Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Ranger: Odd Thump Occasionally at Idle or After Shutdown

Promising Results After replacing the heater core, burping, and testing, the issue seems to have been fixed. Still find it odd how the heater core was the issue, but with as bad as the cooling system was, I'm not exactly surprised. The results are good, fluctuation is much better. Still a...
  2. A

I'm with you, but since someone else said they had good heat and a replacement fixed the problem, I thought $25 was a reasonable price to give it a try.
  3. A

My apologies for not bringing this up earlier, so let me take a moment and summarize what has been replaced. Before the truck was getting worked over at the shop, I replaced the thermostat. It had been stuck open for years, meaning that the vehicle never warmed up. First heat up after...
  4. A

10/6/14 Update Hoses and radiator were replaced this summer and the system was burped. The gauge still fluctuates and the thump will come back very occasionally. I have done some research and found this forum thread...
  5. A

Yet another update Just wanted to post back again in case anyone else has this issue. I have replaced the temperature sensor now and the system is still fluctuating. At this point, I think when summer rolls around I will throw in a new radiator and hoses. Until then, it works and the heat from...
  6. A

Another Update Replaced the Stant with the OE Motorcraft thermostat and seal today, burped the system, and unfortunately the fluctuation still exists. Next up is a replacement of the hoses because they are cheap. Possibly also new temperature sensors because they too are cheap. After that...
  7. A

Another Update Well here in Colorado, the average temperature has been about 10 all week and the thump has returned, only towards the end of the week and it isn't so bad. The gauge still fluctuates as well. The truck still provides good heat and runs well. Apparently the garage replaced the...
  8. A

4 Codes and Poor Idle 2002 4.6L

Problem Fixed Got the new MAF installed and no dice. Took off the decorative engine cover and sure enough, there was a hole in one of the vacuum line elbows. The issue was the same one detailed by SyberTiger here. Luckily I was able to take the MAF back and receive a refund! Thanks again!
  9. A

Thanks for the suggestion! Ran the car today and it was great, until it came up to operating temperature and immediately started to run poorly. Shut off the car, disconnected the maf and restarted (forcing into safe mode) and it ran like a dream even after letting it run for 10+ minutes. Will...
  10. A

Hi all, I've got a 2002 Explorer 4.6L that has been acting up as of late. The other day, the car threw four codes (P0171, P0174, P1130, P1131). After a bit of research I replaced the fuel filter (what a joy), cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner, and added a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner to...
  11. A

Update Just wanted to come back after some work had been done to the truck and post what is going in case this information is of use to anyone else viewing. The Ranger was in the garage for a new rear main engine seal and some other various things. They flushed the coolant system and...
  12. A

Thank you! I did recently (less than a month ago) replace the thermostat with a Stant , but the cooling system was neglected for years. Next up is the flush for sure. I will post back here with any results. Thank you very much for the helpful information!:salute:
  13. A

New Cap--Not resolved New radiator cap did not resolve the issue. Gauge still fluctuates and the sound still occurs when it is very cold out. This summer I will do a complete flush of the system and if it persists the water pump will be replaced. My next move will be a new temperature sensor to...
  14. A

Thanks, just one last question. Looks like I will do a radiator cap first due to miniscule price...then on to the water pump. Thanks for the reply! One last question. I get the hint that the pump is what I need to replace but the TSB didn't include the '91. Should I still focus on the...
  15. A

We have a 1991 Ford Ranger with the 4.0L v6. It never warmed up and I finally pulled the thermostat to find it stuck open. After replacement, the engine warms up great and the heater puts out heat for the first time in years. The dash gauge for coolant temp gets into the normal and then...
  16. A

IAC Problem: How many RPM's does your vehicle IDLE at?

I have never heard a more perfect name for the dealership...all of my car buddies will be hearing that one!:)
  17. A

Rough Idle Fix I just wanted to give a quick update for my previous post. I ended up buying and installing the motorcraft IAC for my make and model. The vehicle now idles like new! The only advice I would give is try cleaning your EGR port as suggest by SyberTiger because the IAC is about...
  18. A

Rough idle and "Check Engine Soon" light - FIXED

Fixed Rough Idle I just wanted to give a quick update for my previous post. I ended up buying and installing the motorcraft IAC for my make and model. The vehicle now idles like new! The only advice I would give is try cleaning your EGR port as suggest by SyberTiger because the IAC is about...
  19. A

Wouldn't come off easily for me when I was perusing your fix so I stopped as well. It would be just my luck for it to come off and mess something else up haha. Also, new rubber elbow tomorrow and going to clean the EGR valve...if not fixed, time to break out the cash and get the Motorcraft IAC!
  20. A

Yeah, that was the vibe I was getting... Rather fix it right the first time I buy it!
  21. A

Sounds good, I was just trying to hold off the $75 purchase as long as possible. I'll report back with my findings. Thanks!
  22. A

Rough Idle Coming Back Unfortunately I must report that the problem is returning... It has run great for a while now and tonight the issue is slowly starting to return. I remember reading somewhere else that someone simply did the battery reset and the issue was fixed for a few days as...
  23. A

Fixed SyberTiger's solution was a fix for me. Thanks again!
  24. A

Rough Idle 4.6L V8 SOLVED Just wanted to extend a big thank you to SyberTiger and this forum. The issue has been resolved. The EGR port was quite fowled and I used the recommended vacuum and throttle body cleaner method suggested by SyberTiger. As a helpful hint, a 7/11 Slurpee metal straw...
  25. A

Thank you so much for your help! I will work on the car tonight and get back to you as soon as I have made progress!
Back