable range of operating temperature? How high should it go before I let it cool off? Thanks.
  14. F

(Posted this in the Transmissions Forum, then saw Sport Trac Forum....) I am planning to put a lightweight Sno-Way plow on my 2001 Sport Trac to do one parking lot this winter... After extensive research I have convinced myself the Sport Trac can handle this job.... My only remaining hang up...
Back