Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Digital Dash Swap?

It is necessary to ADD pin 43, directions elsewhere in this forum. However, the computer must have the routine in it for DCL to function. 1993 and 1994 3.0 Rangers do, I have no clue if your F150 does or not. You'll be shooting in the dark, but probably not the first time though, am I right?
  2. T

Ranger Plastic Upper intake mod idea...

Hello all, I was looking at a plastic upper intake for the 3.0 and it occurred to me that everybody who mods is interested in increasing the amount of airflow into the cylinders by one method or another, or a combination of methods to accomplish the task. Being that each intake valve is only...
  3. T

Digital Dash Swap?

I would say it is doubtful it would "fit" your Explorer in native T-Bird/Cougar form. I have one destined to become part of my 93 Ranger, which has a similar instrument panel as your Explorer. For mine I took a different tact. I purchased a second mechanical instrument cluster like my...
  4. T

no brake lights

Your Explorer should be very similar to my Ranger. As with most vehicles there are essentially three lights on the rear. Park lights (come on with the headlights), Brake lights, Reverse (or Back Up lights). On some vehicles one Brake light bulb is employed to flash for turn signals but...
  5. T

no brake lights

Bad bulbs... My guess is that both the left and right brake bulbs are bad. Take them out and make a resistance check if you have an ohm meter. Visually inspect the filament in each to see if its broken, shake them and see if the filaments vibrate or not. This should be a cheap fix. One...
  6. T

no brake lights

Explorer/Ranger Brake Light Broken Wire... My 93 Ranger XLT :rangertan: had the exact same problem. I noticed something was wrong when cruise control would not disengage depressing the brake pedal. A bit scary. Same as above, one broken wire. I unplugged the socket from the switch and...
  7. T

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

Resistor replacement is the proper fix You are completely correct. Many users simply resolder the resistors. If you take the time to think about why they come unsoldered, understanding it starts to become more clear. Solder melts at just over 700 degrees F. I hope nobody thinks their...
  8. T

Stock resistors will fail again... I'd replace them with two from Radio Shack. The stock resistors obviously run too hot and this is what makes them desolder themselves (along with gravity, since upside down). I used a higher wattage resistor to better handle the current load imposed by the...
  9. T

Sensor location Does anyone with the manual for the electrical wiring diagram know where the thermistor (the temperature sensor) is located so I can check it? Scott Hi Scott, On the Explorer I believe it is located behind the grille fastened to the AC condenser support, probably on the...
  10. T

Thanks a bunch! I have a 93 Ranger XLT that I modded with a 1999 Explorer O.H.C. It worked for a couple of months no problem. One day coming home I noticed the display was out, mode change didn't revive it. I cried out, Well Horse feathers! I read your info on this problem & took mine apart...
  11. T

TripMinder Message Center Install!

Somehow this ended up in the wrong place.
  12. T

Cam Position Sensors only if Distributor-Less... I believe Cam Position Sensors exist only on engines that are distributor-less, and that began in 1994 on 3.0 Rangers. (unsure of the 4.0) It lets the ignition system be in proper "sync" with the valve train. The actual distributor is...
  13. T

Could you possibly help with locating a PCM pinout for the 1993 Ranger XLT 3.0 automatic? I'm nearing completion of the 89 Cougar Digital Instrument Cluster swap mod and want to be sure I connect/add a pin to the right one on my PCM. I would be very grateful. I sure hope my PCM has output...
  14. T

Digital Dash Swap?

Connector question... -------------------------------------------------------------------------- ARCO777, Could you look at the 20 pin plug for your digital instrument cluster (connects to the square circuit board socket) and tell me if it has numbers and a manufacturer on it somewhere...
  15. T

Digital Dash Swap?

Alternative solution... Hi Nice59FordF100, That seems a reasonable suggestion. I couldn't locate a chime like you described so I designed an alternative solution. All parts came from Radio Shack. A small circuit board, 1 SPST & 1 DPST 12 volt mini relay, 3 general purpose diodes, & 1...
  16. T

Digital Dash Swap?

Another chime solution... ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks for the idea. I cam up with a slightly different mod to silence the chime. I'll use a DPDT 12 volt Relay and a momentary contact push button. Normally the relay will stay...
  17. T

Digital Dash Swap?

Thanks for the kudos Geoph1986. One correction to my post, the signal to the Chime Module comes from the left-hand door jamb switch rather than from the headlight switch as I previously indicated. Goes into the Chime Module via a Red W/Pink Stripe wire on a 93 Ranger. The cover over the LCD...
  18. T

Digital Dash Swap?

Interface Module between DigiCluster & Chime Module Here are 5 pictures of my cluster and the select switch, the LEDs I used, and the Chime-Kill switch I plan on using. https://picasaweb.google.com/112158110244487859513/Desktop#5778390159347362210...
  19. T

Digital Dash Swap?

According to my diagrams pin # 34 is the correct one for Fuel flow on the 94. The 95 Explorer was on a different pin I believe.:D
  20. T

Digital Dash Swap?

Your posts inspired me to go this route as well, I bought a 89 Cougar LS digicluster from eBay & a "donor" mechanical cluster like my 93 Ranger currently has, only with a tach (mine lacks one). Disassembled the donor cluster and found I could use the stock digicluster's mounting/bulb strip...
Back