Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Stock 2002, the drive selections and what about the "brown wire"?

So a mate of mine has a 2002 Explorer with the OHC 4.0. He says the "4wd is not working". I have a 1997 4.0 Explorer (with the common Control Trac Automatic 4WD) that you guys have helped me out with quite a bit. So trying to pay it forward I asked him if he pulled his radio stack if he could...
  2. P

Where are all the used 1st gens?

Totally. In fact, they are beyond that point. It is a given that once a vehicle hits the bottom of it's depreciation curve, almost any meaningful repair costs "more than it's worth". That is the point where "what it's worth" becomes more an issue of what it's worth to you, (or if it starts to...
  3. P

Where are all the used 1st gens?

I am told by a buddy of mine who is the service director at a Toyota dealership that Obama's cash for clunkers program took a heavy toll on the first and second gens. His Toyota dealership, in a relatively small town, destroyed at least a dozen. And that was just his Toyota dealership and does...
  4. P

Anyone still driving 2nd gens?

Hey thanks, Dan. Will do. :thumbsup: I already took out the radio/center stack and had no luck there...
  5. P

deleted duplicate
  6. P

Got a 1997 SOHC XLT. Was my folks car in Southern Cal until we inherited it back in '09 or so. So it spent most of it's time just driving around in a warm dry climate, getting sucky gas mileage, with it's sucky trucky handling, with no snow to show it's mad skills in. That all changed about four...
  7. P

Solved 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD Modified (Torque Monster headers, etc)

does it have cats and full smog gear? I think I have to have that stuff in Denver, CO... unless there's a way around it... but I'm new to CO so I don't know
  8. P

2001 harder to start when cooler/cold

Yeppers. That's the plan. This morning, 21degF and cloudy at about 0900, it wouldn't start no matter how many times I primed it. Then about 11:30 the sun had come out and it was about 28degF and it started right up. First crank. :/ -Peter
  9. P

2001 harder to start when cooler/cold

mine is completely temp related. the longer it sits during the winter (Denver) the harder it is to start. priming (cycling the key on/off) helps if it's not too cold. but if it's been at or near freezing all day and still freezing the next morning, even priming the doesn't work. complete...
  10. P

New recall on 4.0 SOHC Engine

A plan is coming together guys, thanks. Pre oiler (size A) and new tensioners. If I don't have any rattling (152k original miles), then can I assume I've dodged a bullet re motor longevity? -Peter
  11. P

Notwithstanding the fact that not all recalls time out, did I say anything, anything at all to indicate that I didn't know this thread is 20 years old? What I was asking about had nothing to do with the TSB. It was the guy who suggested this: Is this ^^^ really a minimum $2000 job like...
  12. P

I don't think I have any rattling. So I think I'm going to get a pre oiler. I followed the link you provided, to the pre oiler you installed. Which size tank did you get? A,C,D,E? -Peter
  13. P

Somebody in another thread says this is a minimum $2000 job requiring the pulling of the engine and transmission. If he's right, that sounds like a lot for every 60-70k maintenance
  14. P

Is this OLD recall still live? I don't think we've had it done yet.
  15. P

Why?

Got it. That answers my question. Now another... are there any reliable reman crate motors out there in this 4.0 sohc form factor? Is there a pre Oiler kit that is specifically well suited to this motor?
  16. P

Why?

Got it. That answers my question. Now another... are there any reliable reman crate motors out there in this 4.0 sohc form factor?
  17. P

Why?

I will search. But I wasn’t asking about shop rates. I was asking about how many hours those “job estimator” programs that pro mechanics have, would estimate for the job. -Peter
  18. P

Why?

How big a job in terms of hours of labor would a professional bill for the job if he was using his labor estimating guide? tell me more about the pre oiler? I have an accusump on my road race car but that’s on a G switch for long hard corners... somehow that doesn’t sound like what is needed...
  19. P

Why?

how feasible is the timing chain replacement if you do it before it fails? I have 152K on my SOHC v6 and it's running like a top. hate to lose it just because the timing chain went out.
  20. P

97 automatic 4WD...Can I use the rear diff in the front?

Yep. Torsen was and stil is my plan. I want to see how this winter goes with two opens... Drive, play, experiment, learn. Snow is new to me. But I fully understand why I want a Torsen. I will start with one of those next winter. Any reason come Torsen time, _not_ to go with an Eaton TrueTrac...
  21. P

Thanks for both posts. Since we're still pretty new to having winters, (from CA) and now that the 4wd is working, It's axle code D4 which I think is 3.73LSD. I'll go under the assumption that I have opens front and rear (because even hough it's LSD the clutches are surely toast anyway), and see...
  22. P

Does this mean all the Gen2 explorers have limited slip rears from the factory? My rear diff is fine. It’s just that I thought something better than an open would be better in the snow. -Peter
  23. P

1997 XLT 4.0l SOHC, automatic 4WD My gear shop says the front diff is making noise. They aren't too worried since 4WD is so rarely used. But I'm hatching an idea. Hear me out... This car has open diffs front and rear. So is there any reason I can't have them put the rear diff up front and then...
  24. P

Replacement GEM module 1997 AWD 4.0L SOHC?

OK. WHEW!!! TL;DR This whole sordid drama is now over. 4WD is back and working a treat. The longer version: So, back when this thread started, the 1997 Explorer XLT with automatic 4WD transfer case completely failed, which causes all drive to be lost, front and rear. They rebuilt the TC and...
Back