Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

RDS display is lazy!

OK, so I've gone and bought myself an Escape. (I still have my Explorer, so I'm still in the club ;) ). The Escape radio has the RDS display on it, but it seems to be not working right. When you first tune to a station, the info comes up and scrolls like its supposed to for maybe 5 - 10...
  2. B

Changing power steering return line???

2001 XLT SOHC I've got a bad leak in the return line for the power steering, just before the cooler. I was able to get a new line (the fitted pipe with the rubber end attached) but I don't see any way to get the pipe disconnected from the rack. I have a set of crow-foot wrenches (or...
  3. B

Help me diagnose bad noises in front end

I'm looking through my Haynes manual, and it says that the ball joints aren't replaceable (neither upper or lower). What's that about? It also says that you can't use a torch on it, probably why they tell you you can't do it. I know I needed to use heat when I changed the joints on my last...
  4. B

Thank you for the info, that will certainly get me started.
  5. B

I got under there today and I still can't find whats wrong. Both wheels feel secure, no wobbling in any direction. The steering feels tight as well. I don't see anything hanging or broken. Any idea what I'm missing here?
  6. B

The front end on my 01 XLT is getting REALLY noisy -- I've got to get under there and figure out what's going on. When driving on any un-even surface (even slightly worn roads) I get this constant knocking sound. To me it sounds like maybe my shocks aren't bolted on tight enough. I tried to...
  7. B

Help! My X's Steering Column is smoking

Holy crap, that same thing happened to me this morning on the way to work. I thought I was halucinating.
  8. B

15-35% mileage increase

This is an interresting topic, and something that's difficult to just write off. Every time gas prices go up we see new ideas about saving gas, but the thing that's different about this one is that nobody seems to be selling anything. The general idea is to get some Acetone from the hardware...
  9. B

noise at idle?

My 01 does the exact same thing. It sounds terrible. I haven't been able to get under there and check it out yet.
  10. B

Embarrassed by bumpy, noisy ride

I'm just hitting 60K. The shocks weren't really that bad when I got it, but the truck rode really hard. After looking through the forums, it sounded like the Monroe's at Sears were a good deal for the $$. They did help the ride a little, but didn't make a huge difference. The only reason I...
  11. B

You're entitled to rant if you want to, but you really need to read the whole thread before you start. Like I said in a previous post, the things that I took apart to lessen the noise are silent now -- the rattles are not coming from anything I've done. There are at least 100 people on this...
  12. B

My anti-rattle work consisted of: Pulling all door panels off, spraying metal with rubber undercoating. Then lining doors with pipe insulation (poor man's Dynomat). Re-attached door panels using new tree clips. The doors are silent now. Also used a combination of spray undercoating and...
  13. B

Rip-off?

You have to be really careful with car warranties -- ask lots of specific questions before you have the dealer do any work. The only time you'll ever take your car in for work and not have to pay anything will be for factory recalls. In this case, you should probably just pay the bill and...
  14. B

Rip-off?

Totally to be expected. The "diagnostic" has become the token rip that dealers use lately. You can take your car in for a new headlight and they'll still charge you $85 for diagnostics. The deductable should be listed in your warranty agreement. If you have the extended warranty, you are...
  15. B

I took a trip this weekend with another couple, and by the time we got back I was ready to trade in my Explorer (01 XLT). I drive this vehicle every day, with the radio loud, and haven't really worried about all of its problems in a while. Taking this trip opened my eyes, and I'm left...
  16. B

Jet engine sound in 1st and 2nd?

It has done it for the 6 months that I have had it. Its definately in the transmission -- the noise stops immediately after the second shift.
  17. B

Jet engine sound in 1st and 2nd?

2001 XLT SOHC When accelerating from a stop, my tranny is making a sound kinda like a jet engine. It makes the sound in 1st and 2nd, then immediately stops after that. I can't really describe it any better, like a whooooooooaaaaaahhhhhhh that gets more intense as the speed increases. Like...
  18. B

check engine light

$0 at Autozone
  19. B

Cold Weather Start Noise

I would consider not putting the supercharger on over Christmas break or any other break. An Explorer with 140K miles is in no shape to be turned into a racecar.
  20. B

easiest way to break in to an ex..?

First would be to use a 'jimmie' or whatever they are calling them now to pull the lock open. Second is to use one of the bent, flat pipes that slide down under the window, then open inside the door to push down on the power lock button. Aside from that, the truly easiest way is to break one...
  21. B

Vibration and loud hum at idle

Yes, it does it regardless of what the climate controls are set to. This thread describes the same problem: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110189&highlight=vibration This might be something that I have to go to the dealer for :mad:
  22. B

OK -- it does do it in Park also. It happens whenever the engine idles down low, like around 600rpm.
  23. B

I don't think it does it in Park -- I would have to check. I thought that it might be a vacuum leak, but I can't find one anywhere. I've even resorted to the Ether trick but no luck. I have already cleaned my IAC, I don't want to replace it unless I have to.
  24. B

2001 XLT SOHC I've got this really annoying sound coming from somewhere in the truck. It happpens when the engine is warm, in Drive, and stopped. It starts out like a slight vibration in the exhaust, but quickly develops a hummmmmmmmmm that is really annyoing. If I rev it up to around...
  25. B

Rear door locked shut!

Open the rear window and look near the latch -- there should be a rectangular plastic piece of plastic that can be pulled off. Inside there you can get to the lock mechanism, and hopefully unlock the door manually. Getting the plastic housing off without opening the door is pretty much...
Back