Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

97 SOHC won't start

When I did it the first time, I didn't let the cam move so I just put it back exactly the way it was. It ran fine for a few weeks, but then It looks like the chain jumped somehow. The only thing I can think of is that I used the old tensioner (stupid, I know) and it wasn't keeping the chain...
  2. J

97 SOHC won't start

Need help getting this cam in alignment, anyone know any tricks? I really can't afford to buy the alignment tool so even if I can get it close enough to run decent then I'm game.
  3. J

97 SOHC won't start

Ok, checked the compression and well there was none....I took the valve cover off and the marks I had used when rebuilding it the first time were not lined up anymore. So, the sprocket or chain slipped and its now out of time. Did you say you had a way to get it back without getting the...
  4. J

97 SOHC won't start

Good idea, I'll try that tonight.
  5. J

97 SOHC won't start

I actually just printed that chart from your links, Thanks! I'll check it when I get home. What do you think about the starting fluid / pull fuel pump fuse check to see if it will run???
  6. J

97 SOHC won't start

Yea, the engine is for sure getting too much gas...What do you guys think about pulling the fuel pump relay and spraying some starting fluid in the intake to see if it will fire up for a second??? This would eliminate a timing issue correct? Then maybe concentrate on why the computer is...
  7. J

97 SOHC won't start

I did the work about 3 weeks ago. I understand what your saying, but the motor doesn't turn over any different than it used to. I can test compression tomorrow. What were you saying about having tips on resetting the cam gears... Thanks again
  8. J

97 SOHC won't start

I have not tried any compression tests, how can that tell me if it is out of time?
  9. J

97 SOHC won't start

Crackshaft sensor replaced and still no go. What other components effect timing? Camshaft position sensor, PCM... I pulled a sparkplug for the heck of it and as I assumed it was full of gas. Disconnected the battery in hope to reset something in the computer, no joy. Thanks for the reply...
  10. J

97 SOHC won't start

Fuel pressure ok Ok, just tested the fuel pressure...it was at 40 when at key on engine off and stayed around 35-40 when trying to start it. I'm currently replacing the crankshaft position sensor...Still waiting on any suggestions, starting to loose hope!
  11. J

97 SOHC won't start

Guys, need some advice on pinpointing a won't start issue. My son went to pull away after getting gas and the truck even at full throttle just wouldn't go over a couple MPH. He put in in reverse, backed into parking spot and it wouldn't start after that. So after reading posts on this...
  12. J

97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC transfer case issues

My explorer started making a loud spinning noise whenever I let off the gas while going over 35mph yesterday. It started making the same noise today when I was trying to go in reverse. I have read other threads about this problem being caused by a bad transfer case but I was wondering If it...
Back