Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

3rd row electric seat back won't elevate.

Glad to help. I just can't see how you can operate it manually without taking out the gearbox or cutting the worm gear. If you do that, the back of the seat will be loose and a bit dangerous. I'm also looking at resale value. If the seat doesn't work right, someone is going to take off at least...
  2. E

Most on-line vendors are charging around $240 for one, the dealer wanted close to $300. I found this one on-line for $206. Shipping added about $24 to the total. fordpartsgiant The part number is for the left side, you will have to search there for the right side one. I had no problems with...
  3. E

Just get use to it.:rolleyes: Things creep up on you and you find yourself wondering why it took so long to do something and why you hurt so much more then before. You bruise easily and bleed a lot more the older you get. Some of it's from age, some from the medications you're taking for...
  4. E

Yeah, I can believe that. A lot of my time was spent figuring out what the next step was since for me, there were things one had to do before you could do something else. I also think that my age and working alone did slow me down. Usually, a project that I could do in an hour when I was in my...
  5. E

I noticed that I couldn't post any attachments and so I didn't make any special effort to take progress pictures. Now I see I can post links to pictures...:rolleyes: Anyway, I think the procedure below is fairly descriptive and should be all you need to do the job of replacing one of these...
  6. E

I seem to remember that they held down the trim on each side of the seat, but I can't find where, and I'm not about to take things apart just for these two screws. They are not structural to hold the seats down or anything, so I'm just leaving them be for now. I think the "repair book"...
  7. E

OK, good question. You have to keep in mind a few things. For one, I had no idea which steps I needed to take and in what order. It took me some time to find the screws and determine how to access them and what I didn't have to remove. Secondly, I had no help. I was able to do the entire job...
  8. E

In my case, it's the gears. The worm gear is indeed metal and needs to be. The motor runs fine. The gears not only have a large reduction ration (I'm guessing 1000:20), but they change direction by 90 degrees. The gearbox is plastic and the gear that I can see looks like black nylon. The gearbox...
  9. E

Confusion is not unlikely at my age,:rolleyes: but I can swear that someone said a load might cause the problem, putting strain on the gears. That's a possibility, but sorry if I confused what you said with what someone else said. :D My point was that in order to get to the worm gear and attach...
  10. E

Nope, never loaded much of anything heavier than a load of groceries and other stuff from Costco. Got a truck for the real heavy stuff. Seats have always been in a full down position since we've only had them up a few times anyway. Just the luck of the draw I guess....:rolleyes:
  11. E

I wish it was that easy, but it looks like to get to the rod, you'd wind up having to take the seat out to get to it. In my case, we probably had the seat up maybe a half-dozen times. We rarely need it and given a choice, we'd have opted for just the second row. One time that we did need it, we...
  12. E

Thanks for the offer, I have a very inquisitive streak in me though. I used to take my toys apart and put them back as a very young child, that streak has been with me for well over 70 years. I'll take a few pictures though, and did intend to take the motor/gearbox apart and see if the gears are...
  13. E

That would be the best approach, but the motor is fine, it's the gears that are broken. The gears are in a plastic gearbox that you cannot access without taking the assembly out to begin with. And that's just the start. They know what they're doing, take a shoddy design, make sure that the gears...
  14. E

I'm guessing no one here has done this before. Well, I checked with a local dealer and got two quotes, the part is $273.33 plus local tax for the part only. I talked to the service dept and got a quote of $683 plus tax for the part and installation. A used parts yard told me that they wouldn't...
  15. E

Hello folks, I found this forum and thread by searching for a solution to my third row seating problem. Yes, the motor does run and the rod doesn't move so I too have a broken gear that seems to be unfixable. I see where the cost of the motor assy is in the $200-300 range, but I'm assuming here...
Back