Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

I also removed the entire knuckle when I did my upper and lower ball joints. U have a lot more room to work.
  2. B

Rack and pinion symptoms

Make sure that shudder isn't the power steering. Whenever I work on my truck and turn the wheels while the truck is off I get a really bad shudder. You need to turn the truck on and move the wheel all the way to the left and right several times while in park to work this out.
  3. B

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

This is the thread I used for my lower ball joints. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188225 I'm not sure if this thread applies to your 07. I wouldn't think things would be much different.
  4. B

Low rumble sound while driving

There is a very low rumble sound while driving accompanied by what feels like a slight vibration. It's more apparent at high speeds. the vibration is very subtle though. All four wheel bearings have been replaced within the last year. I just replaced the front upper and lower ball joints on both...
  5. B

NICE! I know when I removed mine they didn't come out at a steady pace. They kind of jumped and popped till they came out. So I can see how that would happen.
  6. B

Wow, that's unfortunate! Mine came out with ease using the ball joint press kit and an impact wrench.
  7. B

04 cranks but won't start

My 04 twice now has not started when it's very damp, raining all day. Similar to what you are experiencing. It cranks fine but won't start. I can hear the fuel pump engage and I smell gas when this happens, almost like it's flooding. Both times this happened it did start the next day. The second...
  8. B

Got all four changed out yesterday. Took us around 6 hours or so. By far the most difficult part was getting the steering knuckle to release from the bottom ball joint. It took a lot of brute force with a 3lb sledge! Getting the ball joints in and out with the press was a piece of cake. We...
  9. B

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

LOL, I've been dealing with this for a couple of years now! I just turn the interior lights off every time before turning the ignition off. I think I'm gonna tackle this soon though. I'm getting tired of it. I'll wait for the weather to warm a bit though.
  10. B

So I picked up the parts from Autozone today. They were supposed to have the ball joint press kit set aside from me. At least the guy I talked to yesterday said they had one and he'd reserve it. Well, it turns out they don't have one, they didn't even show any in stock in the greater Milwaukee...
  11. B

Reloaded the thread again and the pictures are back! I copied the how how too into a word doc with the pics so I'm good to go. I'm thinking I will hit everything good with liquid wrench tomorrow night so it has a change to penetrate everything before I work on it Saturday. Thanks for the tip...
  12. B

Thanks, I'll let you know. I only replaced the front drivers side hub, after that I took it in. I just wasn't in the mood to deal with it at the time. I've stuck so much money into this lately though I need to save a little now. That's why I'm doing the ball joints. Plus, they don't seem nearly...
  13. B

I'm on my computer at work, tried clearing cache and cookies but no go. Weird I can still see em on my phone? Oh well. I'll probably be able to see them from my PC at home. Thanks again for the write up! I just had all of my wheel bearings replaced all the way around. The front drivers side...
  14. B

I'm planning on doing both the upper and lower ball joints this weekend. Yesterday the pictures were there but today they aren't? Any Idea's? I new I should have copied them into a word doc! I've read that some of you have been able to remove the upper without removing the control arm. I did...
  15. B

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Great thread, Thanks! I have a 2004 explorer. I read in a thread in the 2002 - 2005 forum that these instructions apply to the 2004 as well. Is this true? I plan on tackling this this weekend. I have to do both upper and lower ball joints on both sides. I've already reserved the ball joint press...
  16. B

Replaced Front Wheel Hub Assembly, now it vibrates around corners?!?

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say thanks for the advice! I just changed my front left hub assembly two days ago. Took us 3 hours to do it, what a pain! I got new tires a month ago and they showed me that I had a bad wheel bearing and quoted me 300.00 to fix. Recently my ABS...
Back