Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Ranger has the 3.0 flex fuel w/a 5spd.
  2. F

Thought I'd add mileage of other Blue Ovals in my garage, Ranger 244k, still original starter/water pump/alt. Heads/oil pan never been pulled Mustang 303k, killed original 5.0 at 287k via bent valve on #2 cyl. Currently running a 98' Expo long block with Mustang HO cam
  3. F

Approaching 275k on the Expo, runs like a top. See no reason it won't hit 325-350k.
  4. F

It's been nearly 4 years since I've posted on here. The 98' Limited just turned 264k miles. Runs great, doesn't leaks anything and still knocks down 20mpg on the highway.
  5. F

Our 98' 5.0AWD Limited now has 232k on it. Runs likes a top, doesn't leak any oil, doesn't smoke and still knocks down 18mpg average. Had to do shocks and brakes this summer. Also cleaned the TB, egr valve and IAC this summer. Amazing vehicle, plan on driving it another 3-4 years. Hope to...
  6. F

5.0 short blocks whats different

I used the Mustang balancer and flywheel on the Explorer long block, smooth as silk. IIRC my 86' is also 50oz. Can't use the Mustang balancer in the Explorer anyway, not enough clearance and FEAD belt won't line up.
  7. F

Yes, it had the 4R70W trans. All 5.0 Explorers are auto that I'm aware of. I've read of countless people swapping Expo 5.0's into Mustangs without a problem, don't see why it couldn't be done the other way around.
  8. F

I did a 98' expo 5.0 swap into my 86' Mustang last fall and had no issues. All the necessary Mustang parts swapped directly onto Explorer long block. Car runs great. Cranks appeared identical on the outside, Mustang harmonic balancer, flywheel and pilot bearing installed without issue.
  9. F

Our 98' Limited is at 199k and still running like a top. Uses a quart of oil every 3500 miles, not too bad IMO. Replacing lower ball joints and upper control arms tomorrow, GF hit a nasty pothole a couple weeks back and the DS upper ball joint developed a small amount of play. Over 700k miles...
  10. F

00 mounty 5.0 front diff problems new member!

Did you set the pinion preload correctly after replacing the pinion seal?
  11. F

explorer 5l vs mustang 5l

I just got done swapping a 98' expo motor into my Mustang. Internals are the same except pistons (92 and earlier Mustang have forged, expos are hyper). You'll gain nothing by swapping internals, focus on letting the motor breath. The stock explorer cam and valve springs suck, and the stock...
  12. F

Expected MPG on a 1998 V8 AWD

Over a 500 mile round trip this week our 98' Limited averaged just over 19mpg with near 400lbs of gear in the back--80-90% hwy driving. Not bad for a 2+ ton brick with a V8.
  13. F

1996 Explorer XLT: Dawg chewed seatbelts. All of 'em.

I have a 98 Explorer I'm parting out with grey interior. Let me know if you still need them. Jeremiah
  14. F

Newbie From WA State

Sorry for the poor quality.
  15. F

Newbie From WA State

A 1998 Explorer Limited 5.0AWD joined my stable of Fords recently (I DD 99' Ranger 4wd and 5.0 Fox Mustang) so it was time to add an explorer forum to my list of auto forums. Been a member of www.rangerstation.com and www.ranger-forums.com for several years under the same name. I'll post up...
Back