Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

A4LD Governor Replacement

Just out of curiousity, how long does it take to get to? Could this me a job that could easily be done in a few hours?
  2. S

Accessing Factory Sub

thats saves me some time then. I was pulling out blolts trying to take the whole black piece that had the sub, amps and everything attatched to it. :) I didnt know that stuff just pryed off. Thanks again!
  3. S

Accessing Factory Sub

I have a 91 Explorer XLT with the JBL sound in it. The factory subwoofer is blown, so I went to try to pry that access panel to it open, and it sounded like it was about to break, so I stopped. Is there a different way im supposed to access that speaker? Or does that plastic piece pop out?
  4. S

Can anyone help my on this?!?

Hmm, never checked the band. But, yah unfortunately the problem is the same whether its hot or cold. How much worse of a problem is that than a governor?
  5. S

Whats your opinion on my other question? Does it hurt the tranny any to drive it the way it is for now? It shifts out of first as long as I lift my foot off the gas and re-apply it at about 2000rpm. All other gears shift fine.
  6. S

Thanks, I think I'll go with the upgraded one! Oh, one more question. Does it hurt the tranny any to drive it the way it is for now? It shifts out of first as long as I lift my foot off the gas and re-apply it at about 2000rpm. All other gears are fine. Oh, and Brooklyn Bay. Does that site carry...
  7. S

Sounds good. Thanks!
  8. S

Ok, well I know that I need to get my governor replaced or get it to stop sticking, but I figure if I'm in there, I might aswell just replace it. Long story short, when I went to Ford Dealer they kept telling my that my 91 Explorer is electronically controlled and that there is no governor in...
  9. S

This sounds to absurd to be true!

Didnt think so, I dont even know where the hell he got this idea from, but common sense got the better of me and I thought it would end up doing more bad then good.
  10. S

This sounds to absurd to be true!

Ok, I have been having the ongoing problem with the 1-2 shift and after being on here and trying different things, I am now about 99% sure its the Governor. Anyway, I was talking about the problem to one of my buddies after work, and he told me that he knew how to fix it very easily. He told me...
  11. S

Someone needs to clear this up for me!

Ok, once I get the parts. How involved of a process is this? How long would it take me? And is the governor at the front or rear of the transfer case?
  12. S

Only problem with Ford is when I called them asking about getting it replaced they said there was no governor. They basically called me a liar. So I dunno. Is there another name they for it that they call it?
  13. S

Attn: BrooklynBay or any other tranny experts!

I linked this to the thread I started a few days ago and got no response, so I figured this one may get your attention. Clicky the linky! :) http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166422
  14. S

Ok, so my Explorer has the standard problem that points to the governor sticking. (Delay from park to reverse/drive. No 1-2 shift unless I let up on the gas then it will shift.) I already replaced them modulator(and yes I remember to put the pin back in) and it still did it. So, I call autozone...
  15. S

Mechanic says it isnt the Governor?

Well, it also has a pretty big delay going into reverse too. That is why my friend suggested the Valve Body. Oh, and I drove it longer today. 1-2 shift is the only one it has problems with. It does the rest (including O/D) just fine. Do you still go with Governor as the culprit?
  16. S

Ok, looks like I'll have to dive in and check it out. What is the likelyhood that itss the Valve Body? How hard is that to fix?
  17. S

Oh, one more thing? Should I go ahead and give the Lucas Tranny Fix a chance? Would that unstick the valve-body and/or governor if they are indeed sticking?
  18. S

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate all of you helping me out! I'll try tackleing the governor first. Then If the problem persists, i will be getting in touch with Glacier!
  19. S

Should I try doing the Governor first before I put the Lucas in?
  20. S

Ok, well as some of you may know, I have been having an on-going battle with my 91 X's tranny. It would not shift 1-2 until I let off the gas, coast for a few seconds then when i pressed it back down, it would shift. Anyway, I was told to check and andjust (if needed) the kickdown cable. That is...
  21. S

sulfer smell engine running rough

Another good way to tell. If you drive it for a while then look under and see if the cats glow red. Usually if they are REALLY clogged, they will get so hot that they will glow. I'm almost positive based on your description that its clogged cats
  22. S

Ok, what should I try next?

Thanks. Governor will be the next thing on my list
  23. S

Nobody, can help? :(
  24. S

Well, got the VMV replaced with a new unit, and the explorer still has the same problem. I start from a stop and she wont come out of 1st. So I'll let it go to about 3-4k then I'll let off the gas and pump it, it will rev freely a couple of times, then it will finally shift. I have no clue what...
  25. S

Quick VMV Question

I got the old one out, "almost lost the pin" and I am in the process of putting the new one in. I put it up to the hole and it doesnt seem to go in very far. How much should this thing go in? Will the bracket push it in when I tighten it? If I just tap it a little, it'll fall out... if someone...
Back