Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

2012 Explorer - No AC at low speed - idle OK?

I had a similar sounding problem where the A/C would not stay on at idle/low speeds. My Ford mechanic was able to fix this problem by reprograming the cooling fans. He said that Ford had a TSB out on this. Odd thing was that this problem just started as the summer weather hit St. Louis this...
  2. X

Shake or shimmy in front end.

Wow, this is the first positive experience I have heard regarding the Explorer "Waddle". Please let us know if this proposed fix works. Frankly, I got tired of hearing the same excuses from my dealer and finally gave up. I still have my 2012 explorer, but will not buy another Ford. In fact...
  3. X

Very faint whining sound outside the car

Mine has this sound so it must be an undocumented feature.
  4. X

2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems?

I hope for your sake (and others) that Susan comes through on her offer of the free extended warranty, but I must say that it sounds too good to have been true. Please let us know if she ever comes through on this offer.
  5. X

You never hear about good things on a forum

I agree completely. If my explorer was perfect then I wouldn't have had much reason to visit social media because I would be too busy enjoying it! Personally I found solutions to problems posted on these forums which I have shared with my dealer service shop which has enabled them, directly or...
  6. X

Car keeps locking in car wash?

A warning against washing your Explorer using those touchless car washes. When I drove my into the bay of one these car washes, I ended up gouging two of my painted aluminum wheels on washes' ground guides. My wheels actually climbed the guides then slide down leaving nasty inch long gouges.
  7. X

Car keeps locking in car wash?

Wow, it's hard to lock the vob keys in the Explorer. Hey, at least your wife washes the car! :)
  8. X

luxury seating package seats sound cheap

The back side of my driver's side seat occasionaly squeeks. Playing with the lumbar or seat angle adjustments can make it go away.
  9. X

Wow 2 weeks! I hope they gave you a loaner vehicle. At least it sounds like your dealer is serious about wanting to solve the problem. I wish them (and you) good luck ;) As for me, I haven't been back to the dealer since my last post. I took a long vacation (without my Explorer) and have...
  10. X

Need some feedback before making a purchase

Since the 2014 Explorer's are starting to roll in you might be able to get a clearance deal on a 2013. 2012's seemed to have less reported problems than the 2011's, but 2012 was a short model year, so there may not be many used ones for sale out there just yet.
  11. X

Over time my dealer's service has used similar catch-all excuses on this shimmy problem too. If they are busy then the can't reproduce the problem. When I go with them on a test drive they acknowledge there a vibration. When they investigate they can't find a problem, they check with Ford and...
  12. X

12V Power Outlet Covers Breaking Off

Yes, the cover for the 12V outlet under the media center mysteriously broke off in my 2012 Explorer. I have never used this outlet either so likely is a poor design or manufacture.
  13. X

Creaking/Popping Noise In Dash

This hum was fixed on my '12 Explorer aways back. I found the info regarding the cowl hum problem in post on this board and reported it to my dealer. They confirmed the info with Ford Engineering who directed them to replace the cowl.
  14. X

WOW my loaner is better than my Explorer!

The loaner is probably a demo vehicle or one that could not be sold as new for some reason. Regardless, enjoy it while you can. Maybe you could delay giving it back by coming up with a few excuses to not accept your repaired vehicle such as a ripple in the paint, phantom noise, etc. -he he
  15. X

Explorer hood vibrates

I don't know if this is the same problem, but my Explorer used to have a hum which originated from the cowl at the base of the windshield. My Ford dealer replaced the cowl and the hum went away.
  16. X

Ashley, I appreciate your concern. I have already been contacted by my Ford CSM (Susan) and getting ready to go yet another round in trying to get this problem fixed, as well as others. I had to delay going back to the dealer due to vacation. Unfortunately, I'm skeptical anything will change...
  17. X

I agree with you Peter. It stands to reason that if these vibrations were typical with all Explorers then it would be considered design flaw or problem in assembly. This is just an excuse for not wanting to expend the time and effort to figure out what is really wrong. Surely, if more...
  18. X

If this was normal drive quality for this vehicle then all, including the automotive press, would have concluded Ford has no idea how design and build an Crossover SUV. I don't buy it because my previous explorer, which was based on a truck platform, rode pretty smoothly. Have you considered...
  19. X

Cory, Thanks for contacting my CSM and having her call me. She told me she would contact the service shop to discuss my case and then get back to me next week. Since this is the same CSM who worked this issue before for me, as well as the same service shop, I'm skeptical there will be...
  20. X

One day my 2012 Explorer will be a grow up to be a great vehicle.

One day my 2012 Explorer will be a grow up to be a great vehicle.
  21. X

Water Leak

Well said Peter.
  22. X

My '12 Explorer's tires have been rotated and balanced several times now over 20K miles. They have even been road force balanced twice, but the higher speed vibration remains. Being told (over and over) it's a normal driving characteristic for 5th generation Explorers to have "ViBraTioNs" is...
  23. X

Hi Crystal, Sorry I missed your reply to my post back in April. Anyway, I have gone through my CSM previously regarding this vibration issue to no avail. To summarize that experience, the CSM wasn't able to help my Ford service mechanic determine the problem. The mechanic has tried all that...
  24. X

myfoot - there was a TSB mentioned in another thread on this forum for the transmission thump issue (tsb 13-03-18 ). Mention this number to your dealer if you haven't. At the risk of jinxing myself, my transmission thump has been dormant for awhile.
  25. X

KentuckyExplorer, I understand your frustrations and second your warning regarding buying Ford. I have experienced similar treatment from Ford and don't plan to buy another anytime soon. Unfortunately, it seems Ford will have to lose more loyal customers until they get the message and change...
Back