Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

The everything Aviator thread.

Well, my wife's 04 Aviator just took a major dump and we're going to sell as-is instead of fix it. It needs front end galore: ball joints, hubs, transfer case. Anyone have any idea what I should list it for on Craigslist? We bought it a few years back for 5K. Pick and pull is a whopping...
  2. F

Well, compression was good and coils all checked out, so on to the minor stuff on the list! First, I have the issue where neither climate controlled seat works. The level dial lights up, but the heat cool switch doesn't. In reading the service manual the only thing i can find is that maybe...
  3. F

Now, time for my next question: I want to have the engine checked out to see if it's in good condition for the long haul. From what I've read I'll want to have the compression tested and then have them check the COP's. Is that right? Is that all I should have checked? Thanks!
  4. F

Here's a quick write-up of how to change the Flasher relay on a 2004 Avi: First, move the pedals all the way forward and the seat all the way back. There is no comfortable way to work in here! Also, move the steering wheel up. Then, remove the negative cable from the vehicle's battery...
  5. F

Next issue: the dreaded turn signal blink of death. I've randomly had the turn signals act up where they'll blink twice and stop. Then they'll work for a day, then back to blinking once or twice and stopping. I've seen this question on the internet a LOT, but no definitive solution. Well, I...
  6. F

I finally figured out my long-standing overheating problem and though I'm going to feel like a moron sharing with you guys, I figured I post it here in case anyone else ends up with the same issue. I was topping off the coolant every once in a while and I noticed one day that the coolant I was...
  7. F

Thanks for the link by the way!
  8. F

Click Fan, it could be. Becasue I had that trouble before (air in the system) I bought an Airlift II coolant fill kit, which pulls a vaccuum on the system and then sucks the coolant in while there is no air in the system. I did that multiple times, but when I had my mechanic look it over, he...
  9. F

And just to be clear, the AVI is super nice. It has a lot of get-up, drives great, and is very well appointed. Maybe I'm just paranoid because of the issues Ive seen, but it's a gamble on what'll happen with that particular engine and tranny. Also, I thought there would be more commonalities...
  10. F

We test drove am 06 Mountaineer Premier and it was very loaded. A little out of our price range at the time though. They made big model changes on the Mountaineers in 06 and in my opinion they are nicer than the 05's. Just keep an eye open for body rust around the rear wheel wells and the...
  11. F

I'd second that advice. We've had so many probs with the Avi after owing it less than a year I'm not sure we'll keep it. If I had it to do over, I'd go Explorer Limited or Mountaineer Premier. Right now I have the weird cooling system problem, the chrome rim air leak problem, the broken CD...
  12. F

In follow up to my last post about the NAV radio/CD, I sent it in to a guy who does service on ebay. GREAT GUY. If you have an issue with your head unit - he's the man. He got it working again for me. The light on the shifter still blinks all the time, but tranny is smooth, so I haven't...
  13. F

PreRunning, let me know if it IS a vacuum leak, mine has a rough idle as well. Not horrible, but everything vibrates a little bit.
  14. F

One more quick question: The nav radio for the LS looks identical to the aviator's. Does anyone know if it's a direct swap?
  15. F

Hi guys; just bought an 04 Aviator for my wife and am tackling some of the issues it has. First a couple questions for those of you with Aviators: - Ours has the HID headlights. I see it has fuses for daytime running lights, but ours doesn't seem to have DRL on. Which lights are supposed to...
Back