Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Electrical Issue - Overvoltage at WOT

For the sake of reference, in the last six weeks I've put on about 2,200 recorded miles, plus little around-town driving.
  2. R

UPDATE - So... my mechanic's spent a day looking at it, and a few days chatting with their colleagues trying to find a solution. Ultimately, we couldn't find anything external to the alternator, except a suspicion it may be related to the PCM. I bought what was claimed on the phone to be a...
  3. R

They've all been remanufactured alternators from a local shop my mechanic has always used. Didn't have time to take care of it myself when the first failure occurred, so now I've got one under warranty from them.
  4. R

Well, cleaning the terminals is certainly an easy enough thing to try, but over the course of this year there have been three different batteries in the truck, and this is the first time I've seen any corrosion at the terminals, so this certainly wasn't something playing a factor until recently.
  5. R

So you think the corrosion on the terminals is causing the PCM to read the voltage slower? Everything is normal unless there's a rapid change in RPMs. I was thinking the corrosion and wetness on top of the battery was a symptom (due to overcharging and boiling of the electrolyte) rather than a...
  6. R

2005 EB with the 4.6L V8 History- June or July of last year I had been having problems with the alternator not charging. Battery and alt were replaced, was fine for a couple days, then problem returned. A couple more alternators and another battery (under warranty) and the problem seemed to...
  7. R

I'm clueless...

So, it was just up on the rack at my mechanic's. There is a visible oil leak at the front of my rear diff, where the drive line enters, and they believe that the bearing is failing and that's causing the noise, and I simply feel it in the steering wheel because the vibration is transmitting...
  8. R

I'm clueless...

2005 Explorer EB 4.6L 4wd, 210k miles. I'm getting a weird vibration/noise that I can't figure out. From about 5-15 mph, I can feel it as a "ticking" in the steering wheel. This ticking feels faster than I expect the wheels to be turning. At road speed, it sounds like a rumble, and there's a...
  9. R

Instrument Cluster Test

Same here in my '05. Happened once or twice in really cold temps on an aging battery. Never saw it again in warmer temperatures, or since the battery was replaced.
  10. R

Broken steering lever/ bracket.

Different model year, but that sounds a little like an issue I was having after having my battery replaced this summer. The computer reset, and lost its learned idle trim. I got some throttle body cleaner and spent about 20 minutes cleaning 200,000 miles worth of gunk from the area around the...
  11. R

Door key lock doesn’t work

And that's why I truly hate that Ford deleted all other keyways. Nothing beats a good ol' brass key as a backup system.
  12. R

Broken steering lever/ bracket.

The PATS interrupts the fuel, not spark, if I remember correctly. But the PATS should be a 5 amp fuse, #14 under the dash (second from the end in the longest row of fuses). Just random, but have you tried a different key?
  13. R

4-Low Range Issue

This is just a shot in the dark, but in a recent thread on cruise control issues, it was found that there is a brake pedal pressure sensor on the master cylinder that disengages the CC and is prone to failure, I wonder if this same sensor affects shifting into 4-low?
  14. R

2004 Mountaineer Cruise Control Issue

Hmm... that's something I'd never encountered before. All the CC systems I'd seen before (aside from the manual "throttle lock" type) were disengaged by the brake pedal switch.
  15. R

How to: Tow hook installation procedure.

Just installed mine today. I was at the junkyard yesterday looking for an entirely different part, and one of the Explorers I looked at not only had the original tow hooks, but someone had already snatched the front bumper cover, so they were right there for the taking. I hadn't brought my...
  16. R

03' Explorer limited; Seat Heater Button

Hmm... so it's actually a mechanical toggle? I had always thought it was a momentary SPST like so many of the other switches Ford uses. Guess that also means I can turn my girlfriend's seat heater off once I park, rather than unbuckling, stretching across the truck, and trying to find that...
  17. R

2004 Mountaineer Cruise Control Issue

I too have been having an occasional problem with CC not engaging, and I've noticed that after tapping the brakes it comes on normally. Lifting the pedal with my toe does not help this, and I have never encountered the brake lights remaining on after I park, so I'm wondering if some component is...
  18. R

Steering Shaft Compatibility?

I had seen a complaint that the lower joint was subject to corrosion from salty road spray, and I also noticed on the junkyard part yesterday that the boot area was covered in grime as it was directly below the oil fill, and next to the exhaust manifold. I think the boot was an attempt to...
  19. R

So, this particular steering shaft seems specific to the gen 3 with the V-8, which means that there's only a one-in-three chance at best that a gen 3 in the junkyard has the right part (mine doesn't list specs, just year, make, model, and a photo of the front and dashboard). Of all the...
  20. R

Mine isn't loose or clicking, it's got the problem where the "permanent" lubrication in the joints has dried up, and they're starting to bind, so about every 1/8th turn of the wheel I hit a stiff spot, then it loosens up, then binds, etc., and the problem worsens with cold. The last thing I...
  21. R

Oh, and this is an '05 with the V-8.
  22. R

So, I'm having the issue with the intermediate steering shaft starting to bind up and I was looking for replacement parts and WTF?! This part for an F-150 is about $40. For the Explorer, it's $300, and the only perceptible difference I can see between them is that the Exp version has a rubber...
  23. R

Humming Noise + Steering Issue

Thanks for the info, I'm starting to have this same issue, that seems to be worsening as the weather gets colder (not sure if related), but I also seem to get an occasional squeak from the wheel, so I was wondering if this was the issue. Where exactly did you spray the oil? (inside cabin, or...
  24. R

Ignition key chip

Really? They must have phased it in then. I remember when some of the reps were showing of the 2005 prototypes and test mules to a group I was with in 04, the TBW system was something none of us had seen before on a modular 4.6L.
  25. R

Ignition key chip

Yeah, in 2004 you still had a conventional steel cable that ran from the gas pedal to the butterfly valve. In 2005, Ford started replacing the gas pedal with what essentially amounts to an analog video game controller, and put a computer-controlled servo motor in charge of the butterfly valve...
Back