Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

CANNOT Seal Thermostat Housing on 5.0

With high tack it actually sticks or to the gasket and metal vs most rtv's just sit on the gasket and will peel off. Back in the late 90's not knowing any better I would put rtv around the coolant ports when doing an intake, smh. And they never would seal right until I stopped using it. Now if...
  2. 9

CANNOT Seal Thermostat Housing on 5.0

Stop putting RTV aka GASKET MAKER on gaskets,damn people. it's not a gasket sealer. Make sure the bolt holes are clean and clear and the bolts aren't too long if not OEM. Check housing for cracks and flatness. Pick up some Permatex High Tack gasket sealant (NOT a sponsor) and put a thin coat on...
  3. 9

97 JBL ground issue

I swapped out the sub enclosure for the 8" 98-01 enclosure and had to relocate the amps.Had the stereo on but it was just static,forgot to plug in the antenna.So I went to plug it in and there was sparks and from then on the display would dim with the bass or the sound would cut off then come...
  4. 9

Rear main seal replcement

There's really not enough room to slide the trans/tc back about a foot? The high failure rate is probably because they never checked to so see if there's groove worn into the crank or installed it backwards.There's no need to mess with the main cap,now if it was a two piece seal then yes.
  5. 9

Rear main seal replcement

Ok my RMS leak is starting to get worse and is now dripping oil on the exhaust.I'm gonna try ATP AT-205 first but either way the rms will have to be replaced eventually.Is there enough room to slide the trans/transfer case back and let it rest on the crossmember? as I don't feel like dealing...
  6. 9

Running board removal

Just some tips for someone who want's to remove their running boards.The speed nuts that hold the brackets to body will split and break.At least the first two I tried to remove did.So I unbolted the running boards from the brackets leaving the brackets on the body.I used MAP gas on the rusty...
  7. 9

1997 overheating 5.0 L engine

How many miles are on it?.I had a 92 Tbird don't remember the miles but it would start to overheat if I went 80 mph otherwise it was fine.Did you make sure there is no air in the system and did you install t-stat in the right direction?(Spring faces the engine).Run it with the rad cap off until...
  8. 9

Has anyone else noticed...

I picked mine up for $700 in early 2014.It needed brakes,upper control arms,battery,tires and cam synchronizer which was messed up and I'm surprised it ran.It only had 105.000 miles and now has 124.000.The body is pretty clean considering it's from Chicago.The pic is from when I bought it.
  9. 9

Rare factory Pioneer subwoofer?

Hooked it up today and it sounds good.The wiring harness runs right under the back seat so relocating the amps is no problem.But I forgot to plug the antenna back in and when I did it sparked on the main amp and the radio shut off then came back on.Now the radio lights are dimming with the...
  10. 9

Rare factory Pioneer subwoofer?

I found a 8" Pioneer sub out of an Expedition today.It has the same frame and part number F75F-18808-CC It also has the screw hole on back of the magnet.Anyone see this sub before?. I have a 97 Mountaineer with the JBL and gonna use the 98+ sub enclosure.Is the stock amp wiring harness long...
  11. 9

How to: Ford Explorer Starter No crank procedure

There's another relay which right next to the battery.People for whatever reason think it's a solenoid because of Wiki and the Chevy clowns who do write up's on installing one on their junk.The Ford starter relay which is mounted on the inner fender and next to the battery is just a heavy duty...
  12. 9

Transmission lines

I actually found new lines on ebay and both are gonna cost around $45.So I'm not gonna try to patch them.Gonna replace the rubber lines as well. Dorman 624-200 upper line 624-201 lower line 624-253 hose
  13. 9

Transmission lines

Thanks
  14. 9

Transmission lines

I need to replace the trans lines as there rusted and one is now leaking.Will the lines from a 2002 work or not?.Mines a 97 with the 4R70W and the 2002 was a roll over vehicle with only 25.000 miles and he's parting it out.He said both lines for $25
  15. 9

Coolant in brake system!

Your worried about nothing like someone else said brake fluid is hygroscopic. Who really changes their brake fluid every couple of years. Some bottles of brake fluid say once opened discard any unused fluid after two weeks.
  16. 9

Metal gasket for 5.0L timing cover?

What brand gasket did you use?. I never had issues with Fel-Pro gaskets except cork valve cover gaskets but those are junk anyways. Coat the gasket with something like Permatex High Tack.Plus it will hold it in place and it also comes in a spray can.Also if you can replace the timing cover bolts.
  17. 9

97 AWD Transfer Case Fluid

Well there's something in the MercV causing issues.And it's not like it's hard to change.It took about half an hour but I also don't have the weight in the way,but still.The fluid was only $20. One tip when changing the fluid is just take three bolts out and leave one bolt loose(passenger...
  18. 9

I believe heat was the cause of the exploding transfer cases after being serviced with Mercon V The MercV was in mine for only about a month and it smelled nasty while it was draining today. And the XL-12 transfer case fluid does smell like trans fluid.
  19. 9

Before it was changed I could feel it slow down when I let off the gas.I just drove it and it's rolls,coasts even better then the Mercon V and now I have to use the brakes more. Before when going downhill it would either slow down or hold it's speed.There is a noticeable difference.
  20. 9

I just changed it and it was draining almost like light syrup when it was almost done.Mercon V appears to be slightly thicker then the original fluid.I assume it was Mercon in there and hasn't been changed before.The XL-12 is also thinner like the oem fluid.Plus there was an awful smell and I...
  21. 9

From looking at the owners manuals 07 4WD(was there no AWD?)it says Mercon.In 08 it say's 4WD/AWD XL-12. I'd like to know for sure if in fact it's just Mercon relabeled so people don't use it in there transmissions. So either way both 4WD and AWD call for Mercon and as of 08 it say's XL-12.
  22. 9

Also when I went to Ford and asked about having Mercon V in there the parts guy asked a tech.He said to get it out of there and put the transfer case fluid in. If I have time later I'll go to Ford and see if the specification of ESP-M2C166-H that is "transfer case fluid" is the same from the...
  23. 9

I can't say for sure that it eats brass and copper just something I read.But look at the old non world class t5 they use gear oil because of the brass inside them.And the newer m5od-r1 have carbon fiber synchros vs the older ones that have brass synchros.People have said they shift like crap...
  24. 9

So far all I can find for ESP-M2C166-H is Royal Purple listing it as Mercon...
  25. 9

A transaxle is a transmission/differential in one. "For use in transfer cases where MERCON® ATF was previously recommended"
Back