Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Growl/Rumble - Not Wheel Bearing

When you say grease, do you mean gear oil? The stuff that dribbled out from the fill plug looked as clean as the day I put it in two years ago. There is no lateral play in the pinion. I'll see how much lash there is. I agree the diff probably needs to come out. With my little setup I can drop...
  2. R

I agree it sounds dry. I pulled the fill plug and oil dribbled out when i started investigating this. Also, there is not any oil buildup to indicate a leak anywhere.
  3. R

It has been some time with me driving and listening to the annoying growl. No new symptoms, but I have done something crazy: I bought two refurbed CVs off rock auto on clearance cheaper than the $30 the junk yard wanted I then swapped out my CVs for the stubs from the refurbed CVs to apply the...
  4. R

2nd gen 01 cluster upgrade question

Drive type matters with the white/silver gauges. The white gauge face isn't printed with the indicators on 2wd rigs. Your choices are to live with it or look for a 4x4 cluster.
  5. R

I keep wondering if all of this is a result of the Torsen i put in the rear end, but I tore that apart at 500 miles (300 miles after the sound started) and I everything was tight. The bearing surfaces looked good and everything rolled smooth. I used Timken bearings in the rear as well and I did...
  6. R

I looked over the brakes when I did the hubs and I didn't notice anything odd. It is worth another look. The tcase fluid was new one year ago. It's the Valvoline full synthetic transfercase fluid. The bearings are timken. I was tempted to remove the front diff and CVs to see if that eliminated...
  7. R

I'll try to make this short. I'm trying to diagnose a growl/rumble that starts at about 20mph and is most noticable at 35-40 mph. Any faster and I don't hear or feel it. It is not the wheel bearings or the front driveshaft. I first noticed it 200 miles after installing a rear limited slip. The...
  8. R

Solved Cruise control not turning on. What fixed my problem

It's not worth the hassle to go to the dealer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYLZDO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_6xGlEbG2ZD8H8 You won't need the harness, but this is the cheap way to get the motorcraft part SW6349. You can test the system without the pressure switch by jumping the terminals of the...
  9. R

Low Mile Differential

Ford 8.8 Differential 31 Spline Loaded Carrier *50K Miles* F150 Mustang Explorer | eBay
  10. R

Torsen Limited Slip Differential on Sale

I stumbled on this while looking to add LSD to my '04 Sporttrac. Torsen® Traction Torsen is clearing out left over inventory from when they supplied Ford with differentials for the FX4 Level II Rangers which were 31 spline. They are cool because they do not rely on clutches for the LS action...
  11. R

Advice please. Heat problems.

My first though is air in the system, but... If the water pump vanes have corroded away, the pump won't be effective enough to force coolant through the heater lines at low RPM.
  12. R

2004 Transmission cooler stock location

I occasionally use the app to get a 'feel' for everyday temps. I usually leave the obdII connector plugged in full time and launch the app on occasion. Today I saw temps level at 150-155 degrees in 50 degree weather. No load, mixed driving. Everything I have come across has indicated that...
  13. R

I got thinking about this. I really was thinking about running something similar, but I discovered the Torque app on Android can pick up the trans fluid temp. It actually has two different readings that run about 5-10 degrees apart from each other. Maybe two OE trans temp sensors? I am not...
  14. R

I had a similar thought, the heat would be generated at the point of resistance if there was an issue of poor continuity. I would hypothesize that the worst continuity is the ball mount to the hitch receiver. Two loose fit painted surfaces. I dont think 12v is enough to damage a trailer hitch...
  15. R

Thanks! Great pictures. I noticed there are about 3-4" wasted space at the top of my stock cooler. Im tempted to find a stacked plate type with the same width, but taller than stock. My truck only has 39,000 miles, so I'm kinda at the starting line for preventative maintenance.
  16. R

I do like the isolated tow light circuits. I see alot of value in those. I occasionally find myself towing an unfamiliar trailer while helping friends or family with something. I always hold my breath when I connect the lights. Some makes/models pull all of the current through the headlight...
  17. R

What was included then, if not the single most important piece of hardware? My '00 Ranger had an oem 4-pin, but not a hitch, come to think of it. It simply had a bumper hole.
  18. R

I'm having trouble seeing the pictures. I know this is an old thread, but a how-to is worth being to the top, right? I'm curious, did all 1st gen Sport Tracs come with aux trans coolers? Was it a dealer add-on? My aux cooler looks like it was mounted by the factory, but the lines are installed...
  19. R

Accessory Delay 2001 ST

My 2004 has that feature. Being able to adjust the windows is very convenient.
  20. R

Seat Recline Lever

Has anyone found a source for a replacement seat recline lever? Or a clever fix/mod. Mine is broken on the driver's seat as were the levers on several STs I looked at before I found mine. It seems to be a weak point. There is one on eBay for $100....:confused2:
Back