Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Head Gasket Advice

The sohc motors have very crappy head gaskets from factory!!!!! they always spring leaks use only felpro head gaskets, as far as carbon build up you need to drive it like you stole it a few times a yr to burn it all out, these motors where never designed to be put in explorer, they where...
  2. S

99 Exploder

I have a 2001 sport 2wd and 5 speed ,yes they ride like crap, i lowered in front 2' using torsion bars and 3" in back using blocks and it rides ALOT BETTER and handles like a diff car.
  3. S

2001 Explorer stalls has lean codes

If you install all correct factory parts it wont starve below 1/4 tank of fuel, i can run mine till red light comes on and drives just fine, its a 2001 sport.
  4. S

99 sport runs like garbage

i have a 2001 sport and it had a miss i couldnt fix and it ended up being a valve in the head, miss on # 2 cylinder was code. replace the head, fixed problem, the sohc motors get carboned up bad if not driven hard a few times a yr.
  5. S

Lowering ,my 2001 sport 2wd

whattttttttttt, nobody has done this??? i find that hard to believe....maybe just to lazy to reply to post...lol
  6. S

4.0 soho question

yes the engine will fit, you might need to change a few brackets, also the 4x4 motor has a balance shaft and the 2 wheel doesnt.
  7. S

Lowering ,my 2001 sport 2wd

Hi guys im wanting to lower my 2001 explorer sport 2wd, i was wondering who makes spindles for this? can i use ranger spindles? or f150 spindles? i know lowering rear is easy, but front has me puzzled. torsion bars dont lower it enuff. hellllllllllllllppppppppppp thanks, shad.
  8. S

Im doing timing chains have a question...

ive been doing some research on the 4.0. with the 6200 rpm redline and quality of the block which i think is really good. i think that if i could do some head work/ port and polish heads and intake. have some custom cams made and good headers, i think i could get 300 hp out of one.
  9. S

i got the tool to hold crank in place but i made the brackets to hold the cam. a buddy has a blown motor i used to mock up brackets., just used 1/8 steel plate, welder and grinder. lol..
  10. S

doing fronts this weekend, doing back next weekend when i pull tranny to replace clutch.
  11. S

Coal..thank you. shad.
  12. S

yea the explorers used gt40 heads till 97 and gt40 p heads after, the motors run good i put one in my 88 fox all i did was add a cam for use with distributor and better valve springs, the explorers also used the gt40 intake as well. very good motors!!!! just had wimpy camshafts.
  13. S

yea lol, i sold my 88 5.0 foxbody, i miss it badly, but needed a more every day car instead of a hot rod lol.
  14. S

Around here where i live you can buy 5.0 explorers all day long for fairly cheap, i found one for 500 that needs rear end w/o 100.000 miles. they average about 1.500 locally.
  15. S

all i need is a 2001 explorer 5.0 donor car, the 2 dr is alot lighter, and yes drive shaft will be shorter. mines 2 wheel drive so wont have to hassle with all that. read a build on this site of a 2001 sprt trac, 5.0 swap and it sounds fairly straight forward. but for now im just gonna replace...
  16. S

maybe but it wouldnt be a 2 door explorer, which i prefer.
  17. S

i will take my time, im seriously thinking of doing a 5.0 swap, it would be fast and fun to drive also reliable then..lol
  18. S

yea i agree, i like the way these motors run, when tuned good.
  19. S

yea i agree some dumb a@@ at ford had a brain fart putting plastic parts in these motors, this motor was designed for the 4.0 jaguar and range rover not the explorer. im also toying with idea going with 5.0 swap. should haul a@@ lol...
  20. S

thanks for info..i have 35 yrs mechanic exp, so i think these should be easy for me lol, just wasnt sure on bolts.
  21. S

Hi guys im doing my timing chains this weekend and im wondering what bolts i need to replace? is it just jackshaft or cam bolts also, i know jack is torque to yield what about cam?
  22. S

06 mustang 4.0 will it fit my 01 explorer?

lol.. hopefully the cams and headers will help. fun to drive already being a 2 wd and a 5 speed. but its got 170.000 miles so im gonna build a motor.
  23. S

awesome...more hp and better components....i found a guy who will grind me some rv cams. delta cams in tacoma, prob use headers also.
  24. S

Hey guys i found a low mile 06 mustang 4.0, how much work would it be to put in my 01 explorer sport?
  25. S

Hey guys i found a low mile 06 mustang 4.0, how much work would it be to put in my 01 explorer sport?
Back