Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Trans downshifting

Just to close this thread properly. I changed the TPS tonight. It was a very easy job, easier than changing the oil. During the test drive, it behaved better than it has in quite a few miles. The shifts are less random and the unlock problem seems to have gone away. I'll put a few more...
  2. H

Trans downshifting

Thanks for the help A couple of data points: Going to work this morning, no unlocks while cruising. 20+ mi., 67 deg. Coming home tonight, two unlocks. Both times on flat ground at 65, after hitting an expansion joint or a snowplowable lane marker. There is something abnormal going on...
  3. H

Trans downshifting

OK, How do you know?
  4. H

Trans downshifting

Thanks for the direction. I just have a couple of questions. Could it be the computer telling the TQ to unlock based on bad input due to a faulty sensor or a wiring problem? It does seem to be less common when it's wet outside. If I don't fix a bad TQ immediately, am I going to ruin...
  5. H

Trans downshifting

More data: Coming home tonight the trans acted up 4 times. The trip is about 20 mi., the temp. was about 85, windows partially down, AC off, cruise on 65mph, pretty flat N. Indiana State Rd. First: Going uphill to get on the highway. I was accelerating mildly and it unlocked for about...
  6. H

Trans downshifting

Wow, I guess this is a real head scratcher. A little more info. Coming home tonight I had a chance to observe a little more of what is going on. With the cruise at 65, the tach was showing about 2250 rpm, then it would shift and rise to 2500. I assume this is a shift from 5th to 4th, but...
  7. H

Trans downshifting

First the vehicle details: 1999 Explorer 4 dr. XLT 4WD, 4.0 SOHC, 5 speed OD auto (code D?), 158k, no engine or transmission codes, O/D button works. The problem: At highway speeds (60-65 mph), on cruise or not, the transmission seems to randomly downshift from 5th to 4th, then back up...
Back