Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Clutch reservior - did I mess it up?

Just start out in second. :D
  2. R

Clutch trouble shooting?

Possible slave cylinder. I did a clutch on my 97 and the clutch itself wasn't terribly worn but it wouldn't shift worth a darn. Replaced clutch and slave/throwout bearing, all better.
  3. R

Can the transmission be removed with the Y-pipe in place?

When I did my clutch, I removed the Y pipe with my sawsall. Then, I removed the manifolds and took them over to my local garage so they could heat the bolts that held the remainder of the Y pipe. Next time, I will go to the garage before I start and have them loosen up the pipe to manifold...
  4. R

Parking Brake REassmebly - Goin Crazy here!

Giant pain in the ass. Getting the rear return spring on with the axle installed will be entertaining at the very least.
  5. R

97 4.0 OHV Explorer Exhaust manifold question

I did a clutch on my 97 OHV recently. When I put my impact on the manifold to engine nut, it brought the whole (nut and stud) thing out. Meanwhile, the Y pipe needed to be removed to drop the trans. I don't have heat so I ended up using my sawsall to cut the Y pipe and installed a new one...
  6. R

5 speed manual issues

Mine had a slow engagement into gear and I had to wait for engine to match the trans speed (same as driving my semi) while moving. During the winter, I did the clutch and slave. I got it done last week and it shifts perfectly now. I didn't think the old clutch was all that worn when I got it...
  7. R

transfer case sensors

Do you mean the Hall sensors? I was trying to find new ones as well but didn't have much luck.
  8. R

Rear steel brake lines for 97 2door 4wd?

I bought some straight lines with the coating and bent them by hand. The coating prevents kinking, didn't need a bender at all.
  9. R

Question about towing behind pickup..

When I was young, we had an old GMC pickup that ran on propane. The fuel gauge didn't work and at least once a year, we would lose track of when we filled up last. We lived about 25 miles away from the nearest propane filling station, so we got very good at using a chain to pull the truck that...
  10. R

Which is the Better Throwout Bearing?

When I was ordering my parts from Rock Auto, to save a few bucks on shipping I ended up with two throwout bearings. One that is already attached to the slave (it's a Dorman) and just the bearing that came in the Rhinopac clutch kit. I noticed the the bearings are of different designs. One has...
  11. R

rear brake rotors seize to Ford 8.8 axle

I never re-use a rotor. They are dirt cheap to replace, so why bother wasting time finding a place that will turn them, when I can pick up new ones for the same price.
  12. R

rear brake rotors seize to Ford 8.8 axle

This vid helped me get the front rotors off. It's a simple and awesome solution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs
  13. R

Insane Banging, Shake, Shudder when Rear Wheels Slip

This 97 Sport (5 speed 4WD) is a bit of a project. It snowed here on Friday and I had to shuffle it around to gain access to my garage. When I stepped on the gas, the rear wheels started to slip and I just expected the four wheel drive to kick in automatically. Instead, I got a huge shudder...
  14. R

New excitement turned nightmare...

What shop? If you say the GearZ shop, I will be insanely jealous. I heart Stacey, he was the only reason I watched Spike. I heard that he quit Trucks! because they wouldn't let him keep the projects. All the better for us, why keep his talent limited to just trucks, his car builds are...
  15. R

Dig the shirtZ. :D
  16. R

I suppose it's a balance of what you would lose by getting rid of it or having it repaired and deciding on how long it would take for you to get the money back out of it as a daily driver. I like to look at a monthly payment of a reasonably priced vehicle that is in reasonable shape. Actual...
  17. R

clutch pedal arm lateral movement

This was my experience removing and replacing the brake/clutch pedal assembly. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330128&highlight=brake+clutch+pedal
  18. R

R and R Clutch/Brake Pedal Assy

My clutch/brake pedals were very stiff. It was at the point where I had to pull the brake pedal back up with the top of my foot. I was able to pick up the whole new assembly from Ford for about $150 CAD. After much searching, I couldn't really find a comprehensive guide to remove this from...
  19. R

Change Your Plugs!

D'oh! (I'm sure the language you used was a tad stronger)
  20. R

Bad Starter??

When my starter went, it was this big (exposed wire) that ran from the solenoid to the starter body.
  21. R

4.0 sohc starter r&r

I recently did the starter on my new to me, OHV. It took a little manipulation with my arm but I found a way to access the starter through the front suspension. I didn't even drop the driveshaft. Like you I found putting the starter vertical was the best way to get the wires off. A quarter...
  22. R

Mustang Rear Brakes in 97 Sport?

I was looking around to find out how to get my Ebrake working again. The shoes and hardware have been completely removed from my Sport and one of the actuator levers is broken. While I'm sure I can dig in and get it figured out, one member mentioned that he had installed Mustang rear calipers...
  23. R

1997 Sport (Came with Rust at no Extra Charge)

Hello all. I recently picked up a 97 Sport with a five speed for $800. It currently shows 265,000 KM (165,000 MI). I had to replace my poor old 95 Chrysler Concorde (I had it for ten years) which met it's demise while I was conducting a left turn. Since my wife has the late model Town and...
Back