Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Misfiring at low rpms, what could it be?

Finally got it fixed! Took my truck in and had them replace the torque converter, problem solved! Just for future reference my symptoms were: 30-50 mph with light acceleration my rpms would jump up about 150 rpm every few seconds. Felt similar to a misfire. Only happened at rpms lower...
  2. F

Yeah I am confused as to why it only happens at 35-45. Not only that but why does it only happen when warm also? I have also noticed that my mpg has gone down a bit since this started happening. Not a huge amount but about 1-2 mpg, and I am not talking about per fillup, I mean when doing 70 mph...
  3. F

Okay so I got my truck back from my mechanic and I am just going to quote his report word for word. "Engine Surge at 35-45 mph at warm operating temperatures. Check and advise. Torque converter clutch surge. Torque converter clutch (TCC) slip speeds vary from 0 to 150 rpm. Throttle position...
  4. F

When you say engine speed change do you mean RPM or mph? I am pretty sure the rpm just surges on the truck but my speed remains relatively constant, although I could be wrong.
  5. F

Just wanted to add that I looked up TPS symptoms and my truck doesn't hesitate at all in acceleration. At least I don't notice any hesitation. It just likes to surge during low rpms. I am pretty sure it doesn't surge at all during idle or anything above 2k rpms. How about the mass airflow...
  6. F

Will do, my mechanic is on a week long vacation so I will have to wait for him to get back. I hope it has a pending code, otherwise I may just end up shooting in the dark trying to fix this thing. Is that a common problem on these trucks? Anything else it could be? Trying to gather as...
  7. F

About two months ago I had a problem with my truck misfiring at low rpm, most prominently at 1500-2000 rpm while lightly accelerating from about 65 mph on the freeway. I changed the spark plugs, the fuel filter, and the charge motion control valve. The problem disappeared for a few weeks...
  8. F

My CV joint let out all the grease, uh oh?

Sorry for the long delay, I finally got the whole problem figured out. The CV boot was leaking on the rear left side so I just had my mechanic order a re-manufactured half shaft with a boot already attached because it was cheaper than just a boot ironically. Anyways the noise still persists...
  9. F

My CV joint let out all the grease, uh oh?

My 2006 Ford Explorer XLT V8 is having problems, again. Long story short when I take off from a stop sometimes it would make a noise that sounded like a groan as I pulled away. It would only last a few seconds though. Anyways I look under my truck and the rear wheel is covered in black grease on...
  10. F

Saving Money on Fuel Isn't So Easy

Read it a little too quick and thought he meant a 1 series coupe haha, let me edit that real quick :D
  11. F

My friend has a 2002 VW Jetta Wagon, the smaller version of the Passat and my 2006 Explorer is only slightly larger, and he manages 28 mpg combined easily without trying while I STRUGGLE to get 17 mpg combined doing the same drive, and I am easier on the gas! We both switch off driving for road...
  12. F

There are so many variables it can get kind of crazy. The largest of the variables however are repair cost, rate of depreciation, and gas mileage. My 2007 Ford Ranger is paid off, in excellent condition with no repairs in sight, and gets halfway decent mileage at 17 combined with the 4 liter...
  13. F

Replacing Gen 2

2006-2008 they had a large problem with the plugs. As the guy above me explained. As far as manifolds I have just known that many people have had them warp around 80-100k miles with the V8. I'm not sure exactly what years are affected though. I just know that it is a common occurence.
  14. F

Replacing Gen 2

Spark plugs and exhaust manifolds are the main things to question the owners about. If they haven't been done they will most likely need to be around 80-100k miles. For $15,000 you would be able to get a loaded 2008-2010 XLT 2 wheel drive without a problem, avoiding the plug issue. However it...
  15. F

Transmission Feels Like It's Slipping

Hmmm... when initially accelerating from a stop does the truck buck at all? Like you give it gas, the truck almost hesitates like the parking brake is on and then off you go. Or something along those lines?
  16. F

Surging/jerking while accelerating???

I took apart the CMCV motor. It was definitely broken, the actual motor and everything seemed to work fine. The problem is the motor drives a spiral piece of metal to make a plastic gear turn, and well that plastic gear had most of it's teeth missing causing it to not be able to grip and turn.
  17. F

From what I gathered from my mechanic it indeed was the motor. He mentioned before about hearing the gears inside the motor slipping but from what I gathered asking them about it they didn't test it when they took it out to make sure it was broken. I don't mind though, I'll take apart the old...
  18. F

Finally! The results!!! It's like a new truck now, I have driven it about 30 or so miles so far and the difference is quite large. A plug or two actually had the electrode either wear down or snap off the mechanic said. So that explains the only minor misfire. Now my idle to 30% throttle...
  19. F

Haha I agree it definitely isn't a Porsche. It ended up being $340 out the door for the plugs, since one did break. However they were actually on the low end of the quotes. Most people said $500 to do my trucks plugs, and that's if none broke! :eek: Well after replacing the plugs the mechanic...
  20. F

Transmission Feels Like It's Slipping

Is the car moving at all when you do this or does it feel like it's in neutral? I had a 1999 Dodge Ram that would do something very similar. It was extremely noticeable when giving it a lot of gas going uphill. It turned out to be the torque converter. The truck did not have a tachometer but...
  21. F

2007 Explorer idle issues

Do you have the V6 or V8? Based on the location it sounds like an exhaust manifold leak. But I have no idea, that's just extremely common for the V8. Both of mine were leaking when I had 79,000 miles on my truck. Did the car not shift and sputter when flooring it, or normal driving conditions?
  22. F

2006 XLT Throttle Body Cleaning

They are just a smaller Explorer to me. If you don't use the cargo space of your Explorer a lot you probably won't have a problem. I'm no expert by any means though. I just looked at one when I was trying to find a vehicle for myself. That market is however pretty much nailed by foreign...
  23. F

2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 wont rev up.

Do you have the codes?
  24. F

Popping sound when accelerating 2007 4.6L Explorer

What about a general mechanic? If it is a simple problem that is easy to find a good mechanic will do it for free, and at most it would be around $75 for a diagnosis. If possible can you try to describe the popping sound a little more?
  25. F

I'm just going to have my mechanic do the spark plug change because I am notorious for snapping bolts :D The estimate for the spark plug change is currently $300 but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it ending up to be around $500 or more all said and done. The CMCV is $525. The motor he is...
Back