Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2

01 ranger 4.0(E) into an 01 explorer 4.0(E)

My 01 x that had the 4.0 sohc is done for good and I have an 01 ranger 4.0 sohc engine and trans. my trans is good in the x, but got a good deal on both. how much modifying will I need to do to get this thing out of my driveway? I can see the obvious, (harness, intake, tstat housing...) any...
  2. 2

2001 explorer 4x4 4.0 engine ideas

My engine went out after driving through a flooded street and it apparently sucked water through the air intake tube i had from the stock air box down to the front wheel well. it died on me and tried to start but nothing. got it home and took out the plugs and lots of water came out the plugs...
  3. 2

Transmission ID + O/D Light Flashing

My 01 4.0 4x4 started slipping but no codes. now it slips and the od light started to flash. il get the codes read with my cp9580a and post up any codes it finds... btw it has 175k on it and the trans got replaced last yr..
  4. 2

timing chain replacement on 4.0 liter sohc

I took the front hydraulic tensioner out and put the original one back in, it is significantly quieter than with the replacement. i guess i got lucky and it was all thats wrong and not a pc of guide falling down.
  5. 2

I finally replaced both hydraulic tensioners and the noise got worse. do yall think when i removed the tensioners that the guide inside may have fell out or maybe a bad tensioner? Not looking forward to dismantling this POS motor, but if i have to i will. Next step is take down the front and...
  6. 2

Im gonna start off with the easiest fix 1st-both tensioners. if that doesnt quiet the engine some, il replace all the front guides. thanks for the help yall! Il keep ya posted with the results.
  7. 2

Thanks 2000StreetRod! Il look into getting all the new guides for it and hopefully replace them pretty soon. i didnt want to have to retime the whole setup. this will b the last time i get a ford vehicle, esp the 4.0 SOHC bc these motors r a pita.
  8. 2

Thanks 2000StreetRod! Il look into getting all the new guides for it and hopefully replace them pretty soon. i didnt want to have to retime the whole setup. this will b the last time i get a ford vehicle, esp the 4.0 SOHC bc these motors r a pita. the noise started one morning after work and i...
  9. 2

do i need to remove the front chains in order to change out just the guides? i think one of the front guides is broken (light ticking noise coming from bottom front of the engine) idk which one may be broke, but its never been done since ive had it about 21/2 yrs and has 170k. i know this will...
  10. 2

01 x 4.0 stumbling

I think i may have put them in without gapping them since others have told me not to insert a gapper tool in platinum, iridium, nickel or other material besides copper bc it destroys the fine wire. but i found the problem,it was the #2 plug that the porcelain was cracked. luckily i had more...
  11. 2

01 x 4.0 stumbling

I have an 01 x with a 4.0 and recently changed plugs and wires (motorcraft sp432) gapped at .054 and it stumbles and hesitates while accelerating to get up to hiway speed. the plugs i pulled out were motorcrafts too but gap was .030 already dumped lucas fuel sys cleaner and changed fuel filter...
  12. 2

01 x 4.0 P0401 only code help

I checked my spark plugs bc of a drop in MPG amd they werent gapped right (0.030) i gapped them all at 0.054 and its worse than before!!! Esp while at a stop and i hit the gas, it spits and sputters tjen picks up pretty good. i am running motorcraft platinum plugs with new BWD wires (since 2 of...
  13. 2

A little help needed on P0401 code!

Ive already replaced EGR valve, DPFE sensor, intake gaskets, cleaned the EGR tube and ports and checked all vac lines to/from EGR/EVR with a persistent P0401. Also did a voltage check on DPFE and EVR which passed. anything else i need to look into? I took out my upstream O2 sensor from the...
  14. 2

clanking sound while turning

It started doin it after i tightened the torsion bar key bolts to raise the front end of it... i might have gone up too far, il maybe lower it a couple of turns and see if it goes away.
  15. 2

I took out the upper O2 sensor and its white/tan colored. i normally see them black/dark brown. Will this help out if i replace them after all, they only have 170k on them!!
  16. 2

A little help needed on P0401 code!

Ive already replaced EGR valve, DPFE sensor, intake gaskets, cleaned the EGR tube and ports and checked all vac lines to/from EGR/EVR with a persistent P0401. Also did a voltage check on DPFE and EVR which passed. anything else i need to look into? I took out my upstream O2 sensor from the...
  17. 2

93 xlt axle code D1?

My 01 explorer has the "46" axle code and im aware its a 3.73 conv axle. I removed the check/fill plug and the magnet on the plug had metal shavings and a lg chunk on it, could it be shot? If i end up replacing it, is it possible to swap it with a "D1" axle? Maybe it will get better fuel mileage...
  18. 2

CEL came back on with the pesky P0401 code!! My next plan is to replace the EVR solenoid. it does lack power and sucks on fuel mileage if this has anything to do with it.
  19. 2

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Hello all!! I have an 01 x 4x4 4.0 with 169k on it and it shifts fine in town and in the highway. i replaced the trans in it in feb of 12 and no probs from it until a few days ago it was raining and my leadfoot got the best of me and decided to hydroplane the truck on a turn. while it tried to...
  20. 2

correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics...

I have a 01 X 4WD V6 SOHC. mine rattles from the front of the engine, so im suspecting the primary chain guides/tensioner is weak... I do plan on replacing the water pump (removing the radiator for more clearance) which is the perfect time to do this as well as replace front crank seal and...
  21. 2

I lost coolant.... but where?

Im having almost the same problem with mine. i just flushed and filled my cooling system on my 01 ex 4.0 sohc and when i first start it in the morning, it will drip. then after about 2 mins, no more....
  22. 2

Well... out of 8 monitors, only 5 were ready for testing. i had to have at least 7 to get it to pass. either egr system or evap system were incomplete. the list is as follows- Misfire monitor-ok fuel sys mon-ok comp component-ok catalyst mon-incomplete evap sys mon-incomplete oxygen sensor...
  23. 2

Thanks yall for the replies!! I ended up replacing the DPFE sensor and the light hasnt came back since. ive been driving it around on the highway and in town to get the I/M monitors ready for the emissions test.
  24. 2

Any way of checking it or is it just a toss it and get another one and hope it cures it?
  25. 2

Forgot to mention i sprayed carb cleaner through the small tubes leading to the dpfe sensor. is there any special way to clean the big tube under the egr valve from the exh mani? Maybe its plugged up with carbon buildup...
Back