Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Advice on 4.0 ohv transmission

I went ahead and ordered a motor craft filter from advanced. It should be here in a couple of days. Thanks to all the advice and I'll post the results after I change it. Btw it's a five speed auto trans. Idk how I missed a gear lol.
  2. A

Alright fellas, I've decided to change the trans filter. All I can find are car quest, duramax, or the house brand at orielys. I really wanna motor craft or fram but can't find it. Any suggestions on the best filter.
  3. A

Sounds pretty good. I will definitely inspect quality of fluid before I make a decision on changing it. Thanks.
  4. A

I figured that if I changed it that way four or five times, not back to back mind you, but over the course of a couple of months, then I would eventually get it all or at least a good portion while also doing it slowly. Is my logic correct? Thanks
  5. A

I'll probably do that so I can transition to new fluid a lil more slowly and maybe not shock the system.
  6. A

Thank you all for your replies. I agree with your logic Rhet and I don't wanna drive it into the ground. I think I may just change the filter and whatever fluid comes out, see where that gets me and if everything still works then I might change all the fluid after. Thanks again and any one else...
  7. A

Thank you. I paid 650 for it. I didn't really wanna flush it. Maybe just change what comes out with the filter change. Or maybe just change the filter and reuse the fluid. Idk. Thanks for the input though.
  8. A

I have a 97 explorer with a 4.0 ohv with 150000 miles on it. It's the four speed transmission, 2 wheel drive. I would like to change the filter and fluid. The fluid is brown with a lil pink left. I don't know if it's ever been changed. I've been told that doing anything to it could possibly mess...
  9. A

Changed tranny filter now o/d light flashes

I'm new to this so forgive me if this isn't proper forum edict. I have a 97 explorer ohv with 150000 in it. I want to change the filter or fluid but I'm scared to cause any problems with it. It's the four speed auto trans. The fluid doesn't look too bad, but it is a lil brown. I have no idea if...
Back