Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Squeaking when turning after just starting up.

Sorry, I was just looking for further confirmation.
  2. I

I was looking at another forum and it said lower ball joints and sway bar bushings could be the issue. I'll get some grease into the locations you mentioned when I have the time. I'm out of state in my Subaru at the moment, my Ford is sitting at home relegated to the low mpg club with my Ram.
  3. I

Rotational. It only happens when moving. When going over bumps it sounds like an spring that's creaking, but turning sounds like a whale. Could be two different problems causing a symphony of catastrophe? Why would the mechanic say the diff is what's the problem? Could that be a third issue and...
  4. I

I'll take a look at my soonest opportunity with some grease.
  5. I

As another note, I can't get it to make the sound by rocking the car. It sounds like a metal on metal squeak, but it's not shrill.
  6. I

Alrighty, here's the lay down. I just replaced the front wheel bearings, but still nothing different about the squeaking. I suppose I should have been smarter about it, since it has just come to my attention that the noise is not supposed to happen when going over speed bumps too. Mechanic...
  7. I

Gen2 - Simple - Sound System Upgrade

I was able to put am amplifier behind the rear panel, where the stock subwoofer and head unit amp were. The only issue that you have is airflow behind that panel, so I wouldn't recommend anything pushing above let's say 500W RMS without some sort of fan. It's all stale air. That amp only has a...
  8. I

Rough Automatic Transmission

Alright, I take that back. There is a massive shudder, around 40- 50 and it doesn't like to switch into 4th easily at all.
  9. I

Alright! I will look into it. I'll replace the 1-2 and see if it makes a difference. If it does I'll look into replacing 2-3.
  10. I

No, it is not that vicious and does not happen at those speeds. It's whenever it shifts into any gear it lags and then finally shifts and it almost jerks the car. I'll certainly look into it. Thank you. My car is currently at 202,000.
  11. I

Hello! So I thought I would check really quickly with you guys on opinions with what's going on. My transmission has been shifting really rough lately. When accelerating it's mostly fine, it's rough as in you can feel it noticeably in the car. After a heavy acceleration and letting off the gas...
  12. I

Checkup and Repairs

Ball joints are original. Not much has been replaced in this car. I'll try that but I figure they need to be replaced anyways. Just need the money for it. Was just going to make sure my throttle cable isn't super stretched out and check how off my TPS is and pop a few zip ties on there.
  13. I

Checkup and Repairs

I'll look into getting the bearings replaced soon-ish.
  14. I

Checkup and Repairs

Good catch. I don't know how I got it into my head there was one and convinced myself to get one. Maybe I should take a break for a little...
  15. I

Checkup and Repairs

Heyo! I own a 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, with the 5l v8 engine. I just replaced my front brake pads (I can actually slow down at a reasonable speed now) and brought the car to a mechanic to perform a checkup on the entire vehicle. News ain't good, but for a 201k mile vehicle, I didn't...
  16. I

Able to Use Factory Sub Wiring?

I just found wires that ran up to the front of the head unit and spliced speaker wires into them. Just randomly, and noted the colors and what speakers I was hooking up. Then I hooked those wires up to the head unit and it works perfectly. The sub was a little more difficult, but I made it...
  17. I

'96 JBL Stereo Harness

Yeah that'd be awesome! Is there a way to get to the antenna for AM/FM too? I just don't want to rewire all of the car's speakers, my hands are already cut up and bleeding enough from installing a subwoofer amp.
  18. I

'96 JBL Stereo Harness

Hello! I'm looking for how to connect an aftermarket head unit to the factory amplifier unit for the door speakers. A pinout for the RCU and how to connect it to that would be fantastic, but me and my buddy have been stumped at finding out how to get the sucker to work. It's a 1996 Ford...
  19. I

Alright, so I've torn out the old head unit and very quickly (I mean it took four hours between me and two friends) figured out that there was another amp in the back powering the four door speakers as we couldn't find a wiring diagram for the harness in the front. We did manage to get power to...
  20. I

Well crap then. I don't have any of the wires for that atm. I wonder if Car Toys or Stereo King will sell me a kit for cheap.
  21. I

I'm only replacing it with a 500W amp so I guess we'll see. I'm going to be tearing it apart tomorrow or Wednesday.
  22. I

Hey! So my Ford Explorer 1996 came with the JBL Sound System option, and I was looking to replace the head unit and install a subwoofer in the back of my car. I already have the subwoofer, amp, head unit and mounting kit for all of it but I was curious if I could use the already existing wires...
  23. I

1996 Explorer EGR Valve repair

Alright. I'll check it out and report back in a few days!
  24. I

I don't have a pump to check that unfortunately unless you can use a standard vacuum with an interesting patch job?
  25. I

I'll make sure to check both out. I don't have a lot of cleaning stuff in my house, but I will certainly check if my buddy has anything for carbon. Do you guys have any recommendations as to how to clean a carbon build up like that? Of course, I could just look up youtube, but I wanna hear if...
Back