Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Tire Recommendation

Hey fellas I've got a 97 4WD 4.0 auto and I finally got paid so I'm gonna go get me some tires (235/75/15). Looking at A/T as I'll do a lot of town driving for work but probably off-road during the weekends. So far I'm considering Falken Wildpeaks and Hankook Dynapros with the dealer leaning...
  2. T

4WD Issue - Can shift into LOW but not out

I don't plan on doing any sort of mod jobs with my Explorer but it's def something to keep in mind. Thanks guys, and I'll update when I do the shift motor replacement/repair.
  3. T

Yeah it's Control Trac. It was my understanding that the AWD systems were for the 5.0s and that CT was just on demand 4x4.
  4. T

No joy on tapping the shift motor, now it's not wanting to shift into LOW at all. I'm probably gonna try replacing the shift motor at some point in the future.
  5. T

Issue with my 97 XLT that I'd like to get resolved as I'll be doing more offroading this year. 4WD for the most part is fine, in and out of high with no problem. The computer can kick it on and off as needed without any fuss. An issue I'm running into is 4WD LOW, it'll shift into it but...
  6. T

Missing bit for my car jack

I don't think there's a salvage yard nearby so online might be my only choice. I'll check it out, thanks!
  7. T

Missing bit for my car jack

Went out to check something on my 97 XLT and I had to lift it up. When I went to get my jack and the rods used to turn it I noticed that the bit in the rod that goes into the jack to turn it (looks like a flat head) was missing. I could turn it with just the tire iron by hand but that would...
  8. T

(97 XLT V6 OHV 4WD) Realistic expectations for MPG?

How else am I supposed to do it without spending $100 on those little digital things to check it? I don't know what wrong with your guys odometer but mine is pretty accurate give or take a mile (was able to confirm after getting gas and driving home).
  9. T

Update Was finally able to get a good measurement after getting it near empty. The final tally after replacing the air filter with a clean Motorcraft OEM one, mostly highway, a balance between sporty and conservative driving with cruise control, no windows down, and very rare A/C usage (I do...
  10. T

I know what the official number is but again it's a 21 year old SUV. I need to replace the air filter and the rear tires. Fuel pump has already been replaced. As it stands I was able to get about 210 on the last tank with reasonable windows down driving. This tank I've spent most of the...
  11. T

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

I've had it for 9 months
  12. T

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

97 XLT 4WD V6 4.0L OHV Automatic, only thing changed on it is the fuel pump
  13. T

And so it starts...

My story into my Explorer is a bit of an interesting one so hang tight for a hot minute. I remember in the March of 2013 I came home from school one day, in the yard sat a Green 99 4runner SR5. I walked in and asked my old man about it. "Who's ride is that out in the yard?" "Well I guess...
Back