Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Power Steering problem

I never said I was in love with it, buddy. I just said it was the Ford specification, and I mentioned it because he was probably mixing power steering fluid with Mercon. No need for the attitude.
  2. I

Code 141 & How many O2 sensors in '96 5.0?

I have a 98 5.0 and I have 4 O2 sensors. I believe I have the same exhaust system as you do. Regardless, you should have 2 sensors per cat: one upstream, and one downstream. It may be a stupid question, but you replaced the passenger side, right?
  3. I

Hello Everyone! Could Use Help With My 95 Explorer, Idle Dies When Warm?

No, they aren't hard to replace. It's a lot cheaper to clean them, though. See here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84220 If you have a different engine, it might not look identical, but it will look similar. Also, please be patient when posting. It takes people...
  4. I

Newb Question about Keyless Remote Programming

Run would be the position the key is in when the car is running. If you put it in run but do not start it, you should get all sorts of indicator lights.
  5. I

Question about Front License Plate Bracket

The license plate bracket is $9.76 + shipping on fordpartsonline.com.
  6. I

Power Steering problem

My FMC service manual says all the pumps use Mercon ATF.
  7. I

Power Steering problem

I had a similar problem with mine a while back that just randomly appeared (ok, it sat for all of one week). A fluid flush seemed to fix it, as I haven't had the problem since. It's ATF (mine is, anyway), so it expands when heated, so that might explain why it only happens when your engine...
  8. I

/Bad cat (P0430) and EGR/manifold leak

I have a 98 5.0 (built in 97 with old style exhaust) with 120k that is popping a P0430 code, which is bad cat on bank 2. I'm planning on replacing it, as I have an upcoming emissions inspection I need to pass. However, I'd like to find the source of the problem so I don't lose another cat. On...
  9. I

Engine Code P0430

Wow...those posts were pretty friendly... The code you have is the same code I have. It's basically an inefficient catalytic converter on bank 2 (driver's side). There are really only two practical causes for this code, assuming it's the only code you get. The first, and more expensive, is...
  10. I

E85 Conversion

Oh yea, and I agree diesel is a good way to go. However, until this year, we had some of the worst diesel in the world, which was part of the reason it wasn't too popular in the states. If you look at the pumps now, they're offering a lower sulphur content which should be a nationwide thing in...
  11. I

E85 Conversion

Ok, let me disspell a few myths. E85 isn't widely available, but it is available, and it's cheaper than gas, but only because it's gov't subsidized. I would replace all the fuel delivery components with stainless steel and teflon components. It's not as corrosive as methanol, but over time it...
  12. I

E85 Conversion

Has anyone here tried to convert or successfully converted a pre-02 ex to E85?
  13. I

Power Steering Issue

UPDATE: The studder is speed-dependent. The more force the pump has to apply to the wheels to move them, the more it studders. It's almost non-existent above 10mph.
  14. I

Power Steering Issue

I did that when I flushed it. The pump isn't making any noise (like the typical whine). It's perfect now, except for the weird studder.
  15. I

Power Steering Issue

Original Problem Ok, I've been driving my ex for a while, and when I got my new 45mpg commuter, it sat. I'd drive it once every 1-2 weeks, but on one occasion, I noticed my power steering was acting funny. Over the past months, it has been working at about 20% of it's potential. What I Did...
  16. I

Subwoofer Enclosure

The small one did not. The speaker sticks out a little too much. But, if you carpet the box, it looks decent. The main panel that covers half of the right side of the interior went on ok.
  17. I

Sub Box Plans

If I could've, I would've. I squeezed about as much volume as you can out of that space with MDF without compromising the structure of the box.
  18. I

Sub Box Plans

I believe it was .57 cubic feet, which barely put it over the minimum for sealed enclosures for that sub.
  19. I

Subwoofer Enclosure

Yea, sorry. I don't come here very often. Plans are hosted on a server (and have been for a long time), but I guess I didn't have them linked here. http://www.cuttingedgeracing.com/zach/box/plans.pdf
  20. I

Sub Box Plans

I've been getting a couple requests for the box plans I made a long time ago. I thought I lost them, but apparently they were hiding on one of my webservers. Go here for the plans: http://www.cuttingedgeracing.com/zach/box/plans.pdf
  21. I

Gauge Pod

I got hit with the creativity bug today, so I ran out to home depot, bought the necessary supplies and started building it. An hour and a half later, I've retrofitted it. I took pictures during the process too! There's a problem with one of my mounts though, so I'm going to disassemble it and...
  22. I

Gauge Pod

Well, I ordered the Auto Meter Steering Column pod for 97-up F150s just to see if it works. Turns out, there's almost identical. Only a couple issues. In a couple spots (rear edge, turn signal hole), the shell doesn't match up perfectly, but close enough. The other (and more serious) is...
  23. I

Question to anyone who has installed something in the "pocket" of the hatch

Yea, that's the spot. The only draw back is, when you lower that seat fully, your amp is exposed. So, if you're hauling something that needs the seat down, it can potentially damage your amp. But it works great for me! And sorry, I don't have any pics. :(
  24. I

5/8s or 3/4?

I made a stealth enclosure for my 800w RMS 10" Audiobahn w/ 5/8s, and it worked fine (and sounds great!). I used 1" on the face, but everything else was 5/8s. But, if you can meet the volume requirements with 3/4s, go for it.
  25. I

Ex. Audio Regulars/Moderators

No prob, sberkel. If you need any more schematics, I have all ford/lincoln/mercury, 96-2003, so I can pull them off my DVD. Thanks for volunteering to do the write up, as I have too much to do already. Blee1099, I made this guide a few months ago, and you might want to post/sticky it as...
Back