Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Doors Continuously Locking...?

Well I didn't get a chance to look at it unfortunately. She had to leave for school so I'll have to look at it next time. My first thought was that it started due to the weak battery but it continued after jumping the truck and running mine with the cables still attached. I didn't have a...
  2. B

Hmm, I'll poke around in there if I get a chance in the morning. Thanks!
  3. B

I unplugged the module earlier (both connectors) and they kept locking. I plugged them back in and set the arm off. Lol I ended up pulling a 30 amp fuse disabling the windows, doors and seats temporarily. None of the relays in the manual were for locks only, at least that I could tell. I have...
  4. B

Help me out with a friends 96 explorer if you could! I came over last night and heard the doors locking over and over, about once per second. When my friend tried to leave this morning the battery was dead. Knowing that the battery was already weak, I though maybe a dying battery set...
  5. B

4.0 l

Cold air intakes aren't going to do much if anything, aside from make noise. The factory intake works well and pulls cold air. Best bang for the buck in my opinion is a tuner, running a high octane tune. It will not only make more power, but improve shifting as well. On my Sport Trac I had an...
  6. B

02 Sport Trac. I'm thinking of putting a 5.0L or a 4.6L in it, and I need help.

Definitely go with a 5.0L. The 4.6L is huge and is going to be a big project to fit it. Find a late model Explorer (later of the 95-01 models) with a 5.0L. Swap in the engine, transmission, ECU, etc. Actually the AWD transfer case would be a good idea with that is well, since there is no way you...
  7. B

Will I need wheel spacers for these wheels on my ST?

Those wheels will work just fine. I ran 15x8s with 3.75" backspacing and 33x12.50s.
  8. B

possible buyer...

The transmission flare and timing chain rattles are definitely the most common problems. Ball joints and front wheel bearings tend to wear out fairly quickly. Replacement isn't difficult but it something to look at when searching for a truck. Make sure the heater and a/c works on all settings...
  9. B

New Rear end

I can hardly understand what you are saying without proper punctuation. It sounds like you swapped in an axle with drum brakes? If so the axle is either a 31 spline from a 95 or older explorer, or likely a 28 spline from a ranger. If you got rear discs from a ranger than they are an aftermarket...
  10. B

Rear locker opinion poll

Interesting. I don't know if it is worth doing or not. But mine did that occasionally when the tolerances were too wide. It happened more and more until it wore the teeth down a little, and would occasionally completely freewheel when I punched the gas. I would be cruising down the free way and...
  11. B

Rear locker opinion poll

Hah. See now I loved the aussie in the rear, on icy and snowy roads. Oversteer, yes. Predictable and controllable, absofreakinlutely. After the install of the front aussie, things were a little awkward on snow/ice but it worked.
  12. B

Rear locker opinion poll

If the locker is jumping around like that in a straight line, you probably need to check your tolerances. The aussie in the rear of my sport trac did that, because I first put it together without the side gear shims (wouldn't fit). Because it was out of tolerance, it eventually gave up. Aussie...
  13. B

need a little education about towing w/ sport-trac

Get a bigger transmission cooler before you do anything else. Then buy a scangauge 2 to monitor transmission temps. Get a frame mounted hitch and a good brake controller (prodigy), and some good shocks (such as bilsteins). But I wouldn't want to tow a camper with the sport trac unless it is...
  14. B

front wheel roaring noise at higher speeds

More than likely wheel bearings.
  15. B

cut body ?

Don't crank the torsion bars. When I measured my completely stock 05 sport trac, it only had 3" of down travel from ride height up front. 2" adjustment will only leave 1" of downtravel, causing a very harsh ride and leave the shocks topping out all the time. Trim the body a little bit or body...
  16. B

98 Explorer to 03 Sport trac interchangeable?

Is the 1998 Elplorer a 4.0L OHV or SOHC? Both were available at that time. The entire suspension/drivetrain is pretty much the same. Torsion bars, knuckles, control arms, CV shafts/joints, differential, brakes, etc. Same rear axles (although the explorer has one extra bracket that isn't...
  17. B

sport tracn

What gears does your current differential have in it? What size tires? My 05 sport trac with stock 30" tires came with 4.10 gears and it worked very well. Lower gears (higher numerically) will get you better acceleration, better hill climbing. The top speed will not change since the computer is...
  18. B

Ranger 3" body lift on my Sport trac

I don't think saving a few bucks is worth the hassle at all. Just buy the sport trac kit.
  19. B

sport tracn

The 31 spline 8.8 is a great axle. As mentioned it was even in a lot of F150's. Many people buy used 31 spline 8.8 axles as upgrades for rangers and jeeps. The same axle is in 95-01 explorers with disc brakes. Most common with 3.55 and 3.73 gears, and available in many junkyards for $100-300...
  20. B

slam my sport trac pleaseeeeeee

The reason you won't find much is because it is based on a 4x4 suspension. The only "kit" I know of is from explorer express. http://www.explorerexpress.com/-c-24_54.html I believe it is just blocks in the rear, different bolts for the torsion bars, different bump stops and you can get stiffer...
  21. B

did my tt/shackle lift yesterday

I think you made the shackle swap about 10x harder than it needed to be, lol. But it looks better, I would run a 32, or narrow 33 but either way you'll probably need to do some trimming.
  22. B

Shock Replacement

I ran the Bilstein HD's in my ranger and they were a very good ride. On the firm side, but nice and controlled, not too stiff by any means. I got a lot of compliments from friends who rode in it saying how nice it rode with them.
  23. B

New Member Question: 2001 FST 4X4

Mileage is closer to 15-19mpg. The transmission should be alright for a while, but to help keep it healthy it is a good idea to install a bigger transmission cooler. The most common early problem with the tranny is a slip "shift flare" between the 2-3 shift. The sport trac can be pretty...
  24. B

ST rocks side to side a lot

Check the sway bar bushings and end-links. However what you describe is common with the Sport Trac, especially with front/rear sway bars. The front sway bar is very stiff to combat body roll, which makes for a rough ride over uneven surfaces like entering driveways and hitting speed bumps at an...
  25. B

Wheel question

The 98-current Ranger runs the same wheel types as the 95-01 Explorer, and 01-05 Sport Trac. The suspension, wheel/hub etc is the same pretty much. I swapped various different wheels between my 98 Ranger, 97 Explorer and 05 Sport Trac. However not all 15" wheels will clear the front brake...
Back