Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

choice: repair 1999 V6 ~165K loose timing chain vs buy used 2000 XLS at ~175K miles

I was just asking whether it was worth trying to go ahead and fix the thermostat... in the summer, has to drive with the heat on to make sure the engine stays cool. It's not being driven a lot. My mother keeps buying little decorative knickknacks for the truck and was talking about getting a...
  2. I

choice: repair 1999 V6 ~165K loose timing chain vs buy used 2000 XLS at ~175K miles

The Eddie Bauer is now owned by my mother. I ended up with a 2012 Ford Fiesta. Her 2002 Explorer died; as I was out of town, I couldn't help her deal with the situation, and all I heard about it was the vague description 'engine seized'. So it got donated to the veterans I think. She got...
  3. I

This is interesting, the 1997 Mercury Mountaineer I mentioned before is now reduced to $1200. I am very tempted ... What top #3 questions should I ask? I suppose mileage would be one if it is not around 300k already and is less.... it's described as well maintained with a number of updates. I...
  4. I

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm relocating soon and the SUV is decent for moving stuff around and hasn't been a bad vehicle. Honda Civic is frequently recommended alternative. Cheap ones don't seem to be easily findable. Seems like minimum $3k even for mid-nineties. I see at moment craigslist...
  5. I

Thanks, I'm reconsidering. Blue book value on mine seems to be about $1200 - $1600, it is really banged up. Anyway, my local shop normally provides good estimates. Rattle may have become more pronounced after oil change last week; used 5w30. Shop didn't think changing oil again right now would...
  6. I

(reposted from my new members post with more info since then) Hi all, I've read for advice on this website many times for guidance on issues with my truck. So I'm asking for advice on my scenario: I have a 1999 V6 Eddie Bauer ~165K miles been driving about 5-6 years. I'm not a proficient...
  7. I

1999 V6 Eddie Bauer ~165K loose timing chain vs used 2000 XLS at ~175K miles

Hi all, I've read for advice on this website many times for guidance on issues with my truck. So I'm asking for advice on my scenario: I have a 1999 V6 Eddie Bauer ~165K miles been driving about 5-6 years. I'm not a proficient mechanic. It has a loose timing chain. Estimate is $1500 to...
Back