Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Also rumble strip feeling

Sorry for bumping but I just wanted to say thanks to the great folks that read and advised me on all of this - Checked the sway bar end links today and they're as tight as when i put them on which is great news.. Today (until rain stopped play) I figured I would attempt the new hubs, brake...
  2. E

Bought an Explorer at an Auction! EEK!

I've seen much worse than that bought for a lot more money You might also want to replace that front drivers side fog lamp and grille that's missing and the passenger running board that looks like a shark took a bite while you're down the junkyard other than that it sounds like you're heading...
  3. E

Question about cylinder head

Not sure if you have the sport trac or not but either way i'm pretty sure they are the same core plugs - You may have to measure your original just to make sure you get the correct one in there and it does have to be accurate so calipers is probably the best way to go in the new head hole...
  4. E

Yes the plug is needed as i said it's a plug to stop all of the coolant spilling out of your engine (a left over from the sand casting to enable a smooth casting of the coolant ducts inside the heads and engine block - There should be more under the exhaust manifold on the engine block i believe...
  5. E

There is a hole in the cast your original is filled with a core plug - I believe you guys call them freeze plugs or possibly expansion plugs ?? They were put in place as the sand casting of the head requires the holes that are created for the coolant to end in another hole to make a nice smooth...
  6. E

Not sure if wheel bearing?

That kinda depends which hub they are planning on putting on and how much you value their time - I just bought two for $160 each (SKF brand) - They can be purchased for cheaper (different brand) but from what i've read on here aren't necessarily of the same quality as the SKF brand - Chances are...
  7. E

I got the rest to do first but up until that point i'll keep a check on them to make sure they aren't coming loose - Once i have everything else done i'll blue loctite them
  8. E

That's awesome I now know they are tight enough - Thank you :D
  9. E

Ok so i got the MOOG k700542 problem solver front sway bar links - The old nuts came off pretty easily however the sleeves were rusted to the bolts so ended up having to hacksaw them off by hand - Put the new ones on and found it a little odd that they don't come with nylocks - Not sure if i...
  10. E

Thanks very much i'll add them up at the same time - Rockauto can be a mission to order from it seems as it sometimes lists a couple of part numbers even when specifying a year model etc of the vehicle
  11. E

I will head out and have a check - You're correct i didn't physically check them more than noticing the bushings were wearing out on one side but that i shall do right now.. [Edit] - And that is why i come to forums - The side that has worn bushings is still in there nice and solid not a...
  12. E

Thanks bud i read that one and mine is slightly different in that i get the knocking sensation when either on the occasional straight or turning a corner one way - on the other corner no such issues - It's more of a knocking (parts moving feeling) than a drrrr from a rumble strip if that makes...
  13. E

Ok so i'm getting ready to order some parts to cure out some or hopefully all of the rumble strip feeling in my 2005 4.6L V8 Eddie Bauer ex - Just hoping you guys can just take a look at my list and see if there is anything missing that may cause that type of vibration. Please note although...
  14. E

How Much Lower Ball Joint Play? - Highway Steering Vibration

Following this with interest as i have the same issue - Uppers look ok on mine but the lowers have wear (cracking) on the bushings as do the sway bar link bushings so everything you're currently replacing is on my list of to do's but it would be nice to hear what fixes yours - I also have no...
  15. E

"SPROING" Sound At Left Firewall '05 4.6L

It does happen with the 1-2 upshift - Doesn't do it when i'm pegging it just first thing in the morning (for me) when i'm on a go slow mine has a little grind to it almost as if it's clearing it's throat
  16. E

"SPROING" Sound At Left Firewall '05 4.6L

Question: does this sound similar to a higher pitched driving over a manhole cover - I'm asking because that's what mine does and i assumed wrongly that it was the manhole cover on my street - However it's now done it before the cover after the cover and when missing the cover so the car it is lol
  17. E

2005 EB Explorer V8 Various issues

Small update - Haven't ordered the Hubs yet but I'm not offroading and it's currently not getting any worse but they will be ordered shortly - I have had explorer mail this week though in the form of a bluetooth OBD2 reader and a new motorcraft gas cap - Originally the error code only pointed to...
  18. E

Thanks for the tip - I'll grab another key before i get this one cut - The one that i have with the vehicle looks like a clone key rather than a genuine ford PATS key - I suppose it won't hurt to have a third even though there's only two of using the car a spare is certainly always handy..
  19. E

Thanks for the thorough reply - It also reminds me that I need to check my torque wrench. A hub puller is a great idea and although it won't help to get the hub off of it's rim i'm sure it will make the moving of the spline out of the way a bit easier as i really wasn't looking forward to...
  20. E

Small update: The Hubs will be ordered this week probably from Rockauto as they seem to be as cheap as anywhere else for the SKF hubs. The Explorer only came with one key and no fobs so I've ordered another key that i'll have to get cut and cloned at a locksmith, as well as two three button key...
  21. E

Apenland any tips and advice you can share on doing the hubs would be good - Did you follow the torque settings and what torque setting did you use for the large axle nut (hub nut?) If i remember correctly 184-250 ft lbs and could you tell me was the nut 30mm or 32mm please and thank you
  22. E

That answers my question perfectly thank you. That is what I was getting at though the descriptions I posted above are direct (copy paste) From the Rockauto site i'm going to go for the specific Eddie Bauer one as that is at the price you specified of $160 the other one is $140 and I think for a...
  23. E

Ok first hurdle - Now i'm looking at SKF bearings as I have looked around the forums plenty even before I joined - For the Timken I was looking at it was a single part number that covered the model that I have - The SKF however at Rockauto have two different hubs listed - One is listed for...
  24. E

Before I start i'd like to say hello as i'm new to the forum and new to having an explorer as well.. I picked up a used 2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6l V8 Explorer a few weeks ago and so far have a few issues - I would like to state here that like the majority of you I love the car it's great. I'm...
Back