Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

truck turns over but won't start

hi all, tried to post in the 911 section but for some stupid reason I can't...so I am left to here. My truck turns over but won't start. My mechanic checked the battery - fine - coil pack - fine. Apparently there is supposed to be 12 volts going to the coil pack and I only have 9. What...
  2. T

Help :-(

I was on here before with my noise issue and it sounded like tire noise. Also the thumping in the steering wheel area was found to be play in the tie rods (luckily covered under warranty cuz I just had them done). Anyways, finally took to the Ford Dealership and they diagnosed the rear...
  3. T

help...again

UPDATE hopefully someone sees this....I have left the truck alone to see if the symptoms can be tracked down. Here is what I have as far as the thumping/knocking through steering wheel, I am in addition to this hearing noise (movement) in the front of my truck though not sure where. I feel the...
  4. T

help...again

UPDATE again Hi all, Well I had my backyard mechanic replace the CV axles and he did the left front hub assembly (wheel bearing) and the right front one will be done shortly. I also had him do the front two universal joints (apparently there are four in total?). The tire noise I am...
  5. T

help...again

the tire noise starts after i turn out of my driveway (a right turn) and then I straighten out and i am still hearing it. It continues for about 20 secs and then I don't hear anymore until the next time the truck has sat for a bit. I do also hear a ting sound after I have turned although not a...
  6. T

help...again

The noise that I hear in the morning or after it has been parked a while is a tire whump sound of noise (not like it is flat and making that noise). The noise I heard tonite was when I was going 10 mph straight line, foot not on brake. Muffled and it sounded like a muffled rattle or something...
  7. T

help...again

Update - urgent, help :-( Well this sucks....so I took it to a steering shop and they said power steering pump and rack and pinion needed replacing. I explained the noises in detail to them. They totally disregarded that though. Upside is my steering is great. Downside? I still hear the...
  8. T

help...again

Hey all...well took it to the mechanic and he said he could see nothing wrong with the CV axle/joints....is there anything else it could be? He said he tried to re-create the popping sound but it wouldn't do it when he did it or when I did it. I will say that there seems to be a small bit of...
  9. T

help...again

The humming sound comes when I am driving at a slow rate of speed (around 10 to 20 mph) after the truck has been parked for a bit. THe sound only is heard for a couple of mins and then goes away or at least I don't hear it after that. When leaving the Sonic last Saturday, while I had my...
  10. T

help...again

which symptoms sound like the CV axle...all (including the humming sound) or only the popping noise?
  11. T

help...again

Hi all, I'm back about my 97 ford exp control trac. "Harry" as he is called, has underwent major work this past summer - transfer case, new paint job, a catalytic converter, ball joints upper and lower, tranny service, front and rear differential service, small leak fix, etc. Lately I have...
  12. T

help :-(

Thanks Dan :-) Would damage/excessive wear to the tortion bar key(s) be visible if that is what is causing it? I am going to the mechanic on Monday with my truck and if anyone else out there knows of any other possible things that may be causing this, please let me know and I will pass it...
  13. T

Hi Dan :-) Thanks for the info. The noise in question wasn't there previously. At noon when I pulled my car into the garage I thought I heard some slight noise when I hit the gas a bit and I backed up and did it again and heard some slight noise. Would that still be the tortion bar keys?
  14. T

I had posted earlier regarding my truck around May or so. The steering was tight etc. Turned out to be the transfer case. Got that fixed. Now there is another problem. When hitting mottled or uneven road, I will hear a rattling noise on the passenger side in the front underneath. According...
  15. T

Hi all, I've posted before about my truck and I have had a problem finding a relatively inexpensive, kreliable, non-shady, decent, knowledgable private mechanic in the Nashville area. Can anyone direct me and help me out?
  16. T

Hey all...well I took my truck to ford along with what you told me b/c my usual back yard mechanic guy was tied up with flood stuff for his sister. Ford told me the following: My right front brake caliper was seized the Hall Effect Sensor was toast My tranny has dark fluid and will be...
  17. T

Hi JCat :-) Thanks for the reply. I had previously taken it to Firestone and they said they didn't know what was with it either and suggested I take it to the dealership :-( Can you tell me a parts place where I could get the pump and axles if needed? Thanks so much again :-)
  18. T

I have a 97 Ford Explorer XLT Auto 4X4. Problem started when I was driving and at times would feel a knocking in my steering wheel. Took it to Ford and they said whole front end good. So, the past while here is what other symptoms I have noticed: - noise when I turn right sometimes (this...
  19. T

noticing a bit of pull or small clunk; tranny?

My explorer is a 6 cyl. and it is auto 4X4....other than that I don't know much else about it.
  20. T

noticing a bit of pull or small clunk; tranny?

Hi all, I have a 97 Ford Explorer XLT and I notice lately as I am decelerating and accelerating I will feel a small pull and a clunk. I figure maybe the tranny fluid may need topping up. Does anyone else know what it may be? Thanks much, S.
Back