Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

5r55w slips shifting 1-2 & possible tc lock-up issue

Funny story: Truck has been making a sort of swooshing noise heard mainly from the passenger side, almost like a slight exhaust leak. I only noticed it after my transmission rebuild. Didn't spend a LOT of time looking into it because of the elk hunt coming up. Couple of weeks later I'm...
  2. M

Finished, but... So I finally got the transmission rebuilt and installed. Everything works.....but I was expecting firmer shifts with the Transgo shift kit. The tcc lock-up is definitely more positive than before, but everything else still seems soft/slow. Here is what I did: Installed...
  3. M

I was looking at the RatioTek pdf and the reverse brake drum pictured there has the same blue heat mark, so I am assuming it's normal. That leaves the cause of the forward clutch slippage. Any ideas on a root cause? Thanks in advance! Sorry for all the Q's. Just on a tight budget. Dumb...
  4. M

What's your opinion?

Might be your pump. I believe the pump and the TC are the only things spinning in neutral/park, but I could be wrong.
  5. M

Thanks for the information guys. It just might be the solenoid block or valve body. Read on and let me know if you still think so. I took the transmission apart and the hard parts look good. The forward clutch has .081" clearance (supposed to be .051-.079). I will get a thicker snap ring...
  6. M

No one huh? That's fine. I guess I will just have to tear it down and see what is burnt/damaged. Don't really want to dig into the internals if I don't have to. I am thinking about the Transgo shift kit. Does this require any modification of the valve body? I have read that the...
  7. M

Took it to a Ford dealer today. There weren't any codes because cel hasn't lit and od light hasn't flashed. They verified it is slipping, "reflashed the pcm", didn't fix it, flushed the transmission (the fluid was lightly burnt), and still slipping. They recommended a new transmission due to...
  8. M

Maybe my first post was too long or asked too many questions. Does anyone know which clutch the 5r55w uses to shift from 1st to 2nd gear?
  9. M

I own an 02 limited 4x4 with 70k miles. It currently slips when shifting 1-2, but mostly under heavy load/acceleration. It shifts okay if I granny it. I haven't found many posts about 1-2 shift problems. I talked to a Ford tech and he said it sounds like the intermediate clutch is...
  10. M

02 transmission dieing

I have an 02 with 4.6L engine and automatic transmission. It slips when shifting from first to second gear, and the torque converter seems to switch from locked-up to unlocked every 1-5 seconds sometimes (noticeable when accelerating, towing or climbing hills). I don't tow often, but am a...
  11. M

Replace flexplate without draining transmission?

:thumbsup: I like the idea, but they aren't a stock listed item at my local auto parts store. However, I called them and they can get it that day if it's before 2 or 3 p.m. (I don't remember which) and a weekday. Thanks guys! I'm feeling much better about things. I ordered my parts and...
  12. M

I read somewhere in the forum that I should replace the shim between the crank and the flexplate, but there are two shims available at auto parts stores: a 0.050" and a 0.025". Which did the '02 V8 auto come with from the factory? I can't seem to find that information anywhere on the web (or...
  13. M

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.
  14. M

Thanks for your thoughts. The teeth on the flexplate are most definitely damaged. I took pictures, but they didn't turn out very well. Would the spacer go between the mounting surfaces on the starter and bell housing? If so, there are no spacers. Wouldn't a spacer push the starter back...
  15. M

Also, my brother told me I should replace the torque converter while I am in there, but that seems a little unnecessary to me. Would it really be a good idea? I just hate to throw money at something that isn't broken. Thanks for any help.
  16. M

Just wondering if there is a way to replace the flexplate without draining the transmission fluid. I am hoping to just slide the transmission back to access the flexplate and torque converter. Would I have to drain the torque converter before I remove it? Will it drain itself after I remove...
  17. M

5R55W Fluid Fill

I would imagine you drain it with the engine off. Don't want it running when there isn't any fluid in the tranny! Only have the engine running when filling the tranny back up (i.e. fill it as much as you can with the engine off, then start it, cycle the gears slowly, wait until warm and fill...
  18. M

Engine buzzing at low rpm - but not at idle -

I just bought an 02 explorer a few months ago. It made this noise on test drive, but I got a good deal on it and it didn't sound serious. But it bugs me. Basically the engine buzzes (sounds like an interior door/instrument cluster alarm on an old car) when the truck shifts into fifth gear...
Back