Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

The Unnamed Project

I'll keep the forum updated with the ride quality of those shocks as I add more miles to them. But for now, like them but sometimes on wavy/washboard or broken pavement...its an 8 second ride of you know what I mean. I really dont know if it's the bound or rebound but my educated guess would...
  2. T

The Unnamed Project

If you check out my reply here - Oct EF Lottery , that will explain a lot and how I got the Explorer. Let me ask you guys and gals for some help before we go any further. I'm looking for a project name. Granted I've been working on her since i got her but calling her The Explorer is not...
  3. T

Oct EF Lottery

Dont know what to say other than, THANK YOU. @CDW6212R I will get to that sometime today. Here's the thread - The Unnamed Project
  4. T

so SLOW

Any update
  5. T

Shock replacements

The point of OE stuff is to bring back that factory feel. It doesn't have to be Motorcraft per se; just something similar. As for life span...it is unknown. A new set of shocks can fail within 5 miles after install while some can last 70, 90 or 100 thousand miles. It depends on use and how...
  6. T

Shock replacements

That shudder you have, I have it to at the same speed. Its can be a few things, but i dont think shocks is one of them. I replaced mine in the last thirty days and I still have that shudder, and I'm using Gabriel ProGuards up front and Gabriel Load Adjusting Shocks in the rear. So I have a...
  7. T

Replace torsion bar?

@donalds I'm a bit picky when it comes to color. I have the deep Wedgewood paint and I want blue bushings/boots to match. I'm okay with black ones though. But I hate mixing colors. Speaking of; I'm about to paint the Gabriel load shock springs black as they are red. You said your LCA came...
  8. T

Replace torsion bar?

@swshawaii I thought about Moog's R series but I read some iffy stuff about them. Basically since they are made to cover a wider range of vehicles, a direct fit may not be feasible. The tolerances are to great. Not saying they won't work and with a 3 year warranty, it still may not be a bad...
  9. T

Replace torsion bar?

I'm leaning towards Mevotech due to price. I tried searching the forums for any information on them but most of it is to broad. I would like to use Moog but the price is killing me. Basically its twice as much for Moog parts than Mevotech. But Moog has better return policies and customer...
  10. T

Replace torsion bar?

This is just one of reasons im changing every control arm. Yes, that is day light you see and no, I'm not 100% sure what what caused it. But that doesn't matter. As I said that is just one of the reasons. The other two reasons are bushings and to change the two piece UCA and make it a one...
  11. T

Oct EF Lottery

During my second deployment, my wife okayed me getting a project vehicle with the extra money I get while deployed. My original choice was a Cherokee. And while deployed, I compiled a list of parts that I was going to put on; from shocks to lift kit, to lockers and tires, you name it, it was...
  12. T

so SLOW

Thanks for the vids. I use my phone 90% of the time and most forums default to a simple view version. So I switched it over to desk top view to look at your signature. Is the X is question the one in your signature? If so you have after market exhaust that may have failed. I assume its...
  13. T

so SLOW

Correct, it's just a theory. I may be pushing it a bit hard and making sound like that is the problem, but I really was just pointing out that it is possible to change trans gear ratios. It could be simple as a getiing some bad fuel. Air filter clogged. Spark plug and/wires are fouled...
  14. T

so SLOW

There are a few revisions of the M50D. R1s, R2s and both those are found in HD versions as well. After a quick search, it seems they all came with different trans gear ratios. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable at the bell housing but to me, you can yank the gears out and stuff them...
  15. T

so SLOW

Ive edit my post to state the link is for reference only. I hope that the OP finds the problem and fixes it.
  16. T

so SLOW

Edit: The link below is for reference only. Ford 5R55E transmission Don't know how accurate that is but if any of those gear ratios was changed (manual or automatic) then you can have problems. Any trans that is built, its built for a specific engine horsepower and torque. After...
  17. T

so SLOW

Might want to look into it. If the trans is using after market gearing, they may not be the correct ones that the orginal had and therefore you are missing the motors power/torque range.
  18. T

Hearing rattle through shifter handle

Can you link it? I'm not sure if it's the cable or the whole assembly.
  19. T

Hearing rattle through shifter handle

Oh yeah....I'm about to revive an 16 year old thread. I have the same rattle in my 2000s shifter. I had it a part and there is a plunger/cylinder with a cut out that looks like a flat tip screwdriver fits in. And no, it doesn't tighten, tried it. But that is what is rattling around. I also...
  20. T

so SLOW

I skimmed through and noticed no one asked you this: Was the transmission rebuilt from the ground up or replaced with a different one which may have been used with a different axle ratio?
  21. T

Anyone use amsoil in the shoc 4.0

Up to $17 bucks...dang. That will make my oil change with filter around 20 bucks.
  22. T

Anyone use amsoil in the shoc 4.0

I think I used Amsoil once in the rear end 2000 Chevy truck. It failed due to the idiot's that did the work. Seems they didn't properly seal the diff cover and I got mud inside which destroyed all the internals. They didnt cover it due to the time that had past and my insurance wouldn't...
  23. T

Shock replacements

Actually, tounge weight should be around 10% of what the trailet is rated for. So if your trailer is rated for 3500lbs, your tounge weight should not exceed 350lbs. BTW: Dont exceed the towing capacity of your vehicle. Refer to your owner's manual.
  24. T

Shock replacements

I finally got around to replacing my shocks yesterday. My rears had to be orginal. If so, 212,x.. on them. I replaced them with these: Gabriel - Mobile Product Search | Detailed Product Page And yea, it did raise the rear up by 1 inch or so. They may not be as 'strong' as the Monroes but...
  25. T

My spare tire

Nice looking tire and rim for being that old. Most of the time the rim is half eaten with rust due to it never being removed. I agree with Koda2000. Get a new one either the same size you have now or close enough. A spare is only to limp you to the nearest repair place, not drive another 100...
Back