Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Vanishing Fuel

What I can deduce was happening is that I would put some gas in, check the level and drive home ... but I did not check what I had at home! The leak I found was spraying gas all over the inside of the left rear chassis so a lot of it was contained (and sprayed over) the vehicle. I guess most of...
  2. S

Vanishing Fuel

Eventually found it! Just as rlcrafts quoted above. There was a hole in the feed fuel line just at the base of the fuel sender plate that mounts to the top of tank. Just big enough to spew out fuel at a high rate when the engine is running (fuel pump on) ... so in 32 degree snowy weather I...
  3. S

Vanishing Fuel

Not yet. These are great ideas and easy to do ... I'll do this a little later today. If fuel was leaking into the engine from one (or more) injectors would this not make for difficult starts? My EX starts first time, no problems. Thanks!
  4. S

Vanishing Fuel

Yes. I put just over 1/4 in. Within ~2 days it's in the red with no driving ... not a gauge, sender or battery issue - tank would be overflowing by now if that were the case... I think?
  5. S

Vanishing Fuel

No work on the car recently .... $20 buys me about 5 gallons gas in Canada, but even that is a lot to evaporate.
  6. S

Vanishing Fuel

For almost two months I though that too .... until I locked it in the garage!
  7. S

Vanishing Fuel

For about the last two months there has been a very prominent fuel smell when standing outside my EX. I can put $20 gas in the tank and within two days the tank is empty (without any driving). I've placed a long sheet of brown paper under there are no signs of leaks ... all I can imagine is a...
  8. S

Multipoint Sequential Gas Injection?

LPG Kit? Does anyone know where we can get this done or buy the kit in the US or Canada? www links, tel number? Thanks!
  9. S

Modulator Valve from Hell

Yes, got the double bolt (nut first) out and the u-shaped bracket that holds it in. Bottom line, the modulator is so rusted that it is almost "fuse" to the tranny case.
  10. S

Modulator Valve from Hell

Ok, after determining the cause of the problem I decided to replace my defective modulator. I did a lot of reading on the forums and felt I was prepared for this; not! Got everything apart to reach the modulator without problem (I did not have to take out either seat, just pulled up the...
  11. S

Help!! Vanishing Transmission Fluid

Thanks for all the help! As usual, the BEST info is found here. Last night I pulled the vac hose that runs to the modulator and it is covered in ATF on the inside. Confirmation that this is my problem. So one more question before I replace it (yes, I'm a sucker for punnishment). Seems as...
  12. S

Help!! Vanishing Transmission Fluid

For the last few months I have been trying to find out where the ATF for my '92 X is going. I fill it full and then within 3,000 miles it is dry (won't engage). This is the third round and I am now lost. There are no leaks. I've gone as far as putting white cardboard on the garage floor and it...
  13. S

Transmission Engage Problem when Cold

Our '91 XLT has recently aquired a new problem ... transmission won't engage after the first start in the morning on cold days (about 10F and below). Here's what happens: Start engine and go for any gear. Nothing. Seems like it is still in N or P. Then we go to N. Rev engine to 3K and let it...
  14. S

Bad Front Differential? Help Please!

Well our hubs arrived last Friday. By Saturday lunchtime all the problems were solved! Both the old hubs were bad. Really bad. The 4X4 works perfectly and the Warn's are the best. Also, if you have to do this job you must see DeRocha's "U-joint replacement info and pics" (see the post prior to...
  15. S

Video Clips of the Problems Well after a week our locking hubs have still not arrived ... so much for express delivery. Anyway, we have not given up on the problem. On Saturday we executed a few more experiments. Also have some video that will maybe help someone else as well as maybe some more...
  16. S

Well after all the experimenting of the weekend and the comments from others I have also capitulated and orded a pair or WARN's. I figure even if this is not my problem I'll probably need them at some time. I managed to find a really great deal. Gary's Automotive (Galion OH). For $199 I got a...
  17. S

As far as I know the U-Joints are original (they look it too). So what about this clunk and grinding noise ... and the wheel stops spinning? It is quite a violent activity ... this is what has me really concerned.
  18. S

LHS for the driver side. But this is the side with the problem. RHS (passenger) side seems to work fine ... well it spins on the ice without stopping. Tomorrow I'll rip the hub apart and see if there is anything there. Can I just swop left and right hubs and see if the problem moves to the other...
  19. S

Yep, I thought of that too but it does not explain the fact that the driveshaft stops turning even though the grinding noise and shaft from the transfer case keeps turning. If it were the hub that was bad I would think the driveshaft to the wheel would keep turning and the wheel stop turning...
  20. S

Hi, My son and I have a '92 XLT. For the last few month there has been heavy, intermittent clunk sound and/or grinding noise from the front diff. Only when 4WD is enabled. Today I had my son do the driving and I stood outside and watched. Had it on a patch of ice against a snow bank. When...
Back