Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Michelin Tires

The following 7 posts were moved from another thread. I thought I might get a little cra9 for that but they were still +2/32 off the treadwear bars. The car had a ton of easy highway miles from going to my son's baseball games in Texas. We live in Topeka. There are only a couple hills between...
  2. J

Should I get the Explorer?

Ours needed a new transmission at 89k. Ford did. Toning to help even after having reported an issue at 50k. Trasnsmission completely failed at 80k
  3. J

2016 Explorer 2.3L EcoBoost 4WD real world MPG?

Average over 80k is 23.7. Otherwise if you are considering cost of ownership and in possibly needing to buy a transmission at 80k miles. That was 5000 dollars. We we were still 2/32 from the treadwear indicator on the original tires. Ford did nothing to help. Look at the total cost
  4. J

Help!! 2016 Explorer Transmission Issue

We had similar issue driving in mountains with our 2013. Colmplete failure until vehicle was towed 50 miles. After being dropped from wrecker all was well and no codes. Drove from Loveland Colorado Topeka KS that day. 30k later the tranny needed a complete rebuild. Make sure you get a repair in...
  5. J

2013 CPO Explorer Sport, 70k miles - good carfax? Please help

T 80k tranny needed a complete rebuild and torque converter replaced. Input shaft was pitted and seal failed. Also had odd wear pattern and hub was shot. This all on a vehicle on first set of tires. Ford didn't see fit to extend warranty to the first owner
  6. J

purchase question

I got that from a Ford Service Manager - It doesn't really mean anything though unless someone else knows how they calculate it. I can say buying a new car from them and having all the service work done at Ford and having bought several pre-owned Fords from the same dealer are not enough.
  7. J

purchase question

Better buy several at the same dealership or get an extended warranty. Tranny went out on our 2013 at 80,000 miles and FOMOCO told me that any issue beyond their written warranty would be a dealer decision. Only way Ford willlaccept an implied warranty issue (like transmission lasting longer...
  8. J

2015 Explorer Sport - Shudders when coming to a stop.

Get it to Ford Immediately. We just put a new transmission and torque converter in our at 80,000 miles after a catastropic torque converter failure. Repairs showed that there was several internal parts wore well out of spec and the result was the transmission did not let go of the wheels when...
  9. J

Should I get the Explorer?

I'd strongly recommend shopping for an extended warranty. We bought the 2013 XLT Eco Boost new in 2013. At 48,000 miles transmission suddenly stopped working until it was towed from Estes Park CO to Loveland where we spent most of one day of vacation at the Ford Dealer there. We got there...
  10. J

2014 Explorer 2.0 liter, transmission issue?

Better luck for you than me. Get it replaced and make sure they change the Torque converter too. Ours did EXCATLY the same thing at 48,000 but then started working correctly again after a ride on the back of wrecker. At almost exactly 80,000 miles the torque converter looked up. Even though...
  11. J

Front end noise...Tires? Bearings? ??

There is a Ford TSB for a bracket on the 4 Cylinder that will fracture due to it not being designed correctly and leads to passenger axle shaft rubbing. This sounded like the scraping noise that disk brakes make to warn of worn pads. This was found during the 4,000 dollar transmission rebuild...
Back