Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

I had a fleet vehicle 2011 xlt and it had the issue right away. After well over a year of tried fixes and no luck, they took it away. I must have driven a dozen rental cars while I was waiting for my new 2014 explorer to be delivered (none of the rentals had any fumes, by the way and none were...
  2. D

After a year and a half the smell is finally gone! Looks like the fix "fixed" it. Too bad it took...
  3. D

I was told by my dealership over a month ago that the parts were ordered. I called last week and still no parts? Don't know what the deal is with that. I have been patient though. This Explorer now has over 100,000 miles. It would be nice to finally get rid of this pesky situation. My company...
  4. D

Why isn't everyone with Explorers having this problem? Mine has 78,000 miles on it. Problem still exists. Ford say's to wait for a fix. In the meantime, I'm still getting fumed out.
  5. D

It does smell like catalytic converter to me.
  6. D

Another update: Well, Ford replaced the pcv valve and some hose and just like the last "fix", there was no smell for the first few days. Then, slowly, it started coming back and now, a week and a half later, it is back in full force! I was really hoping that this time it would be fixed...
  7. D

UPDATE: The "valve cover fix" didn't work! Sad, but true. My 2011 explorer xlt, now with 66,000 miles still has the smell even after a supposed fix for whatever they thought they found. Sheesh! You would think that in this day and age of technology that some stupid smell could be tracked...
  8. D

I've been on vacation. Next week I will take it to the dealer for the work. I'll let you know.
  9. D

Smell update: Ford has made an updated valve cover assembly and is shipping it to my dealer. As soon as they install it, I will test and let you know how it went. I'm hoping it works, because 62,000 + miles and the smell remains... On an unrelated note, they are also going to replace a...
  10. D

3.5L V6 I think that's the only one other than the Ecoboost. 2011 XLT Built in July 2011. :) 38,000 miles already! I know. It's a work vehicle and I cover a lot of ground.
  11. D

Update: I picked up the xlt today. The service department said that, yes, oil was leaking from a tube onto the engine air filter and exhaust due to some kind of a problem with the valve cover. It looks like Ford is working on a fix. Hope it's soon! On an even better news front, the...
  12. D

Okay, I took my 2011 XLT back to the dealership today. They installed the updated "A" pillars. They also said they found what was causing "the smell". From what I can gather, Pressure was causing oil to get into one of the air filters (still not quite sure which one) and saturated it, and...
  13. D

Thanks Cory, They did call me. They said there is a new replacement "a" pillar part that has been ordered for me. They will also look at the smell issue....again. I hope it works out this time. I appreciate your assistance.
  14. D

35,000 miles. Still stinks! I will take it back to the dealership (again) as soon as I get a chance. I don't have high hopes though. This is indeed a sad situation. I guess this needs to go to another level to get more attention. Oh yeah, the A pillar is worse after they installed new...
  15. D

The smell on mine is exactly the same after 26,000 miles now. It doesn't matter if the air is on or not. It happens pretty much every time I have to put any kind of load on it (3000 + rpms or so). I will try again after all of the holiday madness is over. I just haven't had time to take it in...
  16. D

Today was really bad. I smelled it bigtime even without the air on. Just to check, I let down the windows and the smell got very bad. Man, there is something very wrong here. I bet the car that's behind me is smelling it too, thinking "man those new explorers stink!". I'm afraid to try to...
  17. D

Thanks, I'll see if the dealership here in Stephenville TX will try that test. I'm tired of this. I'm glad somebody may have finally found the culprit. The only problem is, why doesn't this happen to everyone? I hope it gets solved. Also, yes I tried revving the rpm's to the red line. It was...
  18. D

I visited the dealership for the second time this morning. The smell wasn't happening this fateful morning though. I guess because it was unusually cold. Whatever. This is getting old... The smell decided not to show up with the mechanic along for a ride, and he said to come back in as soon...
  19. D

I had a similar situation with the smell not as bad just after an oil change. The smell did end up coming back as strong as ever though. The a pillars are a design flaw. I had mine replaced and the noise just got different. I will take it back and try again as soon as I have the time.
  20. D

Over 10,000 Miles. Still smells! I have had the same fume issue since I started driving mine. The smell goes away when the air conditioner isn't on. There has to be some kind of a/c system leak from the engine bay. Odometer is about 10,500 miles. It doesn't matter if the recirculate button is...
Back