Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

grrrrrrr check charging system

I had a really sticky one with the charging system, after a batter and two alternators didn't fix it, I did some deep inspections and founc that the fusable link off the + side of the battery was intermittantly connected because moisture, etc got up under the shrinktube they put on it at the...
  2. J

How to: How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

That is a hard-learned lesson. I used the less expensive ones all the way around... the first time through. 13 months later, I had to start all over again, as they started to fail one after another again. Second time through, used Timkens all around and we're 24 months later with none of them...
  3. J

Someone needs to shoot that Murphy guy. His law sucks! Sorry you had such a tough go of it, but at least now, you'll know what you're in for when it's time to do the other side.
  4. J

A learning experience My '05 started making bearing noise. Seemed to be coming from right front. I would turn to the left to load it up and it would get louder, turn to the right to take some load off it and it got quieter. 1st lesson learned: For some reason, the '05 Explorer XLT 4WD acts...
  5. J

Different Charging System Problem

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a feeling that might be what it is. I'll put a new one in and go from there. Thanks again
  6. J

Different Charging System Problem

I'm getting the Check Charging System alert & alarm when accelerating - when the RPM's get a little over 3000. Alternator, belt, something else? is this something i could track down using drive mode on my scanner? Any help is appreciated! *EDIT: When I run the System Check at anything under...
  7. J

Charging System problem

I had almost the identical problem as the OP on my '05. after replacing the battery and going through three junk-yard rebuilt alternators, was still having the same problem... wasn't the alternator or battery. What it turned out to be was a corroded fuseable link on the harness coming off the...
  8. J

How to: Replace 3rd Gen Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Really nice writeup - my wife's '05 Explorer is reading 15-20 higher than actual outside temps, and she wants me to fix it. Looks like one that is actually not too bad to do. Thanks for the great writeup and nice job with the accompanying photos. Looks like you've got a nice coat of road salt -...
  9. J

Newbie here

You should also put the battery on a charger then take it to a parts store to have it tested. If the battery is bad, the light won't go out. You should see just over 14V with the motor running. Fusable links on mine are right at the fuse box going into the main harness.
  10. J

Replaced alt. still not charging the battery.

if you have a bad battery, the battery light will stay on. If it has a bad cell, it won't charge properly. I'd start out by putting the battery on a charger, then take it to a parts store and have them test it.
  11. J

Newbie here

Alrighty, then.... It's one of those that makes you want to beat your head against the wall. So, being short on cash, I chose to go the salvage yard route. First one - didn't fix the problem - took it to NAPA and had it tested, bad alternator. They didn't have another, so I return it and...
  12. J

Not sure on a '93... generally starters are near the bell-housing at the back lower half of the engine. The starter solenoid would be another component to check. Some vehicles, have the solenoid mounted on the fire wall, others may have it bundled as one piece with the starter.
  13. J

if you're blowing a 60A fuse, there is a short someplace. Could be pretty much any place in that circuit. with the fuse replaced and the ignition off or in accessory, do you get a dome light, radio, etc? If other electrical components work, then it wouldn't be the battery cable.
  14. J

so, after checking every fuse under the hood, and all of them good, I pulled it and took it to NAPA and had the new/used alternator tested... bad, no DC out. The salvage yard said it came in on a running vehicle, but took it back and gave me a refund and my core back since they didn't have...
  15. J

HELP!!!!! similar problem on an '05 Explorer The Check Charging System message came up on the info cluster, along with the Battery idiot light. At first it was intermittent - coming on and off, and the voltage gage would go from normal to low and back, corresponding to what the check...
  16. J

Newbie here

Not new to explorers, but new to the forum. Trying to find ideas on a nasty charging system problem on my '05 Explorer. Acts like it's the alternator, but just got one from the local recycler, which came in yesterday on a running vehicle, and still not changing. Battery almost flat now...
Back