Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Help transmission driving in N and no reverse

Same thing happened to my Ranger. Truck never saw a tow dolly or tow truck in the 35,000 miles that I drove it before the transmission decided to rearrange the shift order to PNDD21. This is what I found when I did a fluid and filter change and opened up the transmission filter...
  2. F

5R55E bogging down during acceleration.

Alright, the truck is finally fixed permanently. Total Cost: New Solenoid Bracket from Ford: $12 Mercon V Transmission Fluid: $60 My Labor/Time: $Free.99 Total time to replace parts: About two hours total including pulling the bolts from the junkyard truck. First off, EVERY single...
  3. F

Just put on some 31/10.50 all terrains, now O/D flashes when i do highway speeds help

$340 sounds like what it would cost to rebuild one at a shop with new parts. Might not be a bad deal if you can confirm it. I would definitely at least check the bracket, replace the aforementioned solenoids, and replace the plate, gasket, and filter/fluid.
  4. F

Just put on some 31/10.50 all terrains, now O/D flashes when i do highway speeds help

Sure, the TCC solenoid is the Torque Converter Control Solenoid. The EPC is the Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid. TC is the Torque Converter. One thing you have to watch out for is the quality of the replacement parts. I've never dealt with the aftermarket fully rebuilt valve bodies, so I...
  5. F

Hmmm, P0741, hesitation upon acceleration? Does your idle surge up and down at stops? I was having some similar issues with my Ranger, same code, same hesitation on acceleration, and especially the hunting overdrive over 45 mph on the highway. If I stayed on the gas, it would trip the O/D...
  6. F

Alright guys, there's nothing I hate more than a lack of updates. It ended up being a broken TCC bracket and missing TCC hold down bolt. What was happening was when the truck was cold, the computer was not commanding lockup, as IIRC it is programmed not to command lockup until the...
  7. F

4-5 flare

Internal leaks are complicated to diagnose since you can't see them when the transmission is sealed. The low line pressure and issues only when warm could definitely cause a pressure leak since most seals expand when warm. That's about the only tip the transmission is gonna give you, aside from...
  8. F

Freshly rebuilt trans Hesitates/dies on 1st to 2nd

Who performed the rebuild? If this problem did not exist previous to the trans rebuild, then it was a botched rebuild and should be covered under warranty.
  9. F

Transmission Open and Closed Loop Cycle?

Alright so pulling the TCC wire from the connector threw the O/D Off light as soon as the truck was started, so that means that my O/D Off light still works, and that the computer is trying to respond with the TCC solenoid up to that terminal. I realized the other day that I still have 5 quarts...
  10. F

1997 Explorer Sport. Transmission problems.

If your transmission fluid is gray, you have major issues. I haven't been in Kindergarten for quite some time, so I don't remember what colors mix to make what, but trans fluid should be red, and if it's not red, your fluid has probably been contaminated in some way. As Brooklyn said, there...
  11. F

Just as an update, I changed the plugs and wires yesterday, and it seems like the jumpy idle is about 85% reduced. Idle still hunts a little, but it's not a major jump like before. The IAC still seems to function fine, as when I pull the connector the truck idles down to around 400 close to...
  12. F

Stall when shifting from R to D?

My truck does this, but I have transmission issues.:p: When shifting into reverse, rpms drop 200-300, and the idle tends to surge up and down. Then when shifting into drive after stopping with the brake applied, idle raises up when the load is taken off, and then when drive engages, idle...
  13. F

Noticed a pressure change while driving

It is my understanding that whenever the transmission is put into limp mode, the line pressure is increased to prevent slippage. This could explain your increase in pressure.
  14. F

Yep, I'm gonna have to go on quite a shopping spree just to figure this out. It wouldn't piss me off as much if I were richer and had another truck to drive while this one is down. lol. I've read on a few different articles that unplugging the connector on the trans disables lockup, but I don't...
  15. F

Okay, well I ran across that post from another member on here that detailed one of my issues to a tee. Judging by his description of low line pressure causing the transmission to run better when cold, and the symptoms my truck is presenting, I'm pretty sure I'm facing transmission issues...
  16. F

4r55e help please

According to my books, P0761 refers to Shift Solenoid C. What is making you think it's the EPC solenoid?
  17. F

I'm really hoping my idle problem has nothing to do with the transmission.lol. Back when this first started, I pulled all the plugs and inspected them. The plugs had normal wear, with no signs of running rich or lean, however the gap on the plugs ranged from .070 to .080, when they should be...
  18. F

Ahh that makes sense. While playing around with it today, I noticed the problem gets better if I shut the A/C off. It only fluctuates a little bit, and doesn't seem to try and die. Another thing, if I put the truck in Neutral at stop lights, the idle goes right back to normal and the truck...
  19. F

Ahh I see. All good things to check. I can see how the computer keeps O/D out until the trans warms up. But the biggest thing that confuses me is that there are absolutely no symptoms when the truck is cold. If I had a bad separator plate gasket or a faulty TC, wouldn't these issues show up when...
  20. F

Hey guys, quick question. When the PCM is in open loop, does it also ignore the transmission sensors, such as the solenoids? My problem is the wonderful, awesome P0741 TCC Clutch Stuck Off code. I have a problem with the idle getting really jumpy at stops and sometimes the truck will just...
  21. F

True, but at 50,000 miles, what is the likelihood of the valves already causing issues, and or a solenoid actually failing? I could understand 100,000 plus miles, but not where I'm at now. The trans fluid is fresh, smells fine even after 4,000 miles, and there were no significant flakes and or...
  22. F

Thanks for the reply, however I'd rather ohm out the TCC solenoid first before I go and replace it. I searched before on the ohm procedure and acceptable readings, but found nothing. Gonna try to search again, but if anybody know what the TCC should ohm out to, I'd greatly appreciate it.
  23. F

Newb with a Ranger.

Hey guys, just wanted to say I've been browsing this site for a few months now for the awesome transmission info. This site is by far the leader when it comes to technical information on RBV's. Unfortunately, the biggest reason I joined is because I'm fighting my 5R55E, and just want to throw a...
  24. F

Hey guys, new to this forum, but definitely not new to the Bordeaux Transmission fun. :) I have a 2003 Ranger 4x2 with a 3.0 and 5R55E. The truck has 49,400 original miles on it. The problem I am having with the truck has just gotten a little worse the longer I've owned the truck. I bought it...
Back