Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Yea, that's what the smell smells like. All the techs are calling it a burnt oil smell, and I knew it wasn't burnt oil smells, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It does remind me, now that you mentioned it, to salon-type chemicals, or a wet dog.
  2. B

I feel for you Karina, as I have dealt with this so much, that I just gave up, and I'm wondering if that is what the Ford Motor Company wants, for us to give up. Mine is a 2011 and I've had this smell from day 1, and the first explanation was it was a break-in period. And the other...
  3. B

Here's what their first response will be, "It's the break-in period; it will stop smelling around 10,000 miles." Hogwash! It still smells at 34,000 miles, and Ford will not deal with this issue.
  4. B

Thanks FairJim. I guess I'm not the only one that this issue cannot or will not be seriously looked into by Ford, and fix all these Explorers. Mine is a 2011, and I've been to the dealership off and on for this issue. After my last visit, I was just so irritated that nothing could be done...
  5. B

Cory, I picked up my vehicle today. I had the windows fixed from when they roll down they had a bumping motion. There was a TSB or something like that regarding these windows. Also had a creaking sound fixed. They replaced something called the door checks on the front driver and passenger doors...
  6. B

Why would it be greater in the third row seating? Does this smell start at the back and then move forward? I really thought it was coming out of my AC vents, but if it's exhaust it would make sense that it's coming from the back, but where is it getting in from back there?
  7. B

Cory: I took it to my dealer Saturday, July 5th, but the men couldn't duplicate the smell. There was also an issue with my windows (they were "bumping" as they roll down, in the driver and passenger side) and when the parts come in for the windows, they're going to have the service manager...
  8. B

Thanks. I guess I better check on this now. My Explorer was 2 years old in June, and I have 34,615 miles on her.
  9. B

I haven't discussed this problem for about 8 months. I have a 2011 Ford Explorer and had this problem and customer service at Ford said wait until you get more miles on your vehicle and "it [the smell] will be gone." Well, I have around 31,000 miles on her and I still notice that smell, and it...
  10. B

For me (I have an '11 EX), it doesn't matter if it's cold or hot, the smell upon acceleration is always present. Sometimes I don't notice it, and if I start to smell it, I hit the recirculate cabin air so the light is off. I have close to 13,000 miles on her, and it still does it. Every Ford...
  11. B

How do you read that? I clicked on the link and it looks foreign to me.
  12. B

Cory, after reading peanut0426's reply, why hasn't Ford fixed this already? Isn't Ford losing out on repeat customers because of this issue? I've given up on getting this fixed, that's why I haven't PM'ed you. It's like Ford technicians don't want to figure this out as it would be a major...
  13. B

I hope this does indeed fix this smell. Please keep us up-to-date, as I have around 10,200 miles on my 2011 Ex, and it still has this smell, but you've had to deal with this for 38,000 miles. Wow! Cory, will this be an issue every Ford dealership will be aware of?
  14. B

Mine still has the smell, but not as bad as in the beginning when I purchased by 2011 EX, back in June. I now have 9,600+ and still the smell exists. I do not have 4WD. I sure wish these Explorers had a little more get-up-and-go to them. I was told back when I had around 1,500 to 2,000 miles...
  15. B

Thanks Cory, but you've already help me tremendously with this. My vehicle has been at the dealership two different times, and I'm waiting for 10,000 miles to be on my vehicle to revisit the problem because that's what the Ford techs told my dealership that is wouldn't probably go away until...
  16. B

I don't think they want to figure it out. It's been over a year for some people with their new vehicles, and Ford has yet to come up with a fix?!!
  17. B

You would of thought the Ford "higher ups" would have already figured this problem out. To me, a vehicle of this caliber (and, of course, price) shouldn't be letting any of the smells into the cabin area. I never imagined the people behind me might be smelling it also. I guess Ford thought us...
  18. B

And, do you think Ford will come up with a fix? It's not just the EX's that are experiencing this smell. My dealer told me that he was test driving another Ford vehicle, and got that same smell. I never did believe the story of "it's the break-in period." I hope that this does because one of...
  19. B

Did you drive the vehicle, or did the mechanic drive it? When I had this problem, I had to really get the RPM up really high to get the smell, as it wasn't smelling with the mechanic, so I told him to hold on, and got those rpms up as high as I possibly could get them, and then he smelt it, but...
  20. B

I recently got my first oil change. I have about 5200 miles on my 2011 X now, and I don't notice the smell as much. It's really wierd, before the oil change, every single time I accelerated I would smell that smell, but now I don't smell it as often. Every once in a while I do smell it, but...
  21. B

I have the smell whether the air conditioner is on or off. I read somewhere on this thread to push the recirculate cabin air button to turn it off, and the smell isn't as strong, but this is a way to go around the smell, and this shouldn't be happening, in my view anyways it shouldn't be...
  22. B

That's what I thought too. My EX now has 4,500 miles on it, and the smell is still present. I would have thought a new vehicle would be broke in far before his many miles. I just think that the Ford technicians don't have a clue of how to fix this problem, so they came up with the reason of...
  23. B

I thought I read somewhere in this post where if you touch the recirculate air button/key on the touchscreen that you'll not smell it. I've tried that when I start to smell it, I just touch that button and then turn it back on a little bit later. That does help a lot.
  24. B

Wind wistle

Rollingrock I really feel for you. You would think they'd check your vehicle for anything possibly wrong with it before they brought it back to you. I'd either at this point be cursing up a storm, which I usually don't do, or just lose it altogether, and start crying like an idiot because I...
  25. B

Wind wistle

This whistling sound, is it sort of a vibration sound towards the top of the windshield. I've noticed that also, but wasn't sure if there was fix for it or not. When I say vibration, it's quite loud, and if the wind is blowing, it's a much louder whistle/rattle. With the burnt smell problems...
Back