Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 Rough Idle at Times...

Any codes? Check the vacuum hoses near the rear of the engine..esp the one that comes out of the intake right after the throttle body.Mine were all hard and cracked. I was getting rough idle and P1151 until I fixed the vacuum lines.
  2. T

Won't restart until it cools down

There was a big changeover in '04 or '05. The Explorers went to an electronic throttle body and a 1 pipe in and 1 pipe out fuel filter. There is a Fuel pressure regulator somewhere up near the engine Get a Haynes manual. Also the Sport Tracs' aren't exactly the same as the Explorers , Could be a...
  3. T

Won't restart until it cools down

I had this exact problem,the fuel pump was bad. the 02's have a pressure regulator built into the fuel pump.Check to see if there are 2 fuel lines in the inboard side of your fuel filter.And amazingly it never stalled or quit while running,only after I shut it off and tried to restart it while...
  4. T

4WD Electronics

And he's going to need the balance shaft buried in the front timing chain assembly too
  5. T

some capiler slide pin questions

Couple questions: 1. When you took out the caliper pins were the plastic/rubber sleeves soft and gooey or mostly hard and plastic like. They are supposed to remain hard and plastic like. 2. That special pin is on either the top or bottom on one side and on the other side the special pin with the...
  6. T

Major Engine Failure

I made that mistake thinking that too. The 4.0 OHV was non-interference.The 4.0 SOHC is INTERFERENCE. I'va asked the question as to how many teeth does the timing chain need to jump before a valve could actually make contact with the top of a piston. No answers to that question.
  7. T

2002 replacement brake pads & rotor suggestions

I bought the Wagner Thermo Quiet ceramic front pad set last time around. $36.00 from Amazon.Very impressed with the smoothness of the braking action...and they never grab at the end. A big however is that they are not dustless.....they claim to be very low dust.(This as good as any aftermarket...
  8. T

Timing chain, or thrown rod?

My apologies, you are 100% correct, the 4.0 pushrod engines were non interference.The SOHC's are interference.How many teeth would a timing chain have to jump? I've never seen any data showing at what position the piston would be in where the valve would be open far enough to be able the be hit...
  9. T

Timing chain, or thrown rod?

You are now aware that the 4.0 SOHC is an interference engine,but that just means the spark plug fires twice during the 4 cycles. It is very common that the timing chain tensioners need to be replaced,more often than the owners manual states. Any 4.0 owner is given ample clues that the...
  10. T

Replace all 4L timing chain & guides without removing engine or special tools

Make sure you buy new metal gaskets,as they don't come in the box with the tensioners.
  11. T

P1151 Lack of upstream Heated O2 Sensor Switch Sensor Indicates Lean Bank 2

Thx for the reply 410,I cut a hole in the floor and replaced the fuel pump that way. Only needed to disconnect the 2 electrical connectors and the 2 fuel lines. I was getting the P1151 prior to the Fuel pump and Filter replacement. Guess I need to look at the EGR and Canister locations and find...
  12. T

Thanks 410..... I've got torque pro and my fuel trims on bank 2 are always a little out of whack when the truck is idling,however when i accelerate (even gently) the trims snap to almost perfect. Numbers like (+1 and -2) offset total of 1 just as close to perfect as can be expected.When I am...
  13. T

P1151 Lack of upstream Heated O2 Sensor Switch Sensor Indicates Lean Bank 2. Just like the header says,I failed my smog test today. Looked at FordParts......the search box returns DY 1401 (9G444) If you look at the diagram it looks like the upstream O2 sensor is actually (9F472) I guess bank 2...
  14. T

Just pulled engine - Questions

shane10 said: 3 - Once the engine was removed, I pulled off the fuel rails just to clear space up, some of the fuel was released and pooled into the crevice between the cylinder heads. No biggie, except it started to bubble/drain... Looked like cracked metal at first, but upon poking around it...
  15. T

Replace all 4L timing chain & guides without removing engine or special tools

Hi Bob, Thanks for the very informative post and videos. I do however have one thing to add that is critically important. Do yourself a favor and buy one of those "ebay special" timing chain tensioners,then go to O'reily's or other major auto parts stores,and get the best tensioner they have...
  16. T

Help Selecting a OBD2 scanner

If you listen to Makuloco he admitted a scanner was barely helpful. Just get a "scope on a rope" and use the wiring schematic posted by TechGuru. You'll see the same yellow/blk wire is the one for the drivers side front door. Just keep following powers and grounds till you find the bad wire. If...
  17. T

Help Selecting a OBD2 scanner

Maybe this will help
  18. T

Does it matter how the fuel lines are connected on 3 line fuel filter

Just as an aside comment I've noticed you've linked the Timing chain job by FORD TECH MAKULOCO ( Make You Loco!!). If you watch him do that job all the way through,It's on a Ranger. He needs to disconnect the same fuel line where it connects up at the engine he uses what appears to be the same...
  19. T

Thanks Drew, I bought that kit and finally got that sucker off....trick was to slide it in and then take a pliers and slide them behind the removal tool and rotate the pliers and the removal tool together.and voila I had fuel running down my hand!!! LOL The 17 yr old plastic connectors on the...
  20. T

02 v6 issues

After it dies do you recheck the fuel pressure? These fuel pumps have a check valve in them that can get stuck in the return position. '02's have a return line from the fuel filter and after the fuel pump senses enough pressure in the line it opens a check valve that may be sticking open.Just a...
  21. T

I I still don't have mine off...tried several times. I'm using the scissor type. What removal tool did you use???
  22. T

Ok I tried to do the job... i bought a 3/8-Inch and 5/16-Inch quick connect removal tool and can't get the single line quick connect to release.( and yes i took off the retaining clip) Do I need a certain size tool? like maybe larger one? Anyone know the exact size you need? TIA
Back