Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Brooklyn, what the hell has gotten into the folks running this forum? Do they really think they...

Brooklyn, what the hell has gotten into the folks running this forum? Do they really think they can force people to buy their paid membership by hounding them with pop-ups that block the reading of messages. Well, f**k 'em. I'm out of here. Thanks for your help in the past but I'm not a fan...
  2. R

Solved My hood is jammed!

I can't believe I'm now getting a "register or else" pop-up just by clicking the link in the email alerts. This really sucks. I won't be back. Donald Ford
  3. R

Where can I buy a power door lock switch?

Found a set on eBay: NEW 1986-1997 Ford Aerostar Electric Power Window Master Control Switch (Pn: E69Z14529B) http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1986-1997-Ford-Aerostar-Electric-Power-Window-Master-Control-Switch-/390497443854 Darn - those are the power window switches - I'll keep looking... Try...
  4. R

1996 versus 1997 cruise control.

Try looking at this wiring diagram to figure out which wires you need to tap into. This diagram is from a 1996 Ford Explorer and may not be exactly the same as your Aerostar but it shows the on & off switches are in the steering wheel and only two wires go to the switches. The signal to...
  5. R

Momentarily pressing the button turns it on. It stays on till you turn off the engine. The next time you start the engine, you'll need to press the button again. That's how it should be working now - or was before the switch broke. Don't use a toggle switch that would stay "on" all the time...
  6. R

It's just a momentary contact. Wouldn't a horn button do? You could mount it on the dash.
  7. R

How do you remove the door lock cylinder?

BrooklynBay, I've had many bad outcomes from using WD-40. NEVER recommend it for lock cylinders! It leaves a sticky residue of beeswax after the solvent dries and that will prevent the lock pins from sliding up and down when the key is inserted. WD-40 is best suited for spraying your garden...
  8. R

A/C in a non A/C equipped Aerostar van.

If there was an easier, cheaper or more economical way to air condition a vehicle, it would be in use already. I've been repairing residential a/c units for over 45 years. The capacity of the typical auto a/c is 3 tons or better. There is no way you're going to use a window unit running from...
  9. R

Aerostar with crushed rocker panels from incorrectly putting it on a lift.

I keep a printed copy of the lift points in the glove box with the lift points highlighted. I tape it on the steering wheel when I leave it for service. I've also painted the pads on the frame with high visibility paint. Dumb ***** don't pay any attention - you can't fix stupid.
  10. R

1997 Aerostar RIP

I'm still seeing a few Aerostars below $2000 around St Louis. Some better than others but you can't beat the value of a versatile vehicle like the Aerostar for that kind of money.
  11. R

Post your WTB Aerostar parts here.

89 Ford Aerostar. 98k miles. XLT. Priced Right - $1760 (East Alton) Dealer just listed. VERY CLEAN interior. Has the electronic dash (I don't have room for any more Aerostars but I still look at Craig's list as often as possible.)
  12. R

1990 Aerostar with a broken windshield.

You can get the tools from Harbor Freight Tools but you really need to know what you're doing because the windshield is an integral part of the structure. The windshield is held in place with urethane so that it stays in place during an accident. Just any caulking won't do at all. You can...
  13. R

Solved My 1996 3.0L Aerostar drives like it's running out of gas.

BrooklynBay you nailed it right on the head! I bought a can of the CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner, gave it several good shots and blew it off with a little air to dry up the cleaner before reassembly. It started a little rough and threw a code P0171 "Lean Bank 1" before settling down. I let it run...
  14. R

I think I'll start with the mass air flow sensor and the coolant temperature sensor. There may be a vacuum leak - after starts, it idles at a pretty high RPM for awhile before settling down. I've already replace the tubing to the charcoal canister under the air filter box. I'm busier than I...
  15. R

I can't remember the code and I've erased it now. It was something about running too lean which is exactly the way it acts - like it's not getting enough gas. As I drove up and down the street today with a pressure gauge tapped into the fuel rail, I noticed every time I pushed down on the gas...
  16. R

My '96 Aerostar 3.0L is acting like it's running out of gas - threw a code claiming it was running "Lean." But I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and it shows 30 psi at idle and when I press on the gas pedal, it goes up closer to 40 psi. It's so bad, I had trouble getting it back...
  17. R

Front grille and lights.

Ouch! Amazon is showing a price for the LED02X1 of $190 each! :eek: They must sure be some fine headlights for that price (and I thought the Sylvania SilverStar H6054 bulbs were a little expensive at a tenth the price).
  18. R

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

The "E" series vans are still being produced basically unchanged over the years. It's a dirty shame Ford didn't continue the Aerostar along with the E series. I understand GM no longer produces the Astro vans series anymore either. Two huge mistakes the way I see it. I believe there's still...
  19. R

The dome light stays on in my 1995 Aerostar.

And leaves a waxy build-up. That waxy build-up will cause delicate parts to stick. I sprayed that crap over the electrical contractor on several rooftop air conditioners when I checked the furnaces for the winter. The next spring, none of the contractors would pull in and that caused the...
  20. R

Rats! :mad: I took the three screws out but couldn't get the latch out very far. I squirted some silicone all around (I've had major problems with WD-40 gumming up things causing them to fail so I don't own any of it anymore and don't recommend it for anything but keeping shovel blades from...
  21. R

So it's attached to the latch? When I get it out, I'll post some pictures.
  22. R

I just went out and looked at my '96 - I've got the inside panel off it. I see the linkage to the door latch and a sheath protected wire going through a 1" hole next to it. But I can't see the switch. How do you get at it? Will I need to cut another hole with a hole saw to get at it?
  23. R

My '97 Aerostar with the swing up door has the dome lights coming on for no good reason. All winter, the "Door Ajar" lamp would flicker - I just blamed it on the cold weather. I don't remember seeing the door ajar lamp on now - just the dome lights coming on after closing all the doors - even...
  24. R

1986 Aerostar with 78K miles. I have a manual transmission issue.

Those are VERY NICE looking Aerostar pictures? It's sure had some good care. Well worth saving!
  25. R

Guidance is requested on purchasing an Aerostar for the first time.

The market for Aerostar buyers is rapidly diminishing as the vehicles get older. I've loaded up on three of them right now. As you can see from my signature, I've had a couple others (all the short style with the 3.0L engine) and none of them have given me any major problems (problems I...
Back