Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Theft light flashing.

Well, maybe I've just ignored the theft light so well that I forgot about it. I just looked at my '99 F150 and its Theft light is flashing. The Explorer is not a daily driver. I drive it more for out of town trips, and winter time driving. I guess I'll quit worrying about it, thanks all.
  2. F

Theft light flashing.

I've owned it 20 years, and it wasn't that way. It just started doing it. Is that normal, to all of a sudden change -- maybe as it gets older, like me. ??
  3. F

Theft light flashing.

Hello, my 02 is running fine, but now my theft light flashes on the cluster. It's not rapid flashing, and it goes away when I start the vehicle. When I turn off the engine and remove the key, the light appears, and it flashes, and flashes. The light used to stay off until I pushed the lock...
  4. F

03 Explorer Eddie Bower Grinding under full turn

When my ABS light went on, I checked for codes, and got the wheel sensor code for the left front. Since my wheel bearing was also doing a little 'singing', I replaced the whole hub assembly. "Singing" disappeared, and the ABS light went out. I have no idea about the other code.
  5. F

key fob randomly stops working

Key Fobs are cheap enough from the net, and easy enough to reprogram, get two or three.
  6. F

Rear vibrate and creaking noise @ braking

Nice looking vehicle. The rear noise might be loose parking brake pads that have broken loose, like when someone drives the car with the parking brake applied. The front noise could be ball joints, shocks, or springs. These vehicles are known for going through wheel bearings, but it doesn't...
  7. F

Rear Glass Hatch Not opening 2002 Explorer XLT

I can't be much help to you since I haven't had that issue yet -- but, I do have a rattling noise, and it's the plastic interior cover at the bottom of the window. Maybe tape it down and see if that's the problem. It's still held on by the metal clips, but I guess they get a little weak. Or...
  8. F

Back up camera lines are always curved...

fyi, your original question was asking about a 2004 Ex sport.
  9. F

2002 Explorer V8 spark plug obstruction by intake manifold

I have an early model 2002 and did not have any issues changing the plugs. Definitely did not have to remove the manifold. It has been awhile, so I can't remember exactly what I did.
  10. F

02’mountaineer mode control actuator location

Sorry I can't directly help you as I've had few issues in that department. But if you remove the glove box, it's pretty easy to see inside the area behind the dash. You can manipulate the controls and see what happens. At least, it's easy on the Explorer, I should add. I'm not sure about...
  11. F

loose door latches or bad switches?

The door ajar switches are located in each door. You have to remove the panel of the door and look inside (have the window up). Look for the wires to the switch. If I remember right, some of the glass track has to be loosened to get to the switch. They aren't that hard to do, but if I...
  12. F

Considering an 02 Explorer

I own an early model 2002, 4.6L. 4 X 4. It has 154k miles, bought it with about 26k on it back in 2004. The tranny has never been touched or serviced. The number is 5R55W. I change the engine oil every 5k miles. The biggest issues I've had is with wheel bearings. There has been a minor...
  13. F

Just paid $456 for a trans service

I've priced out a trans service on my vehicle -- they pretty consistently come in around $400. At least, that was about 18 months ago. With inflation and higher prices, it's bound to be more expensive. That's the dealers price and independents. Signed, small town Northern California.
  14. F

2004 Ford Explorer not starting - PATS system?

Do you have ForScan and a connector -- It's a way to read the computer. My PATS on my '99 F150 went bad and it showed up. And I only know the basics of using it. It's a free system for basic use. Forscan.org.
  15. F

Whining/winding noise that comes & goes from rear wheels. When it's audible, happens w/every revolution of rear wheels. HELP!

I had a whining noise from my right rear of the vehicle. The wheel had no play in it. I just kept driving it though, since I wasn't sure what it was. It had the factory bearings in it still. Then one day on the freeway, I heard a pop, so I pulled over and grabbed the top of the tire. It had...
  16. F

ABS/AdvanceTrac Problem

You don't say who installed them, or where the parts came from. But sounds like you have typical bearing issues. Did they torque them properly? Defective parts, or installer?
  17. F

Vibrating right cat... exhaust hanger?

Have you checked the heat shield around the transfer case. Mine rattled a lot when the tabs broke.
  18. F

Anyone here that can run OASIS 2003 Ford Explorer?

According to the maintenance schedule on my Explorer, it calls for a fluid and filter change at 150k miles, nothing before that -- also change transfer case fluid.
  19. F

Wouldn't you use the same cam hold down tool for 2005 4.6 2v as a 2002?

I know when I've bought some parts, the catalog asks if it's an early build. Someone more experienced than me should chime in. The only difference I notice is that my oil fill hole is on the drivers side of the engine -- whereas other 4.6L's, such as your vehicle, seem to be on the passenger...
  20. F

Wouldn't you use the same cam hold down tool for 2005 4.6 2v as a 2002?

I really don't know the answer since I haven't had to get into those repairs yet on my vehicle. But I will point out that the 2002 Explorer comes in "Early 2002" models, which I have. There are differences from the early and the later models. They're not major, but maybe that is why the 2002...
  21. F

Transfer Case fluid replace

Transfer case fluid is Mercon V -- and the literature says nothing about using it in transfer cases. The literature does say not to use V where LV is recommended. https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/home/our-products/chemicals-and-lubricants/transmission-fluid/transfer-case-fluids.html Mercon...
  22. F

This is what I'm finding on the net. Speaking of "Transfer Case Fluid". And this is why I think the owners manual is outdated. And same with the Haynes manual. BUT, even the net site may be outdated. I'm assuming the Mercon LV is the right oil for the transfer case? "Ford has replaced it...
  23. F

From what I've read, the AWD gets treated differently than the 4wd -- meaning it uses a different product. I think it's due to clutches in the AWD (I don't know, I've never worked on one). And I am aware of not over tightening the bolts.
  24. F

Hello, I'm wondering what is the proper fluid to drain and replace the transfer case fluid. It still has the factory fluid. But there seems to be controversy over what to use. The owners manual says Mercon ATF -- Some say use Mercon LV -- some say to use Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid. The...
Back