Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Rear Hatch Handle Rod Clip

Oh wow! I spent hours making a replacement for that yellow clip! It was kind of fun doing it, but for $5, I can sacrifice some fun! Anyway, this video will at least show you how to replace the new part if you get one.
  2. A

How to: 2000 Explorer Limited: liftgate handle won't open

My handle/latch quit working on my 2000 Explorer Limited. When you pull it, it just moves freely without any noise. Obviously something became disconnected. Turns out a $0.50 plastic piece broke. Here's a video that shows how it works, shows a crude DIY solution to the plastic part...
  3. A

2006 tailgate liftgate won't open

My handle/latch quit working on my 2000 Explorer Limited. Dug inside it and fixed it. Here's a video that shows how it works and shows how to improvise a string to pull so you can open the liftgate.
  4. A

Running Rough - 2k Limited 5.0L V8, 143k miles

The coils are so easy to replace on this model, I took a chance - whew! Glad I didn't have to spend tons of time tracking it down! :D
  5. A

Replaced ignition coils and that fixed it!
  6. A

Here's a 30 sec video. Runs very rough and smells bad. The only diagnosing I've done is looked at some data using DashCommand. No CEL and no codes. It is showing some misfires. Post-cat O2 voltages are both near zero. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  7. A

2k Explorer Limited rear door lock/unlock issues

2k Ford Explorer Limited. 142k miles. Video shows how the door latch mechanism attaches to the interior and exterior door handles, lock, and lock actuator. The original problem was the door would not unlock automatically and was even hard to lock/unlock manually. The door actuator was...
  8. A

Heater air only luke warm (?)

Same '00 Limited, 130k-ish miles. But, air not luke warm - just cold (seems same as outside). No fluid leaks. Blowing fine on the floor. I will keep searching, but if anyone can point me to a good thread/video on changing the thermostat, I would appreciate it. I have not monitored engine temp...
  9. A

New Fuel Pump

Can't recall what brand I got - probably duralast from autozone, but it has been working fine. The biggest mistake I made was not emptying the fuel tank as an early step in the process. Spilled maybe 5 gallons of gas and scared the daylights out of me.
  10. A

What is this noise?

I replaced the differential fluid, including the additive and in a few miles of driving the noise is still there. I'll drive it a bit more and see if I get lucky.
  11. A

911 emergency

If you did the motor swap, you probably know more than me!
  12. A

99 explorer won't start

I have a 2000 Explorer and the fuel pump died a while back. Listening for the sound is good but it may need to be very quiet wherever you are doing that. You can also locate the fuel rail on top of the engine and press the valve after cranking to see if any fuel comes out - easy to tell if there...
  13. A

anyone use MAS Industries ball joints?

I had a coupon from Autozone and used what they gave me (did have fittings)...
  14. A

Comfortable shocks

Here's a website where you can enter your VIN and see the recalls: https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
  15. A

Driver error or transmission slipping ?

We could have a whole category on wife stories and I bet it would be quite entertaining. (Disclaimer: I know there are plenty of women that work on cars too and are more qualified than I am, but I am guessing there are a lot more wives with funny stories.)
  16. A

CEL P0455 Gross Evap Leak fixed with new gas cap

Just posting so this info is findable by searching. My 2000 5.0L V8, AWD explorer (132k miles) threw a CEL and P0455 code. I had an evap purge solenoid valve go bad on another car so started down that path. One of the valves is just below the battery and appears to be accessible without a huge...
  17. A

Front End

Yikes!
  18. A

Driver error or transmission slipping ?

LOL. The number of times that my wife has told me the car did something funny/strange must outnumber the real problems 50:1. Keep driving it and would love to see a report back! :)
  19. A

What is this noise?

Thank you! I did a little searching and believe you are right. I have a slow drip from the differential, so this all seems to be related. I had been putting off changing the oil, but will do that this weekend and add a friction modifier which some folks also recommended. I have no experience...
  20. A

What is this noise?

2000 5.0 V8, AWD, 132k miles. Started suddenly the other day. Coming from the rear only when turning somewhat sharply and accelerating.
  21. A

*Should* Replace Control Arms with Ball Joints?

2k AWD Explorer Upper/Lower control arms replace Agree with HuskerBob...I replaced upper and lower CAs this past weekend. I should have scoured this site first, but didn't. So, the driver's side took me 5+ hours and the passenger side less than half of that once I figured out how to do it...
  22. A

Lower control arm replacement

2k AWD Explorer Upper/Lower control arms replace I just did this last weekend. I'm no expert by any means. Did the driver's side first and learned what *not* to do and made a video of the passenger side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISUI3WmQHA I need a massive alignment after that...
  23. A

Cranks, won't start (sometimes)

After doing it, I agree Koda's steps seem good. I'm interested to hear how just installing the pump goes. Drove mine into the office today - seems good...
  24. A

Cranks, won't start (sometimes)

I did the whole assembly. I have not done trouble-shooting on the old one, but hope to do that today while it's on my mind. The instructions for doing less than the whole assy made my eyes glaze over :) - lots of steps and stuff to figure out. The instructions for just slapping in the whole...
  25. A

Hood Prop - Tired Of Struts Failing

Hockey I have a short hockey stick I keep in the back to hold the hood up. Just happened across this thread and am motivated to go to Amazon and try some new ones. Intuition tells me it may be a bad design - the struts just look too short to get much leverage and the hood is heavy.
Back