Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Which Headlight HID Kit???

So I got the kit today, after a kind neighbor brought it by early morning from a different building. Great job USPS for delivering it to the wrong address! :mad: Now I'm curious how Brandon mounted the ballasts for you. Are they out of the way or mounted in plain sight? Would appreciate some...
  2. K

Stay safe! No snow yet down here in NYC, but a nice amount at our property in Callicoon, NY.
  3. K

Thank you sir! That looks very good. Diode Dynamics just launched their Black Friday sale so I'll definitely be picking up the kit and trying it out. I appreciate you taking the time to take the pics. :)
  4. K

Looking forward to seeing them. :)
  5. K

My 2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost Mods

Haha, so I guess that must be a universal issue regardless of kit. With the Morimoto kit, for whatever reason, the left projector was throwing the beam out so far to the left that is was just blinding oncoming drivers. Aiming the headlight lower had no effect. On a highway with 2 lanes going...
  6. K

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

Would you be able to share a picture of your beam and cutoff with the kit? Very curious to see how the Diode Dynamics kit is fairing for anyone and everyone who is currently using it. Thanks!
  7. K

Huh, interesting. I had the TRS Morimoto kit in for a while and then went to take it out. Found the bulbs to be 'melted' into the housings, but not actually melted. It just took an absolutely unbelievable amount of force and an assortment of hand tools to twist the bulbs out of there. That was a...
  8. K

Hey! Just wondering whether you could perhaps share some pictures of your Diode Dynamics kit? Most interested in the cutoff. Had a bad experience with the Morimoto kit from The Retrofit Source in my '15 Sport, so I'm looking into Diode Dynamics and hearing mostly great things. Would love to...
  9. K

2015 Black Sport Mods

So... over 2 years later, how are you liking the Morimoto kit? :D I had it on my '15 Explorer Sport and one day thought to take it out. I had to pry out the bulbs using an assortment of hand tools. It was as if they melted themselves into the housings -- it took an unbelievable amount of force...
  10. K

That's awesome! Car looks to be in great shape and looks very cool with the mods. Definitely seems like a fun project! How is the Diode Dynamics kit? Any issues with weird beam cutoff or glare? Thinking of getting it for my '15 Sport. :)
  11. K

'15 Explorer Halogen Projector Beam

To be honest with you, I don't think the stock lights are as terrible as people make them out to be. Yes, they're not perfect, but they're decent. My Explorer (and I presume every other halogen Explorer) came from the factory with Sylvania Xtravision bulbs, recognizable by the purple writing on...
  12. K

Thank you! Looks like the beam is very similar, if not identical, to the one on my Explorer. What appeared strange to me was the flare offs to the side where the light beam increases in gradient. But evidently that is normal. Thank you for sharing your picture - I appreciate it. :)
  13. K

I will when I have an opportunity to take one that is of good quality. Living in the city, there aren't many places to check your headlight beam and the last time I went upstate I didn't have a means of taking a picture with me. But as soon as I do, I will definitely share for comparison. In the...
  14. K

Hello all - Hope everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving. I have a favor to ask of any Explorer owners (2015 preferably, but 2011-2015 shouldn't make a difference) with the stock halogen projectors to share pictures of their beam patterns. I've been noticing on walls, garages and other flat surfaces...
  15. K

My Sport with HID 8000K's

Hi guys. Long time no posts. Sorry to dig up an aging thread :). I finally decided to take the plunge after months of internal debate and I purchased the Morimoto 9005 HID kit from The Retrofit Source. The kit looks great and the bulbs seemed to very strangely be at operating color and...
  16. K

Time for tires

Now that I've got just over 5,000 miles on my Explorer, I think I can offer some input. Having picked up the car in November, I decided to keep the regular Hankook tires on it. New York wasn't really hit with snow through December and January, but it made a frequent appearance through February...
  17. K

I've read that quite a few people take out their kits every time they visit the dealership. Taking it out between oil changes doesn't sound like much of a hassle, but if I installed it and got it working perfectly, I'd prefer to leave the kit in there. My service advisor already knows I'm...
  18. K

Alright guys, I think I'm going to take the plunge and try out a HID kit. I'll see how it works and looks, and if it's not for me, I'll cry over the $150 I wasted. I plan on going for the Morimoto Elite kit. From all of my research, this kit is the highest quality one I've seen...
  19. K

That's a fantastic point. Definitely something to remember. Thank you, Peter!
  20. K

While searching, I also found some high quality 9005 LED bulbs. They are "plug and play", meaning they're identical to whatever halogen bulb you'd put in your Explorer - except they're LED. Is this a good solution to only replacing the bulbs rather than going for HID? The bulb is 5500K, so it...
  21. K

Thanks, Tony. Those Morimoto Elite HID kits you linked look the best out of all I've seen to this point. I've sent them an email with a couple of additional questions.
  22. K

I'll definitely look into the Phillips HID kits. As for the PIAA Xtreme White bulbs, although they're pricey at around $90, I think they're fantastic. In the daytime you won't see much of a color difference, but once the sun sets there is a huge differentiation. The stock bulbs are much...
  23. K

Thanks for the link. The initial images on that site show a terribly weak light output. Were the bulbs getting old? It's hard to believe that the Limited's HIDs would be so weak. As for the conversion, how has it held up?
  24. K

Hey Tony, Since you have experience with HID kits on your Sport, can I ask a couple of questions? - Did you have to/choose to use a relay harness? - Does your HID kit work with the AUTO headlamps, or have you had issues? Thanks, Kevin
  25. K

Yeah, after I spoke with my service advisor I looked into this for myself and did learn that the reflector, or I think it's correctly called the "projector", is different. I'm not willing to shell out $4k on an original HID system, but I'm also reluctant to get an aftermarket HID kit. So I'm...
Back